Author Topic: Looks like i missed the boat on the chanhfa experence.  (Read 4803 times)

old seagull man

• View Profile
Looks like i missed the boat on the chanhfa experence.
« on: August 15, 2018, 02:27:00 AM »
Hi All, it looks like i missed the boat on the whole Changfa experience, by about 10 years or so. But it looking like i might get  a turn as well.
One of our customers has a shed full of things, you know those thinks that you can,t through out or will need for a job one day, when ever that comes.

And hidden in  it all is this

As best we can find out its a zs195 made by the Shifeng company, but like all these things no date on the engine plate, so expecting a serial number was a bit much.
All the tools are in there orange plastic box, with a set of rings and main bearings, and it looks like the engine has never been started.
No oil in the engine, inside if the fuel tank is dry, so it might be worth a go.

Any one had any experience with this make of engine?

Sorry don't seam to be able to make my picture of the engine show in the post, computers are not my thing, so have linked to a picture on there web site, only difference is this engine has a radiator, with a belt driven fan like the Japanese engines.

Sorry to be so long winded, have enjoyed reading about everyone else,s adventures, and thought i might join in.

Andrew AKA Old Seagull Man.
Started fixing British Seagulls in the 70's and am still doing it in my 70's

Ok the picture works when you post, told you i wasn't a computer person, have grandsons for that. LOL
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:29:26 AM by old seagull man »

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Looks like i missed the boat on the chanhfa experence.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 01:54:18 PM »
One issue you should expect to find on one of those that has set unused is stuck fuel pump, injector pintile, or both.  Not sure if it is the fuel they test with or the tolerances in the parts? but every one I have ever had has had one or both issues.

As usual it seems, the USA experience is different than other places. We had our share of pure junkers sold here, also top quality engines.  I currently have examples of both. I have no familiarity with that brand so nothing to say pro or con about it.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 04:00:26 PM »
Can anyone suggest a generator head, two bearing type, that i can get in Australia that would be suitable for the mighty ZS195.

Or will i have to hunt down an old Japanese generator from the 70,s or 80,s  and steal the belt driven head.

Andrew

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 06:01:43 PM »
In his other post he clarified 3-5KW.  The tough spot, a bit to small for a Stamford clone.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 11:33:15 PM »
could go up a bit but was working on the idea that a 10kw engine would drive a 6-7 kw alternator at full power, so a smaller one at say 1500 rpm would be a lot quieter, and less engine stress, so that's how i came up with the power figure.
All suggestions and education most very welcome. Just needed something for house back up power every now and then at the moment.
Or power for the dog house in the future.

Andrew.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 11:48:37 PM »
ST-3 or 5 are options but I don't recommend them anymore because of serious QC problems on the ones from the US importer...like bad bearings, bad bridge rectifier, bad windings, sloppy off center rotor placement, etc.  I'm an ST-3 user and now call mine ole reliable.  Besides bearings and bridge diode it has been fine in roughly 1000 hrs of operation. (2/3 of my run time is compressing air).  My neighbor didn't get so lucky with his ST-3, and I found that my backup ST-3 (which I never ran) had serious problems and isn't a viable backup.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 02:17:52 PM »
Thanks for the info Bruce and the advice.

I had noticed a lot of cheap generators on auction sites, and some having well built heads.
But most are fitted directly to the crankshaft of the engine that drives them.
So one end of the generator shaft is supported by the main bearings of the engine, and the other by the generator case.

So they would need an external shaft and bearing added to them to be any use. Or i guess cutting the engine crankshaft, and still needing a bearing and mount.
So i thought i might be able to find if the gods smiled an older generator like we used to see in the 60's and 70's that ran a belt.

But no luck in the search yet..

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 08:38:13 AM »
Well i guess its all over now, the  zs195 made by the Shifeng company arrived home today, a late fathers day pres sent from the kids.
all 145kg of its dainty little self. its a hand start motor but that's OK.
I had to take the covers off, as you do, when you get something new to play with, (i mean work on) i can see heads nodding already.
And noticed wires coming out of the center body of the belt driven radiator fan. Wondering if this is a small generator. I know some of the electric start engines have a small motorbike type generator behind the flywheel.
But i guessing this is just the power supply for the headlight, that's not there.

The plan is after its had the sump off, and the rocker cover and the pump out and cleaned we will give it a run. A number of members have said that stuck injectors , and injector pumps are to be expected. So im shore i will get my share.

In regards to the generator, Im following the teachings of "The School Of Glort" and looking for an old dead petrol genny.  But that's on the back burner for a while, first to make the beast run..

Also a very big thank you, to all on this merry board who have offered me education,advice and entertainment. thank you all.

Andrew
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:10:46 PM by old seagull man »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 12:08:15 PM »
Yes the two wires are coming from an alternator behind the flywheel.  Any engine with electric start has them but so do the hand start engines with a head light. Never seen an engine with neither have the alternator.  The usually ship the rectifier loose for some unknown reason but if you didnt get one they are very easy to source or if you are into electrics you can make one. There is no regulation as they are usually used, just AC rectified to DC and usually around 14V and about 5 amps.   The 195 is a beast to start with the hand crank, be sure you try it a few times prior to bleeding the fuels system so you know how much speed you need to get it over center as you do NOT want it to kick back, I had a very unpleasant experience with that. 

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 01:50:58 PM »
Hi 38ac;

I get what your saying but there is nothing behind the flywheel, and its got no headlamp. (Yes i know that as i have no light i get no cred, and no coolness factor) them,s the breaks.

So  pictures explains all i hope

Glort, im south of Brisbane.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:10:19 PM by old seagull man »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 02:49:10 PM »
Oops :o Missed the part about the wires coming from the fan area and assumed  flywheel.   I suppose that there could be an alternator behind the fan?? Guess you will have to get into it and find out.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 03:02:15 PM »
Yes the multimeter will be connected when the motor is up and running.
And we will see what it makes.

I'm guessing it the power for the head light, when its fitted.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 02:19:53 PM »
It Alive:

The ZS 195 ran today for the first time, and it all went very well. After we removed the sump and checked the bottom end, the rocker cover and checked the top. Boy do these things take some oil.
Bleed it all though to the injector.  And She started first go. 5 mins the first run, 10 the next and 15 the last. Radiator air was a little warm buy the last run.  SO im quite happy with the result.

Stuck the multimeter on the mysterious radiator fan generator leads. 9 to 15 volts ac, so i was right i think. Its the power for the head light. even though my engine is hand crank.

And just to make the day perfect i got a F&P washing machine for $20, i wonder what i can do with that.

We also found stuck under a cover a small gold card with the engine sereal number model and build date: 7/4/2016. that came as a surprise. So i have emailed the maker in china to see if i can get more information..
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:00:07 PM by old seagull man »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 10:37:41 PM »
Congratulations OSM, almost a brand new engine. If you want to bed the rings in properly you need to find a suitable load.

I try to test my back up generator monthly, I usually hook up it to the hot water immersion heater (3 KVA) and let it run for an hour.

Bob

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 03:20:41 PM »
Thanks Bob,

still waiting for the gen head. But now i know what to do when it arrives and is set up.

Andrew