Author Topic: 5-8kw Gen Head Australia  (Read 15506 times)

old seagull man

• View Profile
5-8kw Gen Head Australia
« on: November 05, 2018, 02:17:46 AM »
Still on the hunt for a 5 - 8 kw gen head in OZ, closer to QLD the better.
Belt drive..

There must be an extra in somebody shed.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: 5-8kw Gen Head Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 08:16:30 AM »
Hi OSM, what happened to the head from Kempsey? Mine now looks petty good (see photos). I have skimmed the slip rings, fitted the new sealed bearings and wired up the AVR. I had to make a new top box for it, as the one it came with was an insult to engineering, a drunken monkey could have done better!

The AVR replaces the old bridge rectifier which used to feed the field winding. I have ordered a new high quality bridge rectifier and heat sink. This will be coupled to the two loose black wires in the photo. in the event of an AVR failure (usually due to magnetic storms) I will be able to quickly connect the field winding (red/brown wires) to the rectifier and be back in business, albeit a temporary fix. If you are in any doubt about these generator heads and the addition of an AVR please check out Benny loves diesels on you tube. (I`m not Benny, so no self promotion here).

I have kept the 32 amp circuit breaker but discarded everything else, as I plan to put a distribution board on the wall above the generator. This will have volt, amp, hertz and mega watt hour meters.

Sorry this is all taking me so long but health issues keep me from doing much. I will keep my eyes and ears open for something that may be suitable for you, is Grafton too far south of the boarder for you?

Bob.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 10:42:02 AM »
No was all set to go and have had no contact from him.
He was coming up my way with his truck, that was wonderful of him, and we were going to meet and collect, it.
then nothing.
Sent him a few email, even inquired about the 10k he had, but no reply's. I hope he's OK.

So still looking.

Yours is looking very flash, Bob. And no Grafton is not to far. Im shore if we looked in Glort's Aladdin's cave we would find something.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 08:47:12 PM »
Don`t give up on Stephen, I know he has had a battle with health problems, I`m hoping he`s OK as he is a very nice, honest and knowledgeable guy.

OSM, be careful what you wish for, releasing the Glort Genie could have serious repercussions!  :laugh:

Bob.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 09:28:55 AM »
Hi OSM, Able sell a very nice 8KVA  generator head. They have a depot in Brisbane, trouble is it will cost you $1290!  :'(

Bob

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 01:03:45 AM »
Hi Thanks Bob,

have seen those. gen head and AVR, plus GST quoted me $1475 pick up in Brisbane.
They look like a good Stamford clone, wouldn't say were they were made.
So the search continues, and also thanks to everyone who is keeping an eye out.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 12:04:00 PM »
Well what do you know.

Stephen contacted me it looks like i might have a ST5 head in a week or two if it all comes together, so might will be out with the notes on your rebuild.
And time to start on mine.

:) :) :)

Happy Christmas to me

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 08:16:29 PM »
Looks like someone is in for a very greasy Christmas.  :laugh:

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 06:34:47 AM »
Hi OSM, The new bridge rectifier and heat sink arrived today, way more powerful than needed but $20 for the pair gives me peace of mind in the event of a lightning strike killing the AVR. Probably less than a five minute job to rewire the field wires back to the rectifier and I`m back in business.

I also modified the top box cover by cutting a couple of air vents and covering them with fly mesh to keep out the creepy crawlies. Temperatures in summer can easily hit 50 centigrade here so can`t have too much ventilation.

Interestingly, the generator main body is painted with Brunswick Green to match the Lister engine. I wanted to spray paint the cover of the top box, I found that British Paints make a can of spray paint called Jungle Green which is nearly identical. might help some of our American cousins who can`t get Brunswick green.

Bob

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 02:31:55 PM »
Well Santa arrived early at OSM HQ, Stephen met me in brisbane, and delivered me a nice 2010 built green chinese  5kw generator.
Pictures in the morning.

But it looks just like Bobs in the earlier photos. And will probable get the same Avr and bridge pack.
But Digital meters, Glort style.

So i will need a taper lock 140mm pulley and some other bits, as well.

How many drive belts are most people putting on there 5k heads? The engine has a four groove, pulley. So will need to match the section of the pulley and belts.

Any suggestions for drive belt setups, most very welcome.  Its a pitty i can't use a serpentine fan belt from a commodore or falcon and couple of harmonic balancer pulleys.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 09:11:35 PM »
Bravo OSM, Christmas has come early. For v-belts, pulleys and taper lock bushes, google PTParts. They have outlets in Sydney and Melbourne. They also have an online ordering facility. Their website shows all belts, pulleys and taper locks with prices.

