Puppeteer

Author Topic: New member, with questions of course!  (Read 2533 times)

lastlaugh

• View Profile
New member, with questions of course!
« on: August 05, 2018, 06:33:19 PM »
Hello all from Texas (USA), and thanks for allowing me into your world.

I'll be retiring in the next 3 months, and have been looking for a backup power solution for my farm. My research led me to the Lister engine/generators. I have been studying everything I can find about them, and started looking for local engines last week. For once in my life, I got lucky. I ran upon what I believe to be an SR2 in running order with a Kohler 8.5kW head, that also works fine. The owner agreed on 1000$ for the entire thing, and I will be picking it up next weekend (11 August).  I wanted to post up some pictures and make sure it is what I believe it to be, and that the price is good for what I am getting.

I will rebuild it, just for the knowledge gained, and be restoring to to like new condition.

Any opinions are welcome, and thanks again for letting me join!

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
Re: New member, with questions of course!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 07:23:23 PM »

I wish I could find one at that price !

Gary

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 01:01:52 AM »
I thought it was a good price also, and agreed to it imediately (without even seeing it run).

Is it, in fact, and SR2 tho? And does anyone know where I could find a service manual for it if it is?

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 09:10:01 AM »
Hi Lastlaugh, and welcome to the forum. I believe that to be a ST2 rather than an SR2, the lower crankcase door looks wrong for a SR2. The identification plate on the upper door should have the letters ST or SR stamped on it. The ST is a later model engine and more powerful. Spares are available from Dieselgman at a reasonable price. He even shipped them to me in Australia.

Very nice find. If it is an ST2 I will happily email you the manual. Welcome to the most satisfying hobby on earth,

Bob

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 02:11:46 PM »
Thank you for the reply! The crankcase door is exactly what I was looking at to try and identify it also. I will begin researching the ST2 now.

Is there somewhere I can look up the differences in the SR and ST engines? Also, I would be grateful if you could send me the ST2 manual you mentioned. (It will give me a head start on what to look for when I pick the engine up this weekend.

The owner said it was a 14hp @ 1800 engine that he bought as a project. Data plate says it is made in England. It was in parts when he got it, and he rebuilt it. He is selling it to pay for a slower speed engine. The only other piece of information he gave was that he tried to run it on WMO but stopped it because it "seemed like it was running hot".

He hasn't told me much more than that, and isnt in town to get me pictures of the data plate.

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 09:23:13 PM »
I found a Shop manual for the ST2. More studying to do.

I'm kinda worried about picking it up in my toyota pickup (tacoma). Anyone know how much the engine and gen head would weight?

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 09:47:56 PM »
If it is an ST2 it weighs ~375 lbs. An SR2 is ~416 lbs. I would double that and it should get you pretty close for the entire unit weight. I think your Tacoma will be fine, I have toted way more than that in mine.

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 10:17:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

I figured I would be fine, but the owner said it "weighs a little over 1000 pounds". Got me  little worried!

Anything to look out for that would make this a no go as far as buying it? From what I hear, its worth 1000$ no matter what shape its in.

lastlaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 11:11:56 PM »
Not looking good for me. The seller stopped responding to my emails. (Im supposed to pick it up tomorrow).

I knew it was too good to be true!

Well, back to looking for an engine..........