Author Topic: 5-8kw Gen Head Australia  (Read 15511 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: 5-8kw Gen Head Australia
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2018, 09:19:19 AM »
Hi OSM, do the right thing and build it a shed with a concrete floor, doesn`t need to be big or fancy. Might be a lot of work but when everyone else is sat in the dark you will be enjoying TV, internet access and a cold beer.  :laugh:

Bob

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2018, 12:16:13 PM »
Something for all you Guys for all the suport.

"ITS Alive"
https://youtu.be/_vOby0QngWw

It will get real engine mounts and all those things, but now you have seen its real and it runs.
Smells good to Glort. So thanks everyone.

One thing i have to say is the engine runs a lot smoother than you Guys lead me to believe it would.
In the video its just sitting on its shipment palate, and it don't move much.

Will have to stand a glass of water on it, like dad used to with the RR engines, that should be fun.
Hay i might have invented a new type of milkshake maker. LOL.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 12:23:21 PM by old seagull man »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2018, 08:46:38 PM »
Wow, that does run smooth. Can`t wait to see how it handles the load. Definitely deserves a small shed to live in, ideally near your electric meter box so you can wire it up permanently with a cross over switch. You could then run your house on waste veg oil anytime you like.

Let us know how you go.

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2018, 09:24:18 PM »
It is a nice runner- and compact enough to be a "pull out to run" backup generator. 

My neighbor has a cheap 4KW propane generator as a backup for his propane modified CS 8/1 clone housed in a Rubbermaid Deck Storage Box.  The box must be opened and the generator set pulled out slighly for operations.  It's all wired and plumbed for propane, and he has a switch to select CS or 3600 rpm screamer.   He also uses it for his portable power needs with a 5 gallon Propane cylinder.

I also have my 4KW backup gas screamer in a deck box outside my Listeroid 6/1 engine shed, all wired up.  I have never used it beyond testing.  The Rubbermaid boxes are surprisingly durable, mine is over 10 years old and I stand on it monthly for radiator fill tank service.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2018, 06:51:07 AM »
I went to pick up something on gum tree yesterday and this was in a shed that was falling down, on the property.
6 cylinder ford Industrial engine with a 60kva Dunlite Alternator on it. Used to be the backup at the local bush hospital.
He wouldn't let me start it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 06:55:22 AM by old seagull man »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2018, 09:16:57 AM »
Hi OSM. I so want one of those, does the guy use it or is it just rusting away? Either way tell him to fix the shed!

Bob

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2018, 09:19:57 AM »
Lots of units of similar capacity to this for sale on TradeMe here for, maybe, $3-4K.  But they're too big to load and too thirsty to run.  What would you do with one

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2018, 11:54:21 AM »
Hi Mike, I`d sell power to my neighbors once the whole energy grid goes to sh1t. Only a matter of time IMHO

Bob

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2018, 04:39:41 PM »
Yes.  Been hearing stories across the ditch of energy fragility over there.  Greed and stupidity in action - like governments everywhere "captured by industry" sadly

Once upon a time electrical reticulation here was seen as a service that had to be provided by government for the good of citizens & development of the economy.  Over about 70 years it has changed into a commodity that can be sold to those who can afford it, is out of reach of those who can't, and is generated and distributed by large companies whose first obligation is to make a double-figure return on investment to shareholders.  Sad days

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2018, 11:22:39 AM »
Once again Glort you have hit the nail on the head when it comes to the truth. The people don`t want the truth. The truth is inconvenient to them and undermines their feelings of superiority, entitlement and immortality. Governments have always known that people will believe what they are told and ignore anything that is likely to have a negative impact on their personal wealth and well being.

One of these days, and it won`t be long, they are going to get the shock of their lives when someone tells them they can`t have what they want because there isn`t any left!

Might be time to start stockpiling what is going to be in short supply in the near future.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2018, 10:05:13 PM »
May I please, please, please have the job of rounding up those that are going to be incinerated.  :laugh:

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2018, 01:32:34 AM »
Eyes aren`t what they were but I`m still a pretty good shot. My bull sh1t detector is well tuned and I know which end of a cattle prod to hold. Would it help if I offered to take the position unpaid?

I consider it my civic duty to rid the world of these parasites, they are all going to burn in hell anyway, I simply want to accelerate the process. I would probably start in Canberra where there is a high concentration of overpaid useless individuals.

Bob

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2018, 01:50:26 AM »
Well progress is slow, but today OH&S was closed, so i had the Proof Of Concept run.
No OH&S inspectors in site. Wife on a Christmas cruse with the sister and all the kids.

The Pulley came from a bearing supplier here in Brisbane, and when he heard what i was doing he though in the belt. $55.
Gates one too, nice your man. Pulley is 160mm, so at 1500 rpm the engine is doing 1760 rpm. the balancer shafts in the engine seem happiest at this speed.
And the temp didn't change much. Load was a 2400 watt heater. ran for about 15mins before the rain, ended play.
See voltage on the meter on the dog box, and we all know meters don't lie.
So the next step is the AVR and its box, and build a frame.

All the best to everyone for christmas, and thanks for all the help.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:05:16 AM by old seagull man »

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2019, 04:41:00 PM »
Well the AVR turned up today, and i have a few days off, so i thought i might build the wooden test bed, and get the avr wired together.

But the only information that came with the avr is a spec's sheet.
No actual setup information. Supplied with a GAVR 12a even though i ordered a 15, like Bob was supplied with his generator.

Have the basic setup for a samford sx type  so got the basics, but if anyone has actual step by step instructions, PLEASE.

Thanks All, more pictures when more is done.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2019, 08:09:08 PM »
Hi OSM, I`ve still got the information that came with my AVR, it`s in the shed somewhere, I`ll try to find it, scan it and post the info.

Bob