Puppeteer

Author Topic: utterpower changfa cooling conversion plate specifics  (Read 4896 times)

Boxelder

• View Profile
utterpower changfa cooling conversion plate specifics
« on: August 04, 2018, 01:06:31 PM »
Planning on converting the Changfa 1115 to radiator thermosiphon cooling.  George's plate seems to have the thermostat on what I'd consider to be the proper place for the "cool" inlet return line closer to the crankshaft, farther away from the head.  The port by the top of the cylinder would presumably be the "hot" side outlet.  Also, there should apparently be a tube extending down into the jacket a few inches on the return line?

Can someone please talk me through the physics and thinking about these conversion plates?  My understanding is that the cool return line should drop in via that extension tube closer to the crankshaft, and the outlet should be near the top of the cylinder, with no extension tube.  Correct?

Also, I've been looking everywhere for a copy of the utterpower CD, but there's no link to buy them anymore.  Can anyone tell me where I can find one?  I'd love to see what's on it.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

mikenash

• View Profile
Re: utterpower changfa cooling conversion plate specifics
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 10:26:03 AM »
People will have better-informed opinions than mine - but I'm not sure that thermosiphon and thermostat are a good combination?

There are "basics" to good thermosiphon layout:

Both pipes should  ideally have a slight upward rise from heat source to storage/cooling

Neither pipe should have a dip in it

The system needs to be vented to atmosphere not pressurised - I believe

The top pipe needs to be discharging into water not into air above water - I think

I would guess that at the engine end the thermosiphon would work best if, ideally, the bottom of the bottom pipe and the bottom of the cooling jacket were level - or close too - so that there's no "dead" water not circulating at the bottom?  Equally, if the top of the top hose was contiguous with the top of the cooling jacket to that there wasn't a pool of hot water at the top not going anywhere - I would think that was ideal?

Those thoughts are based on having built several woodstove wetback systems to thermosiphon into hot water cylinders - I am just assuming that the physics are the same . . .

And we know what they say about assumptions  :)

Boxelder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 12:42:30 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll pass along my thinking to the class and see what I'm missing.

Starting with the temperatures on the head, my inclination is to believe that the hottest part of the cylinder would be right at the top where the compression is highest and the burning fuel most intense.  Since heat rises, the hottest part should be the top of the cylinder referential to gravity.

The coolest part of the cylinder should be down at the bottom of the cylinder, underneath the cylinder referential to gravity.  I believe this is why there's the additional nipple on the return line, to get the coolest water back to the coolest spot on the cylinder.  From there it would circulate, do its thing, and eventually recycle back up the "hot" outlet.  There would be no need for a nipple on the exit, since you'd want the hottest water at the top of the jacket to be what exits.

Regarding the thermostat:  Since these engines are designed to be cooled by boiling water, one must assume the optimum working temperature is 212F, 100C.  It'd decrease slightly as altitude increases, but power would also decrease.  The utterpower site recommends a thermostat set at 192F.  I understand the thinking behind it, as it would allow rapid warmup of the engine, and accurate temperature control after warmup.  This should increase efficiency a bit, not that it's my first concern.  What is concerning is that without the thermostat, it'd take quite a while indeed to warm up 55 gallons of water to reasonably high operating temperature.  This means the engine would be running for an extended period of time at a cooler temperature than it was designed to, each time it's fired up.

The thermosiphon cycle:  There would have to be a continuous loop of water, with no downhill portions of the loop.  Whether it's pressurized or not shouldn't matter much as long as the entire loop is pressurized to the same PSI.  But it shouldn't be necessary, and in fact it's something to be avoided when using a 55 gallon drum setup.  Shouldn't be a problem with the 192F thermostat.

The thermostat:  It will surely impede flow a bit, acting as a resistor in the system.  But I bet there'll still be enough flow to be effective, or George's cooling plates would have been redesigned and built without them after a few folks warped their heads.

I plan on using this engine/genset to power my shop, as the local power company charges me $55 every month base rate, and then commercial rates on top of that.  Even though it's on a residential property, their blanket policy is that a second service line is automatically commercial.  Dirty rats.  Since I don't spend that much time down there what with the new addition to the household and all, I figure I can make my own juice and save a few bucks.

