Author Topic: removing the camshaft without pulling the flywheel?  (Read 4891 times)

Erwin

• View Profile
removing the camshaft without pulling the flywheel?
« on: August 02, 2006, 01:08:58 PM »
Hello guys,

since last week I'm the owner of an original 1946 Lister CS 12-2 engine.

The engine is in running condition but I hear a strange noise when I slowly turn the crankshaft by hand. It sounds like there's something loose inside the engine. I opened the crankcase door for a further investigation. After a short look inside the beast it was very clear for me, the governer gear wheel is loose on the camshaft! The taper pin which has to fix this gear is still in place but the 2 holes into the governer gear wheel are enlarged due to some reason. I have no idea how this could happen or maybe it's just normal after a lot of running hours (I don't know the historie of the engine). Does anybody else had a similar problem with his (original) CS twin-engine?
Anyway I've to repair it. At the moment I don't know how but first I've to remove the camshaft to be able to do a detailed investigation.

According the original Lister manual you have to remove the governer end flywheel before you can remove the camshaft. I've read on different locations that's not always easy to remove a flywheel. Does anybody know if it's really needed to remove that governer end flywheel to remove the camshaft? The engine has 6-spoke flywheels and there's maybe enough space between two spokes to pull out the camshaft. Any experience from CS twin owners?

I really hope that only the 'camshaft' bore of the cam gear wheel is worn out and not the camshaft itself. What about those Listeroid spare parts, is there a possibility to put such a camshaft in my engine?

Best Regards,

Erwin from Belgium

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: removing the camshaft without pulling the flywheel?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 01:16:33 PM »

According the original Lister manual you have to remove the governer end flywheel before you can remove the camshaft.

Correct, Lister are describing the RIGHT way to do the job, there may be other ways, but they are not the right way.

Not removing the flywheel means you can't get your eyes and hands in to the camshaft / governor / oil pump / fuel pump area, except by reaching through and around  big lumps of iron. That's how perfectly good components end up getting broken.

You don't know better than Lister so don't try to second guess them, do it their way and any problems you have will be easily overcome and none of them of your making.

HTH etc
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

GIII

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 01:37:15 PM »
I've read that it is possible to remove the cam through the spokes of the flywheel without destroying anything.  I have not tried it on an original Lister so I can not state it as fact for that engine.  From what I have read the Lister CS was/is the finest engineering work ever to emerge from the hands of man so I am surprized that the holes have wallowed out; perhaps someone in the past used Listeroid repair parts!
Good luck with your repairs,
George

fuddyduddy

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 01:52:25 PM »
It is OK to leave 6 spoke flywheels on to remove the cam, at least based on the below.

Here is what woodnmetal guy has to say about that at http://community.webshots.com/photo/541657887/1542228058066426112YItIVD .

George at utterpower says it is not tough to do, and I'll bet John F will say it can be done without a problem.

Any more?  No, I have not done it, so claim innocence.

Erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 02:42:47 PM »
Yes I was already surprised to see those "wallowed out" holes. I cannot understand why Lister didn't use a little key to secure the cam gear wheel on the camshaft. Especially in a twin the camshaft is heavy loaded with 2 fuel pumps, 4 valves and the oil pump.

It's clear the only good way to removing the camshaft is using the Lister way --> removing the governer end flywheel.
According woodnmetal guy it's possible without removing the flywheel but than you have to remove the cover studs but he has a single cilinder engine. The camshaft of a twin is much longer and maybe this method is no longer valid.

As soon as I've the camshaft in my hands I'll post a few pictures.

BR,

Erwin

Erwin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 03:44:22 PM »
I mean I was also surprised

BR,

Erwin

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 12:05:23 AM »
I've removed my cam cover by pulling the studs. You just rotate it a bit and slide it off the end of the cam shaft. Then take the cam out through the hole in the flywheel. Piece of cake!
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.