Puppeteer

Author Topic: Dead Generator  (Read 4276 times)

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
Dead Generator
« on: July 31, 2006, 05:22:33 PM »
My $30 4000 watt 3600 RPM generator give up this weekend.  It has been running very hot even when unloaded.
Diodes and brushes are good, flashed it a few times no go.  :(

With the rectifier out and powering the field direct from a 12 volt battery while spinning results in an odd buzz or humming noise.
I think it may be the exciter coil is shorted.  Going to take it apart tonight and have a look if it looks like that may be the problem I may cut it out and power the field separately and see what happens.  :-\  Dammed hot today and would really like to run the AC a bit tonight.

Also need to get an ST head ordered.  Anyone know of any 3 phase heads available other then the 25 KW listed at Rocky Mountain?

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
Re: Dead Generator
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 12:15:14 AM »
http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/Colemans.storefront/en/searchmask
  Try the above link and enter generator in the search field.  They have a 10kw set with diesel engine that is 3 ph.  It's an expensive way to get a gen head, but, it's 4 pole (I'm pretty certain).  And built to milspecs. 
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

Doug

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 12:23:39 AM »
There are Chinese 3 phase heads but they use a Eroupean voltage so your screwed without a transformer.

Doug

Jim Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 03:27:29 AM »
... It's an expensive way to get a gen head, but, it's 4 pole (I'm pretty certain).  And built to milspecs....

Good grief, you're joking, right?

$4300 for one of these.  NOT a good deal.

listeroidsusa

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 03:48:30 AM »
I've got a couple of the 20 kw 3 phase ST heads, and a couple of 10 kw models. If interested email me off of the forum

Mike

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 02:28:24 PM »
A little more info.

Did some more checking last night.
First the buzz when I powered the "field" direct from a 12 volt battery was because I had the battery connected to the exciter coil and not the field.  :-[  Getting as dumb as my dad was when he was my age.  ;D

The only thing I could find is the field coil is 56 ohms, seems a little high.  Also not getting any inductive spark when connecting the field to a battery.

Sorry Mike but I got anxious and ordered that 25 KW generator from Eric.  I have a small bandsaw sawmill that I would like to put an electric motor on and that generator will be big enough to run it.

Note: Falling back to the old gas burning generator sucks.