Author Topic: Crank Gear Location  (Read 7147 times)

rjcroc

• View Profile
Crank Gear Location
« on: July 31, 2006, 04:07:36 PM »
Looking for a little help
If the crank was suspended from two vee blocks, where would the gear teeth be at ? One at 12:00 or would there be a valley between the teeth at 12:00. With all the broken teeth issues could this be just another assembly error ? or bearing issues with precombustion. Thanks for the help.

Rick
"THE GREATEST DANGER FOR MOST OF US IS NOT THAT OUR AIM IS TOO HIGH AND WE MISS IT, BUT THAT IT IS TOO LOW AND WE REACH IT"  MICHELANGELO
6/1 METRO, 6/1 LISTER SOM, 6/1 LISTER, 1 1/2 HP LISTER D, LISTER PUMP,LISTER PETTER LPWS4

rjcroc

• View Profile
Re: Crank Gear Location
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 01:02:47 PM »

Perhaps my question is obtuse. I need to press the gear on the crank. This is for a 6/1 metro. I am trying to get the gear orientation correct. With the counter weights (bob weights) hanging down, what would be the clocking of the teeth ? This must have something to do with the cam timing. Thanks for any help.

Rick
"THE GREATEST DANGER FOR MOST OF US IS NOT THAT OUR AIM IS TOO HIGH AND WE MISS IT, BUT THAT IT IS TOO LOW AND WE REACH IT"  MICHELANGELO
6/1 METRO, 6/1 LISTER SOM, 6/1 LISTER, 1 1/2 HP LISTER D, LISTER PUMP,LISTER PETTER LPWS4

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 01:45:16 PM »

With the counter weights (bob weights) hanging down, what would be the clocking of the teeth ? This must have something to do with the cam timing. Thanks for any help.

Rick

That makes it more clear. I'm sure it does affect timing but I don't know the answer. I could guess by taking the door off mine and looking but you dont want to guess on this one. Did you have a wreck that broke this gear? No matter what happened I wouldnt want to be in your shoes. I'm not suprised it isn't keyed.

Thanks, Geno

rjcroc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 02:57:23 PM »

IT WASNT ANYTHING CATATROPIC, I HAD SOMEONE TAKE THE BEARINGS OFF AND THEY ALSO REMOVED THE GEAR WITHOUT MARKING IT. THE TRUTH IS THAT I SEE ENOUGH ASSEMBLY ERRORS THAT I DONT MIND CHECKING THIS OUT AND MAKING SURE THAT IT IS CORRECT.

THANKS, RICK

rjcroc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 02:04:02 PM »

Geno,
If you wouldnt mind I could use the gear location even if it is only your best guess optically. I was hoping that someone might have a spare and could look at it.
TIA Rick

oldnslow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 05:51:45 PM »
Not an expert but generally speaking there is usually a keyway on the crankshaft to line up with the gear (with or without timing marks on the gear teeth). Install the gear to the crankshaft and then time the engine during reassembly.

Try this link at George B's site. It walks you through.

Go about 3/4 down the page. Hope that helps.http://www.utterpower.com/problems.htm
Mistakes are the cost of tuition.

rjcroc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 06:11:27 PM »
Thanks for the info, I have read George's info and have the cd. My problem is that there is no keyway for the gear. (another cost cutting procedure) If I  cant find the info I will have to reassemble the crank and cam and note where the tooth should be then remove the crank and bearings and press it on. Thinking about shipping a Lister from across the pond.

Rick

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 07:42:44 PM »
You know, I'm sitting here listening to the deafening silence, and I can't recalll if I've ever read that someone has replaced the crank bearings, which necessitates pressing off the timing drive gear.  Was it Hotater that was talking about that some time back?  Did a search and didn't find anything.

Halfnuts

rjcroc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 07:48:45 PM »
Halfnuts,
The calamity of this situation is that you first remove the bearings and THEN remove the gear.
Thanks for trying

Rick

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 08:11:44 PM »
Sorry.  It's been about a year since I last looked at mine.  Wasn't thinking.

Halfnuts

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 03:47:27 AM »
Hi It sounds like you have to go back to basics.
My sggestion is to make up a plywood frame to hold the gears and crank in the correct position, degree the crank and mark the best position for the gear and install it on the crank.
Then reassemble the engine in the case, gears and all. Then recheck the timing and  recheck the timing and correct again if nessessary.
I know this will be a tedious procedure.
But with a little luck you might have to do it only once.
Good luck
Dennis
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 03:55:05 AM by dkwflight »
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

rjcroc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 02:34:05 PM »

kpgv, Thanks for the info, I have the gear back on.

"Now for something that you will really like"
I have read here that tbr's should and should not be preloaded. I will eventually reassemble my engine and thought I might ask now so that I know when the time comes. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 03:04:55 PM »
Taper roller bearings MUST be pre-loaded, and this preload must be within the bearing parameters (vary it with gaskets or shims)

You won't find a taper roller bearing manufacturer on the planet who will say anything else, though I am sure you will find a few people who are not bearing manufacturers but who are convinced they know better.

Make a coffee and read this stuff

http://www.bearings.machinedesign.com/BDEList.aspx
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 04:28:22 PM »
Nice bearing info site! I have always followed the mfg recomondations for new bearings, but I believe the preload for a used bearing is different.?!... ??? Do you all use the same preload for new and used?
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA