Puppeteer

Author Topic: 3/1 Head Gasket Thickness  (Read 5202 times)

Delatite

• View Profile
3/1 Head Gasket Thickness
« on: July 31, 2006, 03:12:14 AM »
Hi
I,m new to this forum, though I have been lurking here for a few months.  At present I am restoring a 1937 3/1
which used to run a shearing shed in SE Australia. I have found much of the information on the forum invaluable
especially on  Gib Key and flywheel removal etc.
Could someone please  tell me what is the thickness of the 3/1 head gasket as I may have to try and fabricate my own.
Thanks

Delatite

taeuber

• View Profile
    • Coppermine gallery
Re: 3/1 Head Gasket Thickness
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 11:51:02 AM »
Hi Delatite,

I don't know if is the right thickness for a head gasket, but it is sold for Lister Stationary Engines.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7629995010&ru=http://search.ebay.co.uk:80/7629995010_W0QQfkrZ1QQfltZ9QQfromZR8QQfviZ1

It is 0.8mm thick gasket paper.

Lars

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 03:02:37 AM »
3/1 head gaskets are available from Russell & Sons, Toowoomba (O7 4688 9222) @ about $38 each + tax.They also have valves, guides etc for most of the CS motors. Seems easier than making one!

Cheers,

Brian

Delatite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 05:03:41 AM »
Thanks for that info Brian, gave them a call and they have them in stock. Not genuine Lister but better than the
$189.00 I'd been quoted for a genuine gasket set.
Did find a company in Thailand   www.gasketstogo.com   offering one off  gaskets for US$15.95  plus US$5.95  to Aust. They look to be a pretty slick operation and offer good service for any type of gasket.
Much easier to buy in your own backyard though.

All the best

Brent

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 04:26:06 AM »
Hum, I wonder if their gaskets are better than the gaskets we've been getting with our Listeriods? Who wants to be a guinea pig and order one to give us a report?
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 06:02:12 AM »
These are to fit a Lister as opposed to a roid, ie 7 studs and dowels around two of the 3/4 " ones.Having said that, they should fit, they just have more and bigger holes.I'll be fitting some to my Dursley 10/2 when I get around to it, and they'd better not leak  >:(. the originals dont.
The ones on my Powerline don't leak either, so it's not areally good comparison. Come to think of it, I've never seen a Lister/oid leak water.You sure you guys aren't making it up? ;D ;D

I'll be happy to post some if anyone wants to try it on your side of the pond (Pacific this time)

STOP THE PRESS!!! :o :o
I just made a phone call to one of my customers and they have the tooling for 3/1 and 5(6)/1 head gaskets. Depending on who owns the tooling,we might even be able to get some custom made (choose your lining material) at less than AU 38.00 each. Anyone care to discuss this?
I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Brian.

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 06:52:48 AM »
I should have read the gaskets-to-go post first! ::)

Think i'll pull my head in...

Brian the Snail

Doug

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 10:08:57 PM »
No wukas, everyone is thinking about gaskets-to-go, even me for the Petteroid. My gut feeling is you get what you pay for. 38 bucks for gasket made with correct tooling vs unknown made on the fly dies and materials sight unseen. I would like to see what this gasket factory actualy looks like beofre I send them money myself.

Doug