Puppeteer

Author Topic: Finally brought home a roid  (Read 4855 times)

gusbratz

• View Profile
Re: Finally brought home a roid
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 12:06:21 PM »
I spent a lot of time needle gunning all the painted over sand out of mine. I kept wondering why you could go to so much trouble to ram up sand molds, cast parts, finish machine and dress all the surfaces only to skip cleaning them up. They seem to spend a lot of time putting putty in holes and casting flaws and globbing paint over it all. The Only thing I  could come up with is that the workers were somehow responsible for finishing X amount of engines per day. I can imagine if he made a fuss about quality or that too many engines were expected he would immediately be fired.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 02:58:03 PM »

Here is a Rajkot factory.
Notice the paint booth near the end of the vid.
No repirator. !  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcxat-Z1CBI

Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

sixoklok

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 03:39:33 PM »
I spent a some time last night dismantling the GTC. The comment about finding crap under the wrist pin convinced me to look a bit further. Some observations so far, in no particular order:

Though I ran this engine for only about a minute myself (shut down once it settled rpm), there was enough residue on the piston (iron) to indicate the factory ran it longer. It really doesn't like running unloaded! Otherwise good condition, no problems here.

The coolant inlet port on the head had some fine sand just in the corner of the restriction.

The thick green paint is way over the top and at least the fasteners, threads and moving exterior parts will get stripped. The case is not painted inside. I haven't found any sand or other nasties in the sump, so far.

I can feel some slight backlash in the idler gear if I really pay attention; just by feel, I'd guess the flywheel moves about 1-2 degrees. Seems normal but I could check more accurately if someone says otherwise.

Fuel lines have teflon tape on the threads, and the flared ends look like they were 'polished' with 80 grit paper. Governor linkage is sloppy through the bellcrank and pins.

Oil pump works, though I will dismantle it also. The oil dipper is 1/4 turn out.

There are 4 thin paper shims under the jug, no 1/2 gaskets.

I will report further findings when I have a chance to putter with it again. This engine has a 7 stud head, no liner, and iron piston.

P.S: What does the 'K' stand for on the small rotating cover near the bottom of the crankcase (opposite side of filler and dipstick? It says 'Oil K'.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 04:47:26 PM »
I would measure the idler lash to crank and cam gears.  This is important to check as excessive lash has been linked to idler gear failure; this whole problem area was researched and solved by XYZer here many years ago.  Rajkot changed the idler position (grossly increasing lash) and does not control it's location adequately. Lash can be measured via music wire extension to dial guage; tricky but useful in that you can learn what your desired 6-10 mils feels like. Offset bushing with turned down idler bolt is one solution.  Offset idler bolts to various offsets were made by XYZer for a whole bunch of us, and they were lovely.  Idler failures stopped after this, and I would not bother with a bronze idler if the lash has been corrected.

Don't forget 38ac's recommended crankshaft and camshaft trueness checks.  A freight handler's drop of the pallet very slightly bent the crank on my neighbor's 8/1 but we were able to straighten it via the wood post up to barn beam and jack the shaft method.  The camshaft was not straight- the off center drilling and pounding of the cam lobe tapered pins in Rajot seems the likely culprit here. Again, blocking and beating was able to get it back to true. Blocking and a press would be better.  I  made hardwood vee blocks that made the camshaft work relatively easy.  My magnetic base dial guage on my cast iron table saw top was a decent setup.  The camshaft wobble was first raised here by 38ac... I think it accounts for many issues with timing problems.  Cam lobe placement is also highly variable- checking this carefully by checking assembled valve timing could save a lot of time and frustration.  Moving a lobe is rarely needed according to 38ac.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 05:51:55 PM by BruceM »

guest23837

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 05:46:45 PM »
I'd have thought it was quite warm in India too warm to run an engine for long periods with little cooling? I have seen plenty of CS engines in Ireland usually cooled by a 45 gallon drum