Author Topic: I need help identifying what engines I have  (Read 3817 times)

shawn burke

• View Profile
I need help identifying what engines I have
« on: October 01, 2018, 05:12:05 AM »
got 4 of these lister 2 cylinder air cooled engine at an estate sale and need to find out what model they are so I can get more info on them , I have pics but cant seem to get them to post on here ????? I can email them to anyone interested in helping

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: I need help identifying what engines I have
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 06:35:43 AM »
Pics need to be compressed before they will load up. Usually there is a serial plate on the side of the engine if it is a Lister or on or near the head on a Petter (I think). Once you have some pics up it will make it easier.
Good luck with it and look forward to seeing them.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 10:31:12 AM »
got 4 of these lister 2 cylinder air cooled engine at an estate sale and need to find out what model they are so I can get more info on them , I have pics but cant seem to get them to post on here ????? I can email them to anyone interested in helping

Welcome Shawn, hopefully we'll be able to help you out.

If you're struggling to upload the pictures here - and if you're not easily able to re-size them - please feel free to try out the gallery (link at the top of the page - you'll need to create an account, the "Global registration password" is revealed in the Member's Only board), then you can put links in your post to photos there, or put URL links in to "in-line" the pictures. Alternatively, you could upload them to somewhere like Flickr or Photobucket & paste links to them here.

Also - it'd be appreciated if you could only post the one time, in the most relevant board (I know that sometimes it's hard to find the right one....). I've removed the duplicates for you, this is probably the best place for these questions.

Last but not least - if you can post the serial numbers of the engines, anything newer than 1952 has the engine type built into the serial number. Anything earlier than that, we'll need to know what model it is to figure out its age.

A post-1952 (pre-1970something) serial number looks (for example) like this:

1234ST1A7: That would be engine 1234, an ST1, with anticlockwise rotation, built in 1957.

Air-cooled diesels are likely to be LD or ST engines, probably off a dumper or cement mixer. If they're runners, they're good little engines, decent HP too. If they're not runners, they shouldn't be too hard to get going either, depending on how worn they are. Parts are reasonably available, depending on the exact type of engine & your location.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 12:02:39 PM »
Hello and welcome once more

If you are using the site gallery I haven no experience with that thus I am of no help. However you have the option of loading your pictures on one of the many cyber photo hosting sites.  Personally I use Tinypic. Once that is done you copy the URL of the photo, come here and click on the "insert photo" ICON just above the smiley faces and paste the URL, The only trick to it is to be certain you dont move the curser from the location it appears between  IMG] (Curser here) [IMG.

That being said if you post the serial and spec numbers that will provide enough information to identify the engines.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

shawn burke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 05:16:04 PM »
ok lest see if this works , only numbers I found

guest23837

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 06:06:04 PM »
I'm drooling!

shawn burke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 06:45:22 PM »
I like to hear that !!!! I have 4 of them and a Deutz

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 07:13:02 PM »
It  looks to be either an HR2 or ST2. The shape of the cooling shroud tells me it is  anti clockwise rotation.  The data plate should be behind the black rubber boot in the second picture,

shawn burke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 08:04:48 PM »
thanks for the info ,and ya I wish all 4 data plates are ether missing or to scared up to read ,

shawn burke

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 08:07:04 PM »
1 more pic , and is there any other numbers or wais to tell ???????

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 07:52:43 AM »
Really nice little engine Shawn. Be gentle removing the red paint from the ID tag so that it makes it easier for you to read.
sometimes a bit of oven cleaner for a brief moment will start to remove the paint otherwise a careful scrape with a scraper then soem paint thinners but be quick with a dry cloth to wipe off the excess thinners.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 11:42:23 AM »
I am not experienced enough with that series to positively ID one from a photo. If Dieselgman happens to log in he would likely know.  You could punch in  HR2 and ST2 on a web picture search and look for detail differences. You could also go to his website Diesel Electric Service and send him pictures via email listed there.

https://diesel-electric.us/

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 07:49:16 PM »
It  looks to be either an HR2 or ST2. The shape of the cooling shroud tells me it is  anti clockwise rotation.  The data plate should be behind the black rubber boot in the second picture

Lister ST2 for sure, the H range is physically a much taller engine. If the data plate is illegible, you will also find the engine serial number on the flywheel rim.

shawn burke

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 10:17:42 PM »
well the first one fired right up , changed the oil and got fuel to it and about 10 cranks and fired !!!!!