Author Topic: Solar water heaters.  (Read 8433 times)

oldgoat

• View Profile
Re: Solar water heaters.
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2019, 10:52:45 AM »
Something that has to be remembered is that the heating effect of an element depends on the square of the current flowing through it.  If it is run at reduced voltage the output will be alarmingly low.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2019, 07:14:55 AM »
Something that has to be remembered is that the heating effect of an element depends on the square of the current flowing through it.  If it is run at reduced voltage the output will be alarmingly low.

Just another thing I didn't know.  Thanks

I think next time I'm up there I might just mock up something to hold an element in a 20L bucket or some such & connect it to a panel & see what happens if it sits there for a few hours and extrapolate from that . . .

Cheers

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2019, 08:54:15 AM »
I Like the bucket plan, Mike,

I was going to just put the pipe in and do it eventually, but seeing as I've almost got all the kit here spending 20 quid or so on the heating element seems like a better plan. we have a pressure reducer on the incoming cold water, down ro around 3 bar, bypassing that should give me enough head to perform a meaningful experiment, just need to  organise some shed time - maybe organise the shed too!

Cheers
Stef 
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.