How to / DIY > Engines

Granite surface plate, cheep!

(1/5) > >>

dkwflight:
Hi Group I've been thinking about a lapping plate, where to get one?

I just drove by a place that is making counter tops out of various colored granite from around the world. I stopped and asked  for a scrap piece. Got one 2' square for nothin!
I was so pleased I gave the yard guy a $20

From what I have seen in many houses the top is pretty true by the reflections in the surface.
I think If I was going to use it as a true surface I would want to set the plate in grout for extra support as it is only about 1" thick
Dennis

GuyFawkes:
That is NOT a surface plate.

domestic granite is a completely different grade.

sir needs one of these

18" square, 150 quid

if they are any good they usually come with certificate AND case, like these

you can also get cast iron ones

which are bloody useless if the thing you're trying to analyse is magnetic....

dkwflight:
Hi Guy
I know about those.
I don't think they can be had for 150 Quid?, over here.
I thought that since I would be useing an abrasive compound to lap my heads I really did not want a high quality surface plate.
How ever the piece of granite ment for a counter top would be flat enough for most home shop aplications.
If one wanted to go through the process of flattening three pieces useing finer and finer grits, one could arrive at a perfectly flat surface plate. Substituting labor for $ or Quid. The process is discribed in several places. also used for making straight edges.
Thanks
Dennis

kyradawg:

Peace&Love :D, Darren

dkwflight:
Hi Dawg
Glass will work just as well. I have a book on restoring old machinery that describes the process of scraping ways using a good straight edge and a purple dye to indicate high spots. With enough patience and a little skill you can get any surface to within almost any tolerance you need.
For a home shop or a Lister head how flat do you want?
Dennis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version