Really it's an excuse to play with awesome toys, is what it comes down to.  At least I'm honest with myself.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 02:17:32 AM »
Right

I had thought when you said "radiator" you were talking about quite a small volume . . .

But now we're talking about 200-litre drums I guess that's another story

FWIW our experience here with old Listers was that they were started in the morning and ran for ten or twelve or fourteen hours, mostly under load, as shearing-shed plants.  So, even if they ran cold for a bit, they had plenty of "hot" running to follow that

I guess the thermostat kind of strikes me as adding a potential point of failure into something that would otherwise have no moving parts and was close to "idiot-proof"  That's not sound thinking on my part, just a bit of luddite-ery

Boxelder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 10:35:15 AM »
Yeah I did say that. It was misleading. I apologize.

I haven't really made the decision yet whether to use a tank or a radiator. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row with my understanding of the system.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 10:52:07 AM »
Hey BE,

I have two setups - One with radiator which has heat exchangers on the cooling side as well as on the exhaust side to reclaim the heat for heating water.... This works very, very well, with all sorts of dangly bits to turn on fans for cooling the radiator and keeping things at the right temperature engine wise...

The other simply has a 200L drum with hydronic circulation for both the engine as well as the exhaust heat exchangers... Nothing fancy at all.... It gets up to temperature slower, but hits the 90C mark and stays there, regardless of the weather conditions...

As to which is best? Probably the drum cooled one, a bit luddite, granted, but way simpler and easier to manage...

Best performance? Equal

Reliability? Drum

Fun? Radiator

Versatility of fuel? Radiator

Impressiveness? Radiator

More prone to failure? Radiator

and so the list goes on.... But, if I build yet another one.... Drum!

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 12:43:25 PM »
- "but I'm not sure that thermosiphon and thermostat are a good combination? "  I agree but others differ.

An upright engine that was designed to be thermosypon cooled such as a CS or clone is a different cat than one that was not (the horizontal Chinese). While the basic principles do not change operation in the field is very much different due to how the coolant flows through the horizontal engines using a plate. If you were to bore and thread a large hole under the cylinder on your engine then standard Listeroid practice could mostly be applied.  The coolant will barely flow in a plate equipped engine until the engine is hot anyway.  The plate should be set up with the ports diagonal in opposite corners. the one closest to the head will be the hot outlet and the one closest to the crankshaft will be the return. The system will run best of you run the return pipe past the plate into the water jacket a ways. What this prevents is confusion as to which way it wants to flow when first started up. Without it depending on you exact set up it will often try to flow backwards which results in no flow and overheating.  I have found that the horizontals using a radiator very much self regulate without the 'stat and none I have built (4) use them or need them, others report different.  Having helped several with system issues the most common mistakes are thinking that hot coolant is somehow going to flow downhill, or in turn that the cooled return is some how going to flow up hill, neither is going to work. The other big mistake is using radiators not designed for thermosypon use. You MUST be sure that the top hose remains submerged in coolant at all times. If using a radiator with a small top tank that means you must add a reservoir above the radiator to insure it is full at all times OR use a radiator designed for such that has a large area above the hose built into the top tank.  As sure as I say that you must use a vertical flow radiator somebody will chime in that they found a way to make a horizontal flow work so let me say it this way. Save yourself head aches and use a vertical flow radiator.

I prefer to control the engine temps on my plate conversions with a fan switch. The ones I use  turn the fan on at 200 and off at 180 and unless under very high loading and hot temps they cycle on and off (mostly off) to control the engine temp nicely.  It takes my 1115 and average f 15 minutes to get warm enough to turn the fans on. As a test I pinched off the top hose so no coolant could flow and it took 10 minutes to get hot enough to turn the fans on, why run a 'stat??
I can take a few pics of my 1115/15KW stand by set if you have interest.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 12:52:17 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 12:57:28 PM »
Should have added do not cheapskate the material for the plate.  I consider 1/2" plate to be the minimum due to the distance between the bolt holes. My very first plate was 3/8" and did not work due to constant leaks.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 04:20:06 PM »
Glort, we are in almost complete agreement.
My way of saying same things is this; Rocket science is needed to fly a rocket, it certainly isnt needed to properly operate an engine that was designed  prior to rockets. When simple works, why complicate it? Paying too much attention to what ifs will lead to over complication.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:21:49 PM by 38ac »

Boxelder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 11:22:00 AM »
Wow guys, thanks so much for the detailed responses!

