Author Topic: Four old CSs sold  (Read 2811 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
Four old CSs sold
« on: August 13, 2018, 11:19:54 PM »
Just a note of potential interest

I always think what someone will pay at auction is the real indicator of value of an item - regardless of red herrings such as the "asking" price of similar items or the seller's aspirations or illusions

So some chap here just sold four old CS in various states at "$1 reserve" actions.

These are the results:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1723681860&archive=1

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1723686310&archive=1

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1723684717&archive=1

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1723678391&archive=1

Cheers

lastlaugh

• View Profile
Re: Four old CSs sold
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 05:04:59 AM »
That's insanely cheap! I would have flown there, paid double that for each, and flow them back (if customs would allow it).

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 05:15:52 AM »
It's one of those supply-and-demand things:

We have lots of those engines because of our agricultural history and the people who are interested in them are all old farts like me - and we're dying out

So we have supply but bugger-all demand

If anyone can think of a profitable way to move them half-way around the world . . . .

I'm sure someone here did that with a container-load from the UK one time?

Cheers

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 08:25:15 AM »
I would have thought that buying all four, then stripping them down to big lumps, putting them into pallet sized steel stillages marked up as antique spares or similar would do it.

I think I read on here that degreasing would be necessary,then send them 'groupage' - part load in someone else's container.

Surely an an enterprising KIwi could crack it in a week and make a few shillings?

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 12:33:02 PM »
There is no need to strip them or fret over importing an antique engine that predates the EPA regs.  Filthy may set off some alarms so you have them powerwashed, then properly contain them. Of course you must find somebody over "there" to do that and probably pay them too. Then you find a shipper and fill out the proper paperwork. Then you pay the big bucks and wait for them to arrive.  I paid a customs broker do do all the paperwork for the Petter S type I imported and the process isn't all that hard but it does cost money.  Waay too much money for importing one relatively cheap engine.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 09:37:55 PM »
At what point (if the engine is completely broken down) does the package become "machine parts" instead of an engine? Could you ship all the parts in 3 separate packages?

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 11:02:09 PM »
I just posted this stuff as a curiosity, really

International shippers quoted me something like $500 NZ-US for "machine spares" at a nominal 1/3 cubic metre and about 300kg (I forget the details as I deleted the email a while back - but it was that sort of ballpark . . . .)

So, even if everything worked well, three or four or five engines like that would cost you $USD1000-1500 before customs yadda yadda in freight and handling, PLUS the purchase price, PLUS trying to pay some monkey over here to drive hundreds of miles, palletise motors, deal with freight . . .

If you were a rich dude doing it as an interest thing . . . then, sure

Otherwise, you're much better off with an Indian machine and accepting it may need a bit of work . . . IMHO

Cheers

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 12:05:20 PM »
At what point (if the engine is completely broken down) does the package become "machine parts" instead of an engine? Could you ship all the parts in 3 separate packages?

I dont know the exact answer to that. The parts that are coming into this country legally ( I assume) have the head, cylinder,piston and fuel system parts removed. Others have just the fuel systems parts removed.
Still not sure why you are concerned with all this as the EPA bans do not apply to engines built prior to the regs. All you have to do is provide them with proof of date of manufacture via serial number and manufacturer data. Tearing one apart eases almost nothing for a legally importable engine..  I was advised by my broker to claim them as non-running ,It  greases the wheels so to speak.  At this point in time 100s of antique engines of all sorts are crossing the ocean both directions, there is really no reason to fret over importing one if you do it correctly,,, other than how much to you want to spend to own one?? Personally would skip all of it for one engine and buy one that is already here. They are around and selling for less than you will have in importing one engine even if it is given to you.  You wont get one here for what Mikenash was quoted. I know what I had in my imported engine 6 years ago and I know what some others have had in importing a single engine. Everyone in the process has their hands out I  would guess that all in you will have at least $1500 in freight and fees when using a broker plus what ever you have to pay somebody to crate it and get it handled on the other end. , BUT if you want to save some bucks doing it yourself and chance having it sent back or destroyed (as at least one heree has experienced) then that your choice too.
You also have the choice of buying one that is already here, there are a heck of a bunch of them right here in the states and many times more in Canada,many more than most on this forum realize.  Want a 10/2 twin? I have one in the shed, expensive? yes,,, but so is importing one.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 01:03:29 PM »
I am not certain of the exact years, search tier 1 diesel regulation or similar. I would guess mid to late 1990s? For  a while it only affected on road engines but eventually affected off road too, tier 3 I think? Far as I know the last CS built by Lister was in the early 80s, 1983 I think? . Thus yes you are indeed correct in that any CS engine would be legal to import.  Customs people are not engine experts, just rules experts so you just need to provide them with facts. Engine was built in 19xx, here is the serial number, here is the production data from the manufacturer. 

