Author Topic: Lister LV2 Cylinder heads removal  (Read 2773 times)

Ron

• View Profile
Lister LV2 Cylinder heads removal
« on: November 08, 2018, 12:18:56 AM »
I have a Lister Petter LV2 that probably saw a lot of salt. I can't seem to lift the heads off the cylinders. Any suggestions?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Lister LV2 Cylinder heads removal
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 12:35:33 AM »
probably a fair amount of corrosion between iron cylinder and aluminum head.

Presumably you already have manifolds, fuel injector pipes removed plus external oil lines and cooling baffles removed.

Patience, heat, solvent, rubber mallet, start by removing the studs completely and lay the engine on its side, soak well with penetrating solvent (inside and out if possible through your ports), apply heat externally to the heads to cause expansion, whack them good with soft hammer plus wooden blocks. Usually what happens is the cylinders will pull off the pistons along with the heads. Then you can work them from inside and outside the bores.
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 02:04:00 AM »
Thanks, winters commin' here so I'll have lots of time on my hands. I'll drag it into the kitchen an throw another block of birch on the fire.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 03:09:29 AM »
Thanks, winters commin' here so I'll have lots of time on my hands. I'll drag it into the kitchen an throw another block of birch on the fire.

Sounds a lot like my kitchen.  Good one Ron

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 09:01:33 AM »
Hi Ron, Dieselgman is right, try to extract the studs. Lock two nuts against one another and then put a wrench on the bottom one and they should come out.

Wish I could do engine stuff in the warmth of the kitchen without getting beaten to death by the Wife.  :laugh:

Bob

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 11:30:14 AM »
There once was a handsome young diesel hobbyist who asked a stunning model to marry him.....

She said NO....

He lived happily ever after, hunting, fishing, cleaning engine casings in the bathtub and working on engines in the warmth of his kitchen....
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 03:16:22 PM »
There once was a handsome young diesel hobbyist who asked a stunning model to marry him.....

She said NO....

He lived happily ever after, hunting, fishing, cleaning engine casings in the bathtub and working on engines in the warmth of his kitchen....

Yes.  The Stunning Model ones are the ones that will make you the most unhappy over time, sadly

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 09:33:11 PM »
Had me one off those model types, asked her to marry me, she said Yes.  :'(
Thankfully I divorced her.

Replacement Wife is a huge improvement. Cooks, cleans, earns her own money and looks after me.  :)

I`m not allowed engines in the house but I got a large shed as compensation, may have to fit some heating for winter.

Bob