Puppeteer

Author Topic: 3 cylinder AV2 Petter type  (Read 11772 times)

Doug

3 cylinder AV2 Petter type
« on: July 30, 2006, 06:17:24 AM »
Topland has a 3 cylinder Petter AV2 clone with 3 cylinders based on the 102, 114, 120 mm bore engines with the 116 and 120 crank.
Also looks like full flow lube filter.
If it not a piece of crap, run that at 1000 rpm....
That would be some kind of slow speed machine!!!

I wonder who builds it, or who else could build it, or if any one there can actualy build it right?

Doug

listerdiesel

Re: 3 cylinder AV2 Petter type
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 09:45:01 PM »
Looking at the new data sheets today, there is a PJ3 in the Petter stable, 96.8mm bore though...

Peter

Doug

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 01:35:50 AM »
Yes I looked at that too and thought the same.

But what I am begining to think from looking atthe Indian clones and technical specs of the real Petters is that Indian blended many Petter engines into a basic family. I'm not even sure its correct to call them an AV or PJ type anymore since these have been in production now longer than the originals.

The longer strokes and bigger bores also make me wonder who engineered these bigger Petter types?
Consider the 120mm bore 120 mm stroke Petter type single, I'm beginning to wonder if there might also be a Duetz influence in some of these Indian engines.

Thanks for you input Peter, not many are interested in these engines.

Doug

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 02:10:07 AM »
I am having trouble getting data for the AVB engine. Plenty of references, mostly in the oil industry testing field, but nothing in the way of a technical spec anywhere.

I am sure that the AVB was a much larger bore than the AV, but apart from dismantling my own engine, I have not info to tell me what it is.

The production of AV1 LAB and AVB LAB engines was fairly restricted, my AVB LAB is serial 100, the AVI LAB hasn't got a tag on it, or at least one that I can find.

Peter

Doug

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 02:25:32 AM »
Yes I went looking for information on the AVB when you told me about them and found little more on the net than a long list of oil companies is places like Romania and India who list the AVB as a test engine for Fuel among many others they use.
Interesting....

I wonder....

Does Lister Petter have an employee association and or a 1/4 century club retired employee association? If so perhaps we could contact some of these people for what tid bits of Info they may be willing to share.

Doug

listerdiesel

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 02:52:23 AM »
Yes I went looking for information on the AVB when you told me about them and found little more on the net than a long list of oil companies is places like Romania and India who list the AVB as a test engine for Fuel among many others they use.
Interesting....

I wonder....

Does Lister Petter have an employee association and or a 1/4 century club retired employee association? If so perhaps we could contact some of these people for what tid bits of Info they may be willing to share.

Doug

There are a lot of ex-Petter employees around, but the LAB engines seemed to be a bit of a 'closed shop' to the main production, I was lucky to get an AV1 LAB handbook on ebay a while ago, and that specifically states 'AV1 LAB' on the cover, but is basically a rehashed AV1 standard handbook.

The best sources tend to be the oil companies in my experience, but I keep on looking out for info to go with the engine.

The Caterpillar 1Y73 engines fall in the same category, ask a standard CAT employee about them and he'll throw you a blank look!

I do have some info on the CATs, c/o a helpful guy at Caterpillar in the USA.

Peter

Doug

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 03:39:02 PM »
Well we're not going to get any help from India....

So far I have found that the AV1 is more or less the same but all the other varrients are just a mish mash of parts from other Petter engines or other general engines adapted to fit the Petter style block.

A short list of bores:

80, 85, 87.5, 95, 102, 114.3, 120 mm

76 mm ( something I've never seen in a mini Petter )

A short list of strokes:

80, 110, 115, 116, 120 mm

76, 125, 95 mm ( just found these strokes). Would you believe they rated a 120mm-125 stroke to 18 Hp at 1800?

This is truely amazing stuff that a simple engine could morf into so many varients. There is a Petter style engine for nearly every aplication. The only trouble is you need to understand what engines are best suited to what loads and speed ranges because this information is not published. The list of engines you posts does offer some interesting insights.

Doug
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 03:48:54 PM by Doug »

listerdiesel

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 09:30:19 PM »
I think we are up to 22 factory data sheet pages (11 sheets) and there are another 6 ready for processing tonight.

I'm off to Scotland in the morning, be gone all day but back tomorrow night, late... 700+ miles to drive :-((

Peter

Doug

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 09:57:38 PM »
Have a nice trip...

Doug

listerdiesel

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 04:24:25 PM »
Have a nice trip...

Doug

It worked out a little less, about 650 miles all told, but still a long drag, and we hit a big tail back on the M6 coming south after a multiple vehicle crash. Ended up at the next services having a quick catnap while the traffic dispersed!  Home about midnight and slept through until gone 9am this morning, got rid of my jetlag quite nicely!

The interesting part of the job was the old switchboard in the hydro plant, it is completely open-fronted with knife switches and big radial selector switches etc.

Our new kit is replacing it, but it is being kept at the station as part of a display, pity really as it would have been very nice as part of a display with a Lister DC generator...

I took a few shots of the panel, I'll get them off the camera when I get a minute.

The power station is 3 X 11MW hydro generators operating as a peak lopping station. Fed from a reservoir which is part of the River Dee, it operates afternoon/evenings each day.

Peter

Doug

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 11:56:14 PM »
Sounds like we have quite a bit in common.....

When I have time I'll email you some pictures of the unit sub stations I used to build for a local company. Now I just repair and baby sit them.

Doug

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 11:33:26 PM »
Has anyone got new info on these 3 cylinder Petteroids?
Has anyone bought one? How does it run? What's the scoop, good and bad?
Is there a contact person @ Topland that will provide some specs and qoute prices and arrange shipping?
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's