Author Topic: Before it's all over.....  (Read 8649 times)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: Before it's all over.....
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 07:14:08 AM »
Hey Guys,

I ain't the moderator but I can see where this semi political line could end up. We all know why we value this site so please let it slide.

You can slag me for free, if it helps!!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 11:58:42 AM »
Dont agree with you Johndoh, but would fight for you to be able to air your views. Unfortunately over here some ppl only want your opinion as long as its the same as theirs and will do anything to stifle any debate. Anyway it would be a boring world if we all thought the same way. At least we have a few things in common. Old Machinery and diesel and petrol fumes. Wishing all a happy new year and may it rain Listers.
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

guest23837

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 01:15:09 PM »
I dislike all politicians with good reason. In my country we have murderers that oppose abortion, party leaders that get a free £50,000.00 holiday and "forget it", campaigns about "shoot to kill" policies against illegal armies, unemployed barmen with holiday homes, politicians wives giving public money and contracts to their toyboy and so on.
Jeremy Paxman of the BBC said that every time he interviews a politician his first thought is "why is this bastard lying to me"? I think thats a good basis for viewing politicians.
#
Happy new year to you too basewindow, my advice is believe nothing be cynical and if possible be self sufficient you'll get no help from any government if you need it.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 04:08:31 PM »
I guess I still don't get it.

Political crap deleted.

What the Dickens was this thread about?

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

guest23837

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2018, 05:00:47 PM »
That's the beauty of what politicians say lowgear it's all temporary throwaway stuff and quickly forgotten. The only political quote I remember was by Enoch Powell he said all political careers end in failure!

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2018, 09:31:19 PM »
Well maybe Johndoh we agree on more than we both know. Wouldnt trust any Politician as far as I could kick them, or believe anything that comes out of their mouths. And we have the same issues over here with them rorting the system for personal and political gain, overseas junket holidays with the family etc.

Having worked in, lets say a semi 'Public Service' roll for thirty years, I know full well how statistics were manipulated for public consumption, and were manufactured by various means to the conclusion required. As they say, Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.

I guess what I was trying to say about Trump (And failed miserably) was more about the biased reporting or manipulation of the reporting, because of who he is and what he stands for and the double standards they have in that regard in pushing certain agendas. As my son would say he's a bit of a 'Tool' and probably brings alot of it on himself by his stupid 'tweets' and outlandish comments.
Most media here, both commercial or Government is so PC or stacked either way, that the 'truth' is almost impossible to ascertain.

An example is Climate Change. Now logic would suggest there is man made climate change (just look at the smog etc over cities) but such outlandish claims have been made, statistics manipulated and out right lies told, by both sides for political gain, that average joe just cant make an informed decision.
Guess we all get frustrated because they cant see the Forest fir the trees.

Thats why we are old grumpy men, who would rather talk to our machines, and seek solice in our man sheds, and the cathartic feel of bringing the past back to life. Certainly makes me feel better.
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2018, 02:29:44 PM »
Well the Insurance Industry believe in climate change, their actuary's have already adjusted premiums to suit. I just hope they haven't miscalculated the speed that it is happening otherwise after the next bushfire,flood( insert appropriate disaster here) the premiums will go crazy.

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2018, 09:13:33 PM »
Yep Oldgoat, thats what I mean, everyone's jumping on the bandwagon, to make a profit or to push an agenda.

guest23837

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2018, 09:44:06 PM »
It's 9.45 pm in Ireland and 11c it should be less than 5c

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2018, 10:55:12 PM »
35 degrees, here i  Gosford today. Must be Global warming.  Nope, just summer.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2018, 09:09:44 AM »
A very comfortable 32 degrees here today, night time temperatures around 17 degrees. I am not a believer in the government/business sponsored BS about global warming. The planet has been warming up since the last ice age, presumably it will start to cool down as we go into the next one (this has been going on since before mankind). My guess is that the same bunch of lame politicians will then try to blame me for Global Cooling and jack up my taxes again to combat it. Wonder if I will be able to claim back the money we paid to combat Global Warming?

Bob

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2018, 01:37:13 PM »
The biggest problem seems to be the rate at which it is warming it appears to be occuring over a period of hundreds of years rather than thousands. The ability of us to breed grain crops and other food sources to may be a bit of a problem. Many of the glaciers are a form of water storage. Most of them are in inaccesible places not conducive to building dams and we don't seem to have a solution for that at the moment. Probably the most dramatic has been the Muir glacier in Alaska where  more than 200 ft thick ice has retreated approximately 50 km. That is a lot of water that is no longer stored.

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2018, 09:47:29 PM »
But is that a bad thing?  You could say that a lot of water has released for use, land released for use? Im no climate scientist but does it have to mean doom  and disaster? Some areas may become less appealing or less usefull, but other areas once uninhabitable will become habitable and useful. Humans are a very adaptable species, the climate has changed multiple times over the period humans have been on the planet.
Id be more worried about overpopulation which in essence is really causing the issues. But nobody wants to tackle that because its not PC. If you really want to talk about long term sustainability, then its something that will eventually need to be looked at.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2018, 11:29:52 PM »
+1, Basewindow. We need to tackle over population, if we don`t nature will!

Bob

guest23837

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2018, 11:38:37 PM »
I use "green" electricity. Yes it's a little more expensive and yes it comes through the same wires however it's generated with wind and by burning willow. Every person that uses green electricity means there is a little less oil or coal burnt. Thats how it is supposed to work. The people that are "going on" about climate change aren't big businesses and governments they currently don't give a stuff and only do token things to try to look good. It's ordinary people, people that want there to be a useable planet here for their children and grandchildren. It does matter a lot if the ice caps melt, most people now live in large urban centres ie towns and cities. These are usually located near large rivers or close to the oceans. That's where the most arable land is as well as well. Raise the oceans a foot (remember the planet has much more water than land) and we will be overrun with King Canute types fleeing to higher ground, ground which is less arable and has less useable water. The ground is already warmer this makes the moisture evaporate and fall as rain in the middle of the oceans at the same time it makes the soil less useful for growing stuff. We can't feed, or choose not to feed everyone on the planet now. Imagine the oceans rising displaces 1/7 of the planes population that's over a billion people.
Many of the immigrants trying to get into America are going there because for the third year in a row the rain didn't come and their crops failed. It's already started and we really have only a short time to fix things. If we don't we are condemning our descendants to a life of misery poverty and want. Their descendants are likely to be nuclear survivors moving from oasis to oasis on camels!