In my case I was thinking to use a twin 250 mm pulley and taper lock bush. I will run either A or B belts straight off the 600 mm Lister CS flywheel. The ST head needs to run at 1500 RPM to give me 50 Hz. The ratios with 600 mm to 250 mm should have my CS running at around 620 RPM. Probably as close as I am going to get without having a custom pulley made.

In your case I think the decision has been made for you by the drive pulley on the primary mover, unless you want the extra expense of changing it.

Let us know how you get on, lots of pics and questions please.

Bob

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 10:03:19 PM »
Hi Bob

Your calcs on the ratio with the belts on the CS flywheel are within an ace of mine, I used a serpentine belt (to a stock pulley) as it's profile fitted  in the space left under the flywheel with the CS bolted onto a bed made with RSJ's. (there's only 10mm or so)

I ended up with 630 ish rpm's, I can load the alternator up until the CS starts 'rolling coal' and there's no chirping or slipping at all. I have no idlers, the tension is adjusted by sliding the alternator back and forth on the bed.

I've not yet run the CS in anger but my feeling is that running 5% or so over the 600rpm will give a little slack when a load kicks in.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 06:54:57 AM »
 Hey Glort, how was NZ?

Only 12 months for your Brother in Law to do some turning for you? What I would give for a Doctor, Surgeon, lawyer or insurance company that would act so swiftly!  :laugh:

Like your idea of a stepped shaft to accommodate different sized pulleys for different applications. I was considering some sort of a lay shaft to drive various demands, I may have to think again.

I will probably opt for twin A belts as the cost of a 250 mm twin B belt pulley will buy a lot of A belts. I`m not a tight arse by nature but I`m facing multiple surgeries to repair injuries from the accident. Very unlikely I will be able to work for at least another twelve months, so got to be very careful with the pennies. Very aggravating having all this time on my hands and no money to do any of the things I want doing, even if I briefly feel well enough to do them.

Hey Stef, glad you concur with my calculations, I suspect that there will be some wear on the belts so RPM may have to be tweaked a bit during regular maintenance. I was going to aim for 51/52 Hz unloaded expecting things to drop a bit as I up the demand.

I was thinking to make a tensioning system similar to the one in the photo, just bigger and stronger. I made a pair of these a few years back after the local village water pump motor got washed away in a flood event. The river rose by 24 meters! This one is the spare and has been in my shed ever since.

Bob

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 12:25:48 PM »
Hey Guys...

Unless you want to become unhinged by the rattling and driving yourself nuts with that sort of tensioner on a "one power stroke every 4 days" style engine, rather opt for just the 4 slotted holes and a couple of jack bolts to tension the belts...

I tried one of these on one of my TM's a while back and it drove me nuts with the rattles....

Just my 2c worth, probably not actually worth that much too....

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 12:43:59 PM »
Hey Buddy and welcome back. I`ve missed you and I`m sure the rest of the forum have too.  I`m very glad to hear you had an OK time in NZ even if it has thrown a bit of a fruit loop into the equation regarding previous visits. I went skiing in the Alps every year, for twenty years, with my Wife and family and none of us can agree on exactly which year we did what. Don`t worry about it, remember the good stuff and F*ck the rest of it, life`s too short. Very pleased to hear your Wife and Daughter enjoyed the trip.

With regards lawyers and etc. I think glaciers melt quicker , the question is will I be killed by old age or global warming/climate change before I get my day in court to sue these b*stards!

Very pleased that a mate of mine also bought a lathe a while back, with tooling. Its only small so I`m limited in what I can do but what an enormous saving when it comes to replacing bushes and etc. I would dearly love to have a milling machine, lathe and broaching press in my shed but the costs are prohibitive and I`m probably too crook to make worthwhile use of them. I do miss the equipment that was available when I was in the RAF, we could make anything and we did, up to and including a new bonnet for an E type Jaguar.

Pulleys, what a pain in the arse! Why can`t we standardize things? We have too many standards, Imperial/Metric and then all the weird and wonderful sh1t coming out of the third world. Confused? you will be!  :laugh:

The difference between A  and B belts is in their strength and contact surface area, B belts for heavy loads. For a six HP  Lister CS engine, twin A belts and pulleys are a cheaper option and will probably still be going when I am long dead.

I`m with you on the issue of money and no inspiration as apposed to inspiration and no money. We need to either get together and be brilliant/successful or sit on our arses and do f*ckall in tandem!  :laugh:

Thank you for your concern for my health and well being, I guess we have to play with the cards we`ve been dealt, even if it drives us half crazy. When I watched some of the guys in the Invictus games it made me feel quite ashamed that I can`t overcome my PTSD and anxiety issues when these blokes have been through much worse than me and are embracing life. I always thought I was tough until I watched them!

Not sure what you would end up with if you tried to build one good man out of two f*cked up ones, were you planning to build one very f*ucked up one out of what was left? Thank you for that thought, best laugh I have had in months, my wife now thinks I am even more strange.

Bob