Puppeteer

Author Topic: Fired up the old Lister today...  (Read 2958 times)

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Fired up the old Lister today...
« on: June 24, 2018, 11:00:15 PM »
...for the first time in a couple of years at least. Despite being sat all this time, she fired right up & settled to a nice steady 600rpm-ish. Well chuffed :)

A friend of mine is experimenting with what he calls "black diesel" - basically, waste motor oil, filtered to 1 micron, with petrol (gas) added to reduce the viscosity. We decided to try it in the Lister rather than his car, on the basis that if it didn't work, he wouldn't be stuck without a working car. Although the "fuel" was a little more visicous than regular diesel, the ole Lister took it in her stride; maybe a slightly bluer exhaust than usual, but it's hard to tell. Since we didn't have any "clean" diesel to switch over to, I've had to stop her with this dodgy "diesel substitute". Be interesting to see if she still starts next week...

If I get chance, I'll take some video/pix next time.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: Fired up the old Lister today...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 10:33:55 AM »
Hi Ade,

Take care! One thing I have noticed while playing with WMO is the amount of water that is sometimes held in suspension by the detergents in the motor oil.... It is not uncommon to have about 5 to 10% water content in this part of the world... Injector pump elements don't like sitting around in that cr@p and tend to corrode/get sticky quite easily...(not to mention PH which becomes interesting when water is added to the mix!)

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 11:06:18 AM »
There's just something special about a Lister looping along in the 600 RPM range that is wonderful.  Getting an old friend back on his feet is always a proud moment too.  Congratulations!

Damn; My Witte hasn't smoked, coughed or farted in four years.

When using vegetable oil I always throw in about 10% gasoline even though we never dip below 65 degrees F.  And I never run it thicker than 50% with diesel - either one.

You might pay attention to which way the exhaust is blowing as well.  The mixology of motor oil is just too far beyond my pay grade to mess with.  I guess I've buried too many people with COPD.

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 06:04:41 PM »
I believe I wrote that WMO chemistry is beyond my credentials or pay grade.

Revised this morning:

I had a revelation while pulling weeds this morning and it was inspired by one of ajaffa1's posts.

I have become somewhat of a bore on anti petroleum and coal energy production.  I apologize.  This is my favorite forum and I will be getting back to basics from now on no matter how much I'm baited (see, I'm the victim).  Thanks for your time and energy.

Aloha

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 09:55:21 PM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 07:59:16 PM »
FWIW, I'm not too worried. She'll be getting a pint of real diesel back in her this weekend... My friend, who wanted to try the "black diesel" out, ended up throwing 25l in his car anyway (after he bought breakdown cover - I hadn't the heart to tell him they'd probably charge him an arm & a leg if he did break down & they discovered what fuel he was using...), and apparently it's going better than it's ever done! So there you go - real diesel, not as good as the dodgy stuff!
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 07:07:43 PM »
Yep, it's an old mechanically injected engine. French too, so it should run well on garlic oil too  ;D

He bought a 1 micron filter bag & filtered his oil through that, shame he didn't properly clean out the receiving vessel.... had to filter it again to get the lumps out! But once done, although a bit gloopier than real diesel, it seems to work fine. I think he put 20% RUG in it to thin it out.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 08:50:53 PM »
What Merc was it? My mate's after an estate, and an old Merc might just be the answer. He'll be even happier if he can just dump WMO in the tank without much petrol in it... petrol's expensive here.

We rarely have problems with high temperatures. Right now we're getting a right heat wave - 30 degrees C, that's bloody hot for Northern England. You can tell it's hot down South too, because it's in all the newspapers...

9pm and it's still mid 20s, there'll be a lot of uncomfortable people tonight. Me, I can sleep in anything now...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 08:06:10 AM »
Sat in the Pyrenees reading Glorts post, I can see snow still on two mountains.........................

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.