Puppeteer

Author Topic: I GOT IT!!!  (Read 12619 times)

lastlaugh

• View Profile
I GOT IT!!!
« on: August 13, 2018, 01:22:11 AM »
The guy called me today about the engine. I spent the last 5 hours on the road in pouring rain, but I got it home. The data plate does indeed say its an ST2. It has 1262 hours on it (or at least on the timer on the gen head). The owner started it up for me and it seems to run fine. He said he tried to run WMO in it, but it ran hot so he never tried again. Thats the main thing I'm worried about. What would make it run hot, and what do I need to check because of this?

The Kohler generator head produces power, (we tested it with an angle grinder). Now to get it off the truck and tear into it to learn how it works and clean it up. I want to restore it to like new condition, so if anyone know if it was the yellow color, or green, let me know. Also, and knowledge about the gen head would be extremely helpful!

Any information you can provide me about the engine will be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 01:30:25 AM by lastlaugh »

lastlaugh

• View Profile
Re: I GOT IT!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 01:27:20 AM »
And here is the gen head:

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 01:34:24 AM »
Congrats! Nice looking project there. The gold on the generator head is an original Kohler color. I think yellow is a pretty common Lister color as well. May have been two tone originally. I would probably paint it all Lister(mid-brunswick) green or all Kohler gold. How did the Tacoma do on the road trip?

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 01:44:00 AM »
Tacoma hauled it fine. Couldn't even tell it was in the back, even in the pouring rain.

If I'm reading the data plate correct, its a 1978?

I hope to strip the old paint from each piece as I take it apart. Will it need primer? Do any of you have a source for the mid brunswick green paint?

And yes, I think I did good on the price. I got it for 1000$

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 01:52:16 AM »
Mid Brunswick green is hard to source here in the US. I did see a listing pop up for it on ebay a month or so ago but the listing is gone now. I think it was shipping out of New England somewhere.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 07:18:10 AM »
Hi Last

I did the paint piecemeal thing, having made a mess of a complete engine, hurling sags and drips everywhere, I find a cock up can be recovered fairly easily with 'paint as you go'

I did the CS with spray cans from Lidl, a European chain supermarket that has weekly specials designed to tempt the mail into the store along with his Mrs. I bought a whole bunch of spraycans of a straight to metal product that performed as well as 'Smoothrite' but was a third the price

I don't know if Hammerite is available where you are, but the green is not too far off Brunswick, welll near enough for me, anyway!

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 08:53:08 AM »
Congratulations Lastlaugh, Should be a great project and give you enormous pleasure and hours of frustration. Looks like that Kohler head has three slip rings so it`s probably three phase.

If the engine was overheating it is much more likely that the cooling vanes on the cylinders are full of sh1t. Mine was completely covered in a mixture of dust, oil, chicken feathers and mouse droppings.

Paint it any color you like, mine looks like this:

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 12:38:46 PM »
Can't see why it would be difficult to get any colour these days. They can scan and create a formula from samples as well as codes.

Just googled it and got a hit from every manufacturer here.

https://www.dulux.com.au/colour/mid-brunswick-green

Also found the colour Code.

https://encycolorpedia.com/375241

Should be able to go into any big hardware or Car parts joint that mixes paint and get it.

You can even make your own Colour/ Shade.
I have created colours on the computer, Printed them out, taken them to the paint joint and said make me this.  Don't even have to print them out now. Just give them the CMYK numbers  or a pantone number ( you are bound to find something in the 16.8M shades to your liking)  and they will reproduce it for you.

Those avenues work for you but not here in the states. That's why all of our repainted Lister engines are the wrong color.

The Dupont Dulux link does no good as it has not been available in the states since back in the early 2000 era due to our EPA regs and the codes do not cross over to available Dupont lines meaning ya they will mix it in a current product but it isnt the same color.  I once checked out purchasing a few gallons from England  and while it is  technically not legal to import paint that is not legal to sell here. That didnt stop me but the price delivered $$$$$$$ sure did.

Our paint mix shops do not recognize those European paint codes  been there and tried that too.

Tried chip scans 5-6 times at differant places and they came out crap too. Was told that something about our available pigments and bases makes it impossible to duplicate the OEM mid Brunswick color, I dont know, that swhat I was told.  I spent a lot of time trying and gave up.  I mostly use a mixture of Rustoleum Forrest green and darken it with black to suit my eyes as suggested by Gary at DES. Still looks different in certain light but close enough for stuff not headed fo a museum.