Again, the issues with importing a CS are not if it is legal to do so. The issues are getting one's paperwork correct AND figuring out if one really wants to have that much money invested in one of them.  ;)

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 01:22:41 PM »
The regulations apply to stationary compression ignition engines produced on or after April 1 2006. Anything manufactured before that is importable without having to jump through hoops and provide emissions paperwork.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 01:26:18 PM by broncodriver99 »

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 01:52:29 PM »
To elaborate a little on what Butch mentioned about the expense of importation, expect to spend more than what you spend on an engine in freight and import fees. At times it feels like one is being panhandled at every opportunity along the way when the freight is going through the import process. Strangely enough the only people not asking for money are US CBP, all they want is a folder full of forms and paperwork.

My first import was a learning experience for sure. Second was a little easier as I had a better idea what to expect but the price the crooks wanted was a little more second go round. The worst was the final "bonded" warehouse local to me where CBP does it's final inspection and where I picked up the freight. They made me pay $200 just for unloading a pallet from the transportation company's truck who delivered it to them and then loading it on my truck. Then they charged me an extra $12 for a pallet which it was already on when delivered to them. It has become a fee game to them and there is no recourse as they hold your freight hostage.

That said there are plenty of shippers that offer door to door service and they handle all of the logistics and palm greasing, all the buyer has to do is file paperwork with CBP. It costs a little more but alleviates a lot of the stress and BS. Just beware the freight industry is rife with incompetence and outright dishonesty. I handled everything on both of my shipments and it ran me about $1000 each time. I could have gotten door to door service for about $1200.

I did the math and found it worthwhile to go the import route after looking at what originals and clones were going for here. That said if one found a decent deal on a CS already stateside I would say that is a better solution and a hell of a lot less of a headache.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 04:13:06 PM »
That said if one found a decent deal on a CS already stateside I would say that is a better solution and a hell of a lot less of a headache.

I once posted about a CS engine that I didnt buy on an online auction and instead of being thanked for giving away one of my sources I was trashed for not putting it out for everyone to see (and bid against) before it sold. Learned a lesson there.
There ARE engines here in the states and many more in Canada. I am far from a cyber search expert but I find them so no reason that anyone else cant find them too. A very well known engine dealer in Quebec almost always has one or two for sale, are they $500? no but neither are they located in Europe.  Just in the last three weeks I know of 3 that sold at public auction. In the last 12 months 5 or 6 and I am not searching every day for CS engines to buy.  I buy what I can get bought right, fix and sell and make a couple bucks doing so. If I just wanted engines to collect or pile up in the corner and was willing to pay the going rate I could buy 6-8 every year and not spend a whole lot of time looking and that doenst even include all the engines that Gary has for sale in Kansas ( or did last I knew). Bragging? Nope just letting people know they do not have to go to Europe to buy a CS engine. Fact of the matter is unless your going to buy a container load those cheap overseas engines become quite costly by the time they are here, for my money I 'd rather just spend it here and go get it,,but that's just me ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 11:52:32 AM by 38ac »