Author Topic: Lister ST2 with Brush 7KVA Generator  (Read 8934 times)

alexm

• View Profile
Lister ST2 with Brush 7KVA Generator
« on: August 27, 2018, 09:36:47 AM »
Hi,

I've got a Lister ST2 with a Brush 7KVA Start-o-matic attached. I think I have attached a selenium rectifier?

If I change it to a modern equivalent rectifier is there some instructions somewhere for to do?

thanks,

Alex

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Lister ST2 with Brush 7KVA Generator
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 10:11:17 AM »
Hi Alexm, welcome to the LEF. Yes that is an old selenium rectifier and it` over fifty years old. You will find two more in the control panel. The one you have photographed is actually a bridge rectifier and should be replaced with a modern silicon bridge rectifier something like this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Durable-MDQ150A-150A-1600V-Full-Wave-Diode-Module-Single-Phase-Bridge-Rectifier/123151318385?epid=14019829297&hash=item1cac63fd71:g:5WkAAOSwqYZbBmAp

The new bridge rectifier will need to be mounted on a heat sink, a piece of 6 mm aluminium plate about 150 mm long by 50 mm wide should do nicely.

The two rectifiers in the control panel should be replaced with regular diodes.

Bob

alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 04:07:04 PM »
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the welcome!

It was actually made in 1978 but they made a lot with ST/SR model numbers stretching back to the sixties. It’s a single phase generator so I don’t think there any more rectifiers to worry about, is there?  ???

Is there some way to tell which way to wire it?

Thanks,

Alex

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 09:49:39 PM »
What make on the generator portion? We should have all the wiring schematics and parts listings.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 11:25:55 PM »
Hi Alexm, the attached drawing should get you going.

I would recommend getting drawings and a service manual

Bob

alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 08:32:35 PM »
Thanks, I’ve got the drawing that covers the actual alternator case itself. It shows the rectifier plus a resistor, but the resistor only has two wires on the same connector to it... almost like the full load voltage has been set by someone to be the minimum.  ???

“Increasing the resistance [snip] increases the full load voltage”

The rectifier has no markings to it, its only got the Neutral wire to the AC, then 3 unmarked wires going to the unmarked rectifier. There’s two wires to both ends of the middle horizontal bar/connector and one going to the top right horizontal bar/connector. The wire going to the top left bar/connector is the Neutral AC wire.

Does anyone know what wires go where, save me having to work out what wires go where inside the coils  ;D

It does work the way it is, at least it puts out 237V, but I didn’t check load.

alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 07:58:04 AM »
Yes, but I need to know what wires go to where on the new rectifier as I don’t have any experience of generators!  ;D

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 09:24:15 AM »
Hi Alexm, I will try to take the plastic cover off my ST2 tomorrow and take some photos. I do have other commitments in the morning but I will see what I can do. A picture saves thousands of words.

Bob

alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 10:06:55 AM »
Thanks!  :D

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 10:41:37 PM »
Alexm, a couple of photos as promised. Hope it helps

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 10:45:29 PM »
Don`t know what happened there, posted two pics only one loaded so here is the other.

alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 09:09:11 AM »
Thank you Bob, your internals are very clean compared to mine!  ;D

It looks like you have quite a bit more load on your resistor than mine too!

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 09:33:23 AM »
Hi Alexm, mine didn`t start off looking like that believe me. once you have yours running you can adjust the voltage regulation to best suit your requirements. You could fit an automatic voltage regulator but I have stayed away from that due to the number of electrical storms we get here. (lightening and sensitive electronics are a recipe for disaster) We get regular power outages due to lightening, bush fires, trees falling on the lines and etc. We have always been able to carry on as normal thanks to R.A.Lister and Co. :laugh:

Bob

alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 12:15:31 PM »
This is the first time I have done up a Lister and the first time I’ve done up a generator too! I really like the way Listers are set up and running a low rpm too. I was missing the wall mount cabinet so rather than carry on the 24V system I put on a ring gear and starter motor, took off the solenoids and instead added a fuel tank. I will add a solenoid to turn on/off the fuel and I’ve ordered a DSE 3110 which will switch on and off.

I had done up a few tractors and stuff but a random stroke put pay to that (I only have one functioning arm and a dodgy leg now) so I needed something a little smaller to do up!  :D

https://youtu.be/_KATZC_0N-E

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 01:18:29 PM »
Hi Alexm, like everything, your fist time is never your best but usually the most memorable. I`m sure the best is yet to come. A lot of blokes on the forum have mental and physical health problems including myself. Nothing to be ashamed of and restoring old engines is very therapeutic/addictive and hopefully will preserve some of our heritage for the next generations, while showing off the skills that us old f*cked up fellas have and would like to pass on.
I wonder what the millennials will be restoring in their old age, I phones and windows computers probably.

Just to p*ss you off attached is a photo of the inside of the control panel you re missing for a full SOM. I wouldn`t worry about it as a lot of modern electrical equipment would be destroyed by the 24 volt dc sensing circuit that fires an SOM. I always start mine using the manual option before connecting it to the house but I enjoy knowing that it is still fully functional.

Keep up the good work and stay well,

Bob