Author Topic: Concerns About My First Real Test  (Read 7820 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Concerns About My First Real Test
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 09:10:51 AM »
Hi 38ac, thanks for putting out the word about the micro cogeneration site. I am not a member but have used it as a useful resource in the past. Good on Glort for trying to keep it going by becoming a major contributor. I just might have to become a member and disagree with everything he posts just to help get the ball rolling!  :laugh:

Very sorry to hear that our forum can`t absorb some of the knowledge they have there. Our administrator/moderator is a regular contributor on that site, can he not do something?

I guess there isn`t the appetite for the knowledge and experience people like you have, the youth of today will not appreciate what they are losing until it`s gone and once it`s gone it`s gone forever.  :(

Anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Bob

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 10:22:32 AM »
+1

As there's only a limited number of old farts left and this forum seems to have more than it's fair share it might not be a bad place for a repository.

My computer skills are about the same as my electronic ones, but I'm happy to help too......

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 11:36:09 AM »
Thanks for the support Stef, less of the old fart stuff and more of the suppository or was that repository, eyes aren`t what they were.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 12:09:23 PM »

Very sorry to hear that our forum can`t absorb some of the knowledge they have there. Our administrator/moderator is a regular contributor on that site, can he not do something?

Bob

There are ownership connections with the two forums that I dont fully understand and frankly I spent no time worrying myself about that part of it. The history goes kinda like this, This  forum was to be shut down several years ago after a bunch of turmoil and the fellow that owns the other site purchased this one, or the rights to it? or whatever.  As I said I dont know how it all works. This was all going on as I was coming unto the scene, all I know is this place wasn't functional at one point. 
A lot of parallel information on the sites, this one is holding its own, that one died.  Were it me I would combine them but that doesn't seem possible.

To tell you the truth I worry about this site more than that one, I dont see the other one as savable at this point.  With no offense  implied or intended to those involved if a person takes away the top 2-3 posters here and all the (place your own term here) they post on here the traffic on this site gets pretty light too.  I make no claims to having answers to any of this but I have watched enough web forums die to have an understanding of when it is beginning and the warning signs are here also, sad to say
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 12:45:47 PM »
Thanks 38ac for the heads up. I guess old engines aren`t that interesting to young fellas. Doesn`t mean we can`t talk about them. Myself and Stef have put the challenge out to Glort to put up or shut up about WVO. I `m hoping and expecting that he comes up with the definitive instruction manual on how to clean, dry and inject WVO. I have offered my nearly complete CS as a test bed and am happy to follow his instructions and publish the results, I`m also happy to suffer the consequences if it goes wrong.

We need to find some way to preserve this knowledge, it took nearly a century to accumulate and could be lost overnight. God help future generations if this information is lost.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 01:31:19 PM »
That's good Bob ;D, glad to hear it and hope he takes you up as that type of posting is valuable to the site in the long term.  The other OT booklets just keep a couple day to day guys interested in logging on, sorta like the back table at the coffee shop where 2 or 3 guys gather every morning to fix all the world's problems because they have nothing better to do.  Once more  no offense intended or implied with that remark but one of the warning signs I spoke of is when that become the main traffic of the site.

All that being said there is nothing at all that we can do about lack of interest in general, except maybe to hope for a grid melt down and a 3 month power outage.,, come to think of it a firearm would be a whole lot more valued than a WMO converted generator I am afraid ;)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 11:07:49 PM »
Be careful what you wish for, we had a power outage all day yesterday. The ST2 came to the rescue and ran faultlessly for 12 hours. Wish I had it set up to run WVO rather than diesel.

Bob

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 08:08:48 AM »
Thanks 38ac for the heads up. I guess old engines aren`t that interesting to young fellas. Doesn`t mean we can`t talk about them. Myself and Stef have put the challenge out to Glort to put up or shut up about WVO. I `m hoping and expecting that he comes up with the definitive instruction manual on how to clean, dry and inject WVO. I have offered my nearly complete CS as a test bed and am happy to follow his instructions and publish the results, I`m also happy to suffer the consequences if it goes wrong.

We need to find some way to preserve this knowledge, it took nearly a century to accumulate and could be lost overnight. God help future generations if this information is lost.

Bob

I think there may be limited interest from future generations?  Over and again i see the treasure of the past ("selling these vintage engines which were my late father's treasures . . . ) passed in without a bid.  In many cases they are items which would have attracted fierce bidding twenty years ago such as antique tractors.

New Zealand was the last country in the globe to have the dubious privilege of being colonised by the British; so our population was sparse and largely agrarian well into the 1950s. Consequently our hedgerows are littered with Listers and the (NZ-built) Anderson equivalents.  You literally cannot give away an Anderson or a Lister petrol engine.  I have refused offers of many such from folks who just wanted the heavy things gone

Although the information on here has been invaluable to me in playing with my CSs, it is the interaction with interesting folks with a range of fascinating skills, experiences, and different outlooks which is equally valuable

In another generation or two the CSs will be museum pieces but we shall be all far too dead to care

But as long as there is someone playing with them, and as long as the Indians continue to make parts and clones - then this information will be valued

I, for example, copy/paste/edited the 38AC valve-events thread in its entirety (cutting out the repetitive comments & tidying it up)  then just printed it off so I can never lose it . . .

I'm sure those who value this stuff will continue to contribute to keeping it alive . . . it's just that I imagine there will be less of us as thee years go by

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 08:23:04 AM »
That's 'cos you're old skool, Mike........

I did the same, printed the lot and set off to the shed for a whole day's entertainment!

Cheers
Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 08:45:43 AM »
Wow, I have also printed off a copy! Don`t tell 38ac or he`ll be suing us all for breach of copyright. Sadly my CS rebuild isn`t quite advanced enough to use the knowledge yet.

I believe that Glort has started writing his novel about how to collect, treat and use WVO, should make great reading.

Bob

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 09:53:39 AM »
FWIW I went to Utterpower a while ago and copy/pasted a lot of George's stuff

Quite a bit if it is just incorrect, but that's just a function of learning-by-doing.  But it seemed to me some of the stuff on ST heads an related topics has merit

I have also stolen things like the Lister Dating page at OldEngine

I don't think this is abuse if I'm not circulating or selling or even sharing - I just like to have the information myself

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 11:25:31 AM »
Hi Mike, I`m sure people who post information (right or wrong) on forums and web sites do it to be helpful or possibly deliberately misleading. Downloading it can`t possibly be any sort of a crime. Redistributing it may be. Keeping a paper or digital copy of something you found on the internet is often a good idea as a lot of sites don`t stay up for long. Just be careful, you can be sure that someone, somewhere is watching everything you do online. This may be benign curiosity or data harvesting so that political groups or advertisers can turn you into an asset. A lot of countries have recently introduced new legislation, forcing the internet service providers to store your metadata, so that it can be made available to law enforcement agencies on demand.

How do I know this? Many years ago I worked in IT and at the time GCHQ (British spying center) had 8000 employees and 64000 phone lines. I wonder what they were doing with all that bandwidth, I doubt they were watching re runs of their favorite TV shows. I also wonder how much bandwidth they now have access to and how many back doors into server systems worldwide. That`s just the UK, add the USA, China, Russia the Koreans N&S and you start to get a picture of what is really going on.

We have nothing to hide and so probably nothing to fear but if there is anything you want to keep to yourself don`t put it online, send a letter. It is still against the law, in most countries, to intercept or open someones mail without a court order.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 11:39:21 AM »
Way to go Glort, you must have very tired fingers and soar eyes by now. Can`t wait for the big post, will let you know what I think of it and if there is anything you missed or needs clarifying.

I wonder if there is some way to keep the politicians and big end of town from trying to monetize your knowledge and experience. It would be a real downer if they changed the laws and etc just to fill their own greedy pockets.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 12:08:55 PM »
I have tried to avoid waffling on but I feel some things need an explanation as there is so much that is contradictory to the repeated norms and If I just say,  Do or don't do this without explanation as to why, it will make no sense and be dismissed.  I have seen myself how it's possible to read something so many times and then even when you prove it's not right, for the misinformation to still be in your head and make you think something is wrong when you are doing it right.
there was so much I found to be just plain wrong with the parroted mantras in the veg game,,,,

Glort
This is EXACTLY the same dilemma I faced with the mechanical side of things. May I compliment you for  stating in a much better manner than I could have.  I defend the pioneers who were trying to figure it out. I have the  deepest respect for people like George Breckenridge, Joel Koch, Mike Montieth and Gary Jones. That I have 20/20 hindsight ( or close to it) does NOT make me better  or smarter than these  men and others who were forging the path that we are all walking on today.  However I hold those those who simply repeated the early findings as Gospel with no other knowledge than a few operating hours as a different group. My name for them is "google smart"  ;)   

May I encourage you to be forthright in debunking what experience has taught you to be wrong.

As for my contributions here there is nothing to copyright. What I have presented is nothing more than the same wisdom that 1000s of other motor men would contribute would they happen to get involved with these engines.  Expert I am not, I just apply what I have learned in close to 50 years with my fingers inside of engines.  You may notice that I stay clear of all electrical discussions and most of the alternative fuel  threads? I dont want my total ignorance of such to become common knowledge 8) 8)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:17:51 PM by 38ac »

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2018, 07:58:55 PM »
Hi Mike, I`m sure people who post information (right or wrong) on forums and web sites do it to be helpful or possibly deliberately misleading. Downloading it can`t possibly be any sort of a crime. Redistributing it may be. Keeping a paper or digital copy of something you found on the internet is often a good idea as a lot of sites don`t stay up for long. Just be careful, you can be sure that someone, somewhere is watching everything you do online. This may be benign curiosity or data harvesting so that political groups or advertisers can turn you into an asset. A lot of countries have recently introduced new legislation, forcing the internet service providers to store your metadata, so that it can be made available to law enforcement agencies on demand.

How do I know this? Many years ago I worked in IT and at the time GCHQ (British spying center) had 8000 employees and 64000 phone lines. I wonder what they were doing with all that bandwidth, I doubt they were watching re runs of their favorite TV shows. I also wonder how much bandwidth they now have access to and how many back doors into server systems worldwide. That`s just the UK, add the USA, China, Russia the Koreans N&S and you start to get a picture of what is really going on.

We have nothing to hide and so probably nothing to fear but if there is anything you want to keep to yourself don`t put it online, send a letter. It is still against the law, in most countries, to intercept or open someones mail without a court order.

Bob

+1 on that.  I'm often dismayed by the stuff that my children and grandchildren's generations will casually and trustingly put on line.

"Mother, should I trust the government . . . ?"