The radiator without a thermostat in the line but with a thermostat in the radiator to control the fan seems like a great combination.  I'm going to try that first and see how it goes.  The tank idea is great if the setup is never going to move, but my plans are to have it be at least partially mobile.  It'd also be nice to have a closed system which could use antifreeze so I didn't have to drain it when it threatens a frost.

Making the plate should be easy enough, I have a Chinese Bridgeport clone and more lathes than I know what to do with.  Time to find a nice thick piece of stock.

I'll visit the local radiator shop and try and find a good top-bottom style setup.  I've seen quite a few videos on YouTube, including 38ac's 5kw setup so I know exactly what you're talking about.  I just wish I had the artistic touch he does for constructing the cart, that thing is excellent!

Thanks again, and I'll keep the group in the loop with what I come up with.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 12:32:26 PM »
The radiator on the 8/1 on my youtube channel is the one I prefer to use. They come from John Deere LUC power units that are in abundance in the midwest, average cost $50 and they are designed for thermosyphon cooling. They are a bit large for a CS single cylinder engine but perfect for a twin or 195-1115.

Boxelder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 01:32:56 AM »
Glort - the Changfa is already mounted to a 15kVa ST generator head via a Lovejoy style coupling.  This coupling is absolutely massive, and the whole shebang is bolted to an EXTREMELY sturdy double C-channel welded and reinforced frame.  The previous owner was using it for - get this - an electric car conversion which he raced in the 24 Hours of Lemons circuit.  This motor has actually set a record for the longest distance driven in 24 hours by an electrically powered homebrew car.  The problem was it weighs a half a ton, literally.  His 1980's P.O.S. just couldn't handle the weight.  So it was replaced by a Harbor Freight generator which isn't a quarter as stonkin' but happens to be a quarter of the weight.

For my purposes I'm going to be running it intermittently, perhaps two or three hours at a time maybe four days a week.  I'm trying to fire the power company, which is charging what I consider to be penalty rates for a home shop gamer just trying to enjoy his free time.  They're charging me $55 a month base rate, and then commercial usage rates on top of that.  If I can run this thing instead, I might actually make some money back on it - this would be a new experience for me.

38ac - I've done some searching online, and the cheapest LUC radiator I've found is listed at $200.  If you have one or two you're not using, I would definitely like to acquire them from you if you're interested in selling them.  There aren't so many down in Georgia as there are in the midwest.

The engine came with a bolt-on water pump with small pulley.  If I can get away with not using it, that would be preferable.  But I don't mind going that route if it becomes the right decision.

Also, I'm not really going for a "bulletproof forever as my only source of power" setup, it's really more of a "minimal damage to the engine due to the high thermal cycling rates and short duty cycles" setup.  The thermostat I figured would get the top end up to working temperature faster, that's all.  To my mind that might have a positive effect on engine life.  But I'm no engineer.

Lots to do, little time to do it.  I have more projects on my plate than I could complete in a year even if I wasn't working full time.  But you have to strive, right?  It's a lot of fun just tinkering in the shop.  Probably the same for a lot of us on here, yeah?

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 10:12:53 AM »
The only thing that comes close to 'tinkering in the shop' is reading about the rest of the guys 'tinkering in the shop'!

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 02:08:02 PM »
I have a couple spare LUC radiators but realy dont care to part with them. You must be looking at the new reproductions? Go here and place a classified ad,http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/  it's free. Last time I did I got a dozen responses. Lost of LUC hulks sitting around with engines removed to repower L tractors.

Boxelder

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 02:17:35 AM »
Thanks for the link.  I'll go have a look-see.