Author Topic: What is the right mounting method of Lister SR1 engine + generator  (Read 6006 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Re: What is the right mounting method of Lister SR1 engine + generator
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 02:24:47 PM »
The prim and proper way to mount the engine to concrete is to place one 1/4" steel shim at the high spot to leave room for grout, them shim all the lower ones to same level so the base bears equally. Then set the engine and lightly snug the nuts, then grout under the base and finally tighten the nuts when the grout is dry and hard. This is in most of the older Lister manuals along with how to properly mix the concrete and how much is needed.  Lister was pretty thorough about how to mount their products properly.  I cheat that process by doing a good job with the concrete and use 1" hardwood boards under the engine instead of grout. Works out well if you keep after the nuts until they quit loosening.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 10:07:06 AM »
There are several ways of drying timber but the most important thing is to seal the end grain before doing it. Failing to do this will result in bad splits and checks in each end of your lumber. There are a great many wax based spray on sealers available for exactly this purpose.

The second issue is that timber tends to cup, warp and twist as it dries. I stack mine with battens between them at about 400 mm centers. I then wrap the bundle with ratchet straps and torque them down tight. I tighten them on a weekly basis until the timber is dry.

The trick with successful drying isn`t heat, it is air flow. Australia is quite hot enough and dry enough to season timber very quickly. A lot of drying sheds are fan assisted.

I would avoid applying excessive amounts of heat to timber as it can break down the cellulose structure and make it weak and brittle. I have seen over kilned pine as soft as balsa wood.

Another method a lot of wood turners use is to soak your unseasoned piece of wood in ethylene glycol (antifreeze). This  forces the moisture out of the wood very quickly but makes it almost impossible to polish.

Bob

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 10:38:08 AM »
20 + years in the timer industry tells us:

Anything will do to seal the ends, but you are dead right about heat etc

Rule of thumb:  shade & battens & weights on top & ventilation but not wind & drying at the rate of an inch a year (board thickness)

Slow is best

Kiln drying is only good for production work not artisan timber

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 11:17:00 AM »
More timber guys eh? Strictly armature here. I have a Peterson swinger we play with along with most of the needed bits to turn it into projects.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel