Author Topic: small end bush  (Read 11097 times)

iann

• View Profile
small end bush
« on: July 25, 2006, 10:43:48 PM »
how do i remove the small end bush from the con rod on a 6/1 CS. suppose there is a special tool.

thx ian
1953 lister CS 6/1, lister B, Villiers XIIc, Seagull 40+ outbourd

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: small end bush
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 12:03:16 AM »
Fly press and correct mandrel

http://www.abana.org/ronreil/flypress.shtml

_well_ worth a read for the yanks

VASTLY under-rated tool, can do things you can NEVER do with a hydraulic press.

bit like listers, actually about 100 x as clever as it looks

--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

Jackpine Savage

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 03:35:19 PM »
Note: I'm not a machinist or a mechanic but am trying to learn!

On this side of the pond arbor presses seem to be more common. I'd never heard of a fly press before. What are the pros and cons of each?

http://www.greenerd.com/arbor.htm

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 04:05:47 PM »

On this side of the pond arbor presses seem to be more common. I'd never heard of a fly press before. What are the pros and cons of each?

You get that big flywheel spinning and when the ram hits, things move, or break.
With an arbor press all you can do is get a longer pipe to put over the handle.  Arbor press is a bit faster for repetitive light duty work like a push broach for a keyway.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 04:46:58 PM »

You get that big flywheel spinning and when the ram hits, things move, or break.
With an arbor press all you can do is get a longer pipe to put over the handle.  Arbor press is a bit faster for repetitive light duty work like a push broach for a keyway.

nooooooooooooooo

flypress you can adjust, as exactly as you like.

a/ stroke length
b/ stroke speed
c/ stroke force

flypress is absolutely PERFECT for jobs like inserting or removing bushes, bearings, inserts, you name it, also great for punching, bending, forming and all sorts of other kinds of metalwork.

quite apart from the fact NO POWER SOURCE required, you can do everything from punching a 0.5 mm hole in a fresh egg to a 500 ton impact on the same piece of equipment, bed metal into rings of any diameter you like, make folded damask / katana type metals, cut, punch, shape, form, peen, swage, and even WELD with a flypress.

read the link I gave.
--
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 05:15:46 PM »

nooooooooooooooo

flypress you can adjust, as exactly as you like.

a/ stroke length
b/ stroke speed
c/ stroke force

flypress is absolutely PERFECT for jobs like inserting or removing bushes, bearings, inserts, you name it, also great for punching, bending, forming and all sorts of other kinds of metalwork.

quite apart from the fact NO POWER SOURCE required, you can do everything from punching a 0.5 mm hole in a fresh egg to a 500 ton impact on the same piece of equipment, bed metal into rings of any diameter you like, make folded damask / katana type metals, cut, punch, shape, form, peen, swage, and even WELD with a flypress.

read the link I gave.

I did not say you could not use a flypress with finesse. ;)
I just said you can spin that flywheel up storing a lot of energy and hit shit hard, something you cannot do with an arbor press.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 05:27:41 PM »

I did not say you could not use a flypress with finesse. ;)
I just said you can spin that flywheel up storing a lot of energy and hit shit hard, something you cannot do with an arbor press.

or a hydraulic press, or anything else except the old flywheel and crank factory presses

http://www.gandmtools.com/cat_branch.php?sub=14
--

oldnslow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 06:24:08 PM »
I had good results with an arbor press and properly sized mandrel, but on other diesel engines not listeroids.  Last time I just let a machine shop do it. I gave them the new bushing and the wrist pin. The rod was returned to me with the new bushing installed and reamed to the proper size.

I must say though, that fly press is killer. Bookmarking that page.
Mistakes are the cost of tuition.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 06:40:01 PM »
if you are contemplating replacement of the rod end bushing, you might consider letting a machine shop do the work, reasons are

1. they are tooled to not only remove and replace the bushing, but are also equipped to ..

a. size the bushing properly to your wrist pin

b. straighten a tweaked rod

c. check alignment and resize the big end as needed.

all of which maybe be sorely lacking with the original rod from an indian manufacture.

the cost of which is not that bad, i would expect an engine machine shop could do it for 20 or 30 bucks, and you have a quality finished product.
also they can magnaflux the rod and make sure is has no cracks, and for a bit more can match a pair for weight, remove flashing, and shot pean if you like.
all of which (according to the individual) may or may not be required.

probably not a repair most folks should endevour to do, we aren't talkin about an air compressor rod or a lawn mower, but a diesel with significantly higher stresses and loading.. done wrong and you set yourself up for more grief

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 07:03:39 PM »
I had good results with an arbor press and properly sized mandrel, but on other diesel engines not listeroids.  Last time I just let a machine shop do it. I gave them the new bushing and the wrist pin. The rod was returned to me with the new bushing installed and reamed to the proper size.

I must say though, that fly press is killer. Bookmarking that page.

Just in case you did not find your way to this page from Guy's link.
The links from this page show some of things you can do.
http://oldworldanvils.com/flypresses/tooling_index.html

I need a bigger shop. ;D