Author Topic: Lister 2 cylinder - BS649  (Read 1584 times)

WillieB

• View Profile
Lister 2 cylinder - BS649
« on: September 14, 2022, 07:45:42 PM »
Good day all,
I have recently acquired a 2 cylinder Lister diesel. Unfortunately the identification plate received some sandpaper treatment and the RPM and HP specs are absent.
I could only just make out the serial number. How would I be able to determine the RPM and HP.
Thinking of using it with an alternator but RPM is important.

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Lister 2 cylinder - BS649
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 09:41:55 PM »
Lister made a boatload of different 2 cylinder diesels thus your information is too sketchy for anyone to help other than pure guessing. A picture would help ID it but that's not going to give you a specific RPM as the engines could be spec'ed at varying RPMs. Chinese photo tachs are cheap, buy one and check it running.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

WillieB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 10:02:30 AM »
Lister made a boatload of different 2 cylinder diesels thus your information is too sketchy for anyone to help other than pure guessing. A picture would help ID it but that's not going to give you a specific RPM as the engines could be spec'ed at varying RPMs. Chinese photo tachs are cheap, buy one and check it running.

Yeah, I gathered that much, although I am not sure whether here in South Africa we were privy to receiving a lot of Listers. If you send me your email addy, I can drop you a couple of photos, while I in the meantime get a tacho

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 04:09:06 PM »
-
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 05:52:57 PM »
Yip, here in SA we were privy to receiving boatloads of Listers.  We were after all a colony.  All government departments had them as backup.  Forestry had loads for their remote locations.  Just about every 2nd farmer had a few.  Unfortunately, people have realised their value, so not easy to find anymore, but they are there, hiding in disused barns, pump houses, factories.  Also, almost every old building site dumpster had a Lister in it.