Puppeteer

Author Topic: Real Engineer's Spice Rack  (Read 4008 times)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Real Engineer's Spice Rack
« on: September 16, 2018, 05:17:23 PM »
Hi All

The nights are drawing in, the trees are changing colour and the temperature is starting to drop, so I started wonder at what temperature my 80% WVO / 20% Dino would start to wax.

After a bit I came up with this, SWMBO said it was the worst diy spice rack she'd seen.......

Anyway it's screwed to the inside wall of an open car port so once I've nicked a thermometer from somewhere I'll have a good Redneck early warning system, for nothing but an hours fun.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: Real Engineer's Spice Rack
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 06:28:01 PM »
15/10 Stef... Redneck engineering...not a chance! Good common sense and a simple solution to a problem... love it!
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 09:33:39 PM »
Where are the ones with 10% gasoline?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 02:48:27 PM »

+1 Casey

A good test, yes.
It would be good to have a sample with 80% WVO / 20% gasoline. (a very popular blend in cooler weather)

Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 09:41:34 PM »
Hi Glort

You're an encyclopedia ... a little extensive. But good experiences are always appreciated, at least I speak for myself, that I am here looking for someone who has good information to share.

If this is the case, please, have you the Bryce injector model NSDLA052D0359 manual.

BR
Pedrosa
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 09:48:53 PM »
Hi All

The reason I've been using 20% Dino and 80% WVO (as a start point) is a bit Glort like!

The only guy I know running WVO in a 200TDI Landy is running 50 / 50, having read all sorts of varying information on various web sites and fora I decided to take 'baby steps' and form my own opinions based on my own observations.

I started with 50 / 50 then shifted to 20 / 80, running a couple of tank fulls of each, and noting the performance on two different routes I use frequently. The first is a 2 k stretch from the end of our drive to the village of Gripp in which the road rises 175 meters, how well the truck is pulling in fourth as I go through the village is obvious, with the speed / power droping off as the percentage diesel decreases. The other is a short sharp climb up to the ridge to the east of here, in second, same result.

I was hampered at first by the shite the WVO  shook loose from the 38 year old fuel tank clogging every thing up, a couple of fuel filters and strip down of the injectors followed by re plumbing of the turbo to inlet manifold with a silicone hoses and a 180° alluminium bend (instead of the bits and pieces I picked up at the local scrap yard) gave me decent performance on Dino, and a base line.

A tank lasts me around 3 weeks so I guess I'll be at it for a while.

Next up is WVO and ULP, which begs the question is it worth starting on 5% or do I go straight to 10?

Once I get some more shed time I'll have a go at water injection, I've got a systolic pump and a couple of meters of tubing doing nothing.

The up side of living here is I get to do the same runs over and over, I put the dog in the Landy and drive a few K most days, just so we can go somewhere different without walking on the road first (The fact that one of us has an abiding interest in mushrooms also has a bearing)

Once I finish this tank I'll switch to ULP, I  tried diesel first as it's summer here, up to 35° daytime, now it's getting cooler, down to 5° at night, The old Mccormick tractor, on straight WVO took some heater pugs and cranking this morning.

When I do I'll add another couple of 'spices'

Cheers Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 09:49:27 PM »

Turbine fuel has additives to keep the stuff liquid to -40C and the military fuels have even lower gel temps if you can get hold of them.
Once fuel is taken out of an aircraft it is not allowed to go back in them but goes real well in a diesel vehicle or stationary engine.  :0) 

Do you add any oil for fuel pump / injector lube when you use JP1 ?