Now if somebody has a workable answer to the right color I am all ears.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 01:26:29 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 02:22:55 PM »
Congratulations Lastlaugh, Should be a great project and give you enormous pleasure and hours of frustration. Looks like that Kohler head has three slip rings so it`s probably three phase.

If the engine was overheating it is much more likely that the cooling vanes on the cylinders are full of sh1t. Mine was completely covered in a mixture of dust, oil, chicken feathers and mouse droppings.

Paint it any color you like, mine looks like this:

Thank you everyone for your responses! I'm exited as hell to get this, especially at this price.

I was debating doing the spray paint option myself if I could find a color close enough to the original. I'd much rather spray it with a gun, but I live in housing on a military base, and I dont think the neighbors would care for the over spray!

I was planning to go to a Sherwin Williams and see if they could mix the proper color, but have been hearing exactly what 38ac said. (Its very hard to get the color here in the states). Without seeing the original color first hand, it will be hard for me to know if its the real color or a horrible reproduction.

- ajaffa, thanks for the inspiration! Yours looks amazing! Where did you get the fuel cell its mounted on?

You are correct on the cooling vanes. I looked inside the cage and it looks like there is all kinds of trash up in there. I'll be taking it apart to clean it as soon as I figure out how.

As far as the gen head goes, I'm still learning! have a good basic knowledge of electronic principles but its been a long time. (I wasnt aware they were called slip rings, but I understand the concept now. (each ring is capacitated 120 degrees off phase). I've never worked with 3 phase power, but now I'm intrigued. Will this work for standard house backup in case of outtage? Do I need to convert it back to single phase or will it just use the first phase for single?

I'm looking for a manual for the kohler, so if anyone has experience with the head or know where i can get one, I will be eternally grateful!

Thanks again for all the responses. You are a great bunch of folks!

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 03:24:32 PM »
......... I've never worked with 3 phase power, but now I'm intrigued. Will this work for standard house backup in case of outtage? Do I need to convert it back to single phase or will it just use the first phase for single?

With 3 phase, the power is split over 3 sets of windings, so any single winding has 1/3 rd the power, if it's a 9Kw gen head, only 3kw per winding.  otherwise, you need a expensive 3-ph transformer that will convert to 9kw of usable single phase

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 03:43:55 PM »
Ajaffa1-  A showpiece finish and very classy setup for your ST2!  Nice!

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 04:41:09 PM »
Thats bad news on the gen head. 8.5kW is enough to power my cabin. One third of that is not! I may have to look up how to wire it to single phase.

Just amazes me.  There is so much so easily available and so Cheap in the states compared to what the rest of us have to work with yet you can't get paint in the colour you want...... or small diesel engines. Makes no sense at all.
Now we can get ANY colour paint we want here AND we can post it anywhere in the world...... For the right price.    :laugh:

Don't understand why the sampling of colours is no good. I have never failed to be amazed how spot on it is here.  I'm sure the machines aren't only available here and no where else. Most likley be developed in the US and sent this way.
The colour formula page I linked to has hexidecimal and RGB color codes.  I can reproduce RGB on my printer so i'm lost as to why such a universal formula can't be applied to paint. I KNOW RGB is used the world over.

otherwise, you need a expensive 3-ph transformer that will convert to 9kw of usable single phase

Not Necessarily.
Depending on how the generator is wired/ built, it may ( and Usually is with our power system gennys here) to wire the outputs so you can get 3 or single phase out the same head. I don't see why it would be any different with US standard gennys.
Not all of them can do it but if you have a 12 wire output you certainly can.

Believe me, finding a Lister here in the US is NOT easy at all, and when you do, you usually pay out the nose for it. I just happened to get extremely lucky!

I'm not sure if its a 12 wire output or not. I'll get better pictures when I get home.

Thanks again for the responses, and advice fellas!

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 10:35:34 PM »
Come on man, it's easy, just split the load, or am I being stupid?

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 10:52:03 PM »
Come on man, it's easy, just split the load, or am I being stupid?

Cheers Stef

I was wondering the same thing, but I know next to nothing about generators!

guest23837

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 12:33:54 AM »