Puppeteer

Author Topic: Metal working files  (Read 4614 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Metal working files
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 12:13:12 AM »
I`m a big fan of angle grinders of all sizes but I tend to steer clear of the four inch 1 mm cutting disks, had a couple of near misses with them shattering and throwing shrapnel everywhere.

A Dremel is also a handy tool for fine work or confined spaces.

Bob

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 12:36:31 AM »
The 125mm battery angle grinder with 80-grit flap disc is a very versatile carpentry tool.  I use it all the time.  I am sure Jesus would approve

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 07:26:38 AM »
I LOVE the 4½" grinder, with flap wheel, grinding disc and slitting disc, the guys I worked with a few years back when I was messing about with Hovercraft used to refer to it as my 4½" lathe.

Bob, you're right about the 1mm discs, you have to treat them with respect or they shrapnel in a big way, don't side load them and don't try to polish welds with them either. If you drop the grinder they shatter pretty easily too. Using a 1mm disc to chop through wood, when nothing else will fit in the available space, the smoke is amazing, ask me how I know.....

It would be nice to have a plasma cutter, but I can't, yet!, justify the expense of a big one and when I used a small one, some while back it's true, I wasn't very impressed.

Cheers
Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.