Author Topic: LD2 noisy engine  (Read 1273 times)

BrianL

• View Profile
LD2 noisy engine
« on: July 14, 2018, 10:46:31 PM »
I have an LD2 in my narrow boat and wondered if there are any suggestions for making it quieter. Could I put a tail pipe on my exhaust and have it in the water? would it be any use ?. Is there a way of lagging the intake filter and would it be of benefit? What is best for insulating the deck boards above the engine. Any ideas welcomed.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: LD2 noisy engine
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 09:23:48 AM »
All three will help!

I used Buffalo phenolic faced plywood on my old Springer, not cheap but being dense it does soak up the noise,

Next is to search the scrappies or Ebay for a remote air filter odd a small dumper or similar, to help with the intake noise.

Third fit a small raw water pump, with a strainer on the inlet and use it to cool the exhaust before passing it through an anti syphon box, pass it through the hull above water. Use rubber exhaust pipe and don't let it run dry.

The biggest problem is noise transmitted through the steel hull, if your engine is 'hard mounted, ie not on flexible mounts, then there's little you can do about that other than pull it out and start again, assuming there;s enough space underneath and around the engine and gear box. if it's on flexibles check with a few local boat yards and see if there's a softer  mount available, the old ones may have 'age / work' hardened over the years. 

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.