Puppeteer

Author Topic: Ok, now I'm confused  (Read 5061 times)

lastlaugh

• View Profile
Re: Ok, now I'm confused
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 04:29:44 AM »
Here are some pics of the generator box. You can see the battery terminals coming out of the side of the box

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 04:32:56 AM »
Terminals on the right side

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 10:00:39 AM »
Hi Lastlaugh, good on you for posting the photos. Please photograph every aspect of every step, not for our benefit but for your own, in three months from now, when you have found spares, you will have a visual record of how it all goes back together.

I am a little concerned that a single 12 volt battery will not have enough grunt to start an ST2. My ST2 requires 24 volts (two batteries) to get it fired up. You could probably overcome this by fitting two solenoids with a timer to drop the decompression levers (start one cylinder and use that to start the second). It may be that the starter built in to your generator head is a more powerful unit and all you will need is a high output 12 volt battery.

Keep us posted.

Bob

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 05:52:17 PM »
Hi Lastlaugh, good on you for posting the photos. Please photograph every aspect of every step, not for our benefit but for your own, in three months from now, when you have found spares, you will have a visual record of how it all goes back together.

I am a little concerned that a single 12 volt battery will not have enough grunt to start an ST2. My ST2 requires 24 volts (two batteries) to get it fired up. You could probably overcome this by fitting two solenoids with a timer to drop the decompression levers (start one cylinder and use that to start the second). It may be that the starter built in to your generator head is a more powerful unit and all you will need is a high output 12 volt battery.

Keep us posted.

Bob

Yes sir, the starter that is attached will work off a regular 12v car battery. (That's what the previos owner connected the battery to) You are correct tho on the 24 volt part. Every SOM ST2 I have found online (mostly youtube) have had 2 batteries wired in series, but no starter. I think mine may have been added also.

One thing I have noticed tho is that mine is missing the box that sits near the decompression levers. I'm not sure what it is called or where I could find a replacement. Would you care to show pictures of how yours is wired up?

I'm gonna need the air cleaner/ filter and fuel tank also.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:40:08 AM by lastlaugh »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 09:42:48 AM »
Hi Lastlaugh, you are sadly missing more than you think. Please see the photos and drawing attached.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 09:52:01 AM »
Don`t panic, most of this stuff can be replaced with modern equivalents at a reasonable price. I will be talking to Rob at Old Timer Engines in the near future and I will ask him if he has any second hand SOM components in stock. You could also contact Gary at DES he sometimes scraps old equipment and keeps the good bits.

Bob