Alternative fuels > Waste Vegetable Oil

WVO Centrifuge Design - thoughs ?

<< < (3/6) > >>

mike90045:

--- Quote from: AdeV on June 19, 2018, 08:17:09 PM ---.... then assume a 1lb lump flies off I can calculate the energy in that when it strikes the outer casing, which will tell me if I need to put a second 5mm steel ring around the inner one for protection purposes.........
--- End quote ---

Once one lump flies off, I would assume the rest would follow in the next half second. So all the unbalanced drum will be shedding into your containment ring.   And if there is a spark and the oil is hot enough......

veggie:
UPDATE:

The project is slowly moving along.
I am now in the process of adding the circulation pump and interconnecting tubing.

veggie:
Inline oil heater made from a pipe with threaded connections welded in place.
1000 watt , 120 volt element.

veggie:
PROBLEM !

I am using a small 12 volt gear pump to move the oil around.
It runs fine when connected directly to 12 volts, but my plan was to drive it with a 12 volt PWM motor speed controller so that I can finely control the flow rate of the oil through the centrifuge.
When I tested the PWM controller on this 12 volt pump, the pump ran at a fixed speed regardless of where I dialed the Pot on the PWM controller. After 15 seconds there was a lot of "Magic Smoke" coming out of the PWM controller. GAME OVER  :'(

(The PWM controller cost me $17 so it's not a big loss)

My question to the group is...
Any idea why this controller would run my 12VDC fertilizer sprayer pump at various speeds but then cook itself when trying to drive this 12 VDC gear pump. Both pumps use 4 amps and the PWM modulator is rated higher than that.

Could it be Brusless vs. Brush type ?
I would really like to be able to vary the speed on this Gear pump.
Any ideas?

Here is the pump... (not the same seller as I used but still the same pump)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/12V-Scavenge-Gear-Pump-Diesel-Fuel-Scavenge-Oil-Transfer-US-FAST-SHIP-Black-Pump/151707363632?epid=1441247850&hash=item235276a930:g:mX4AAOSwIeFbMwqt

Here's the pump...

AdeV:
Possibly the pump ended up drawing a much larger than rated current. I've got a similar pump, when I tried loading it up through a spray head, it shot over it's 4amp rating, I think it peaked at about 9 amps.

I'm not sure why those gear pumps are so much more expensive than similarly rated diaphragm pumps. In my experiments, the latter never went over their rated ampage,  and produced a far superior pressure. They're also capable of holding back mains pressure water, which simply sluices through a gear pump like it wasn't there...

(I know: Why bother with a pump when you've got mains water, right? Metering... and solenoid or motorised valves are far too slow acting when faced with a bar or so of mains water... stop the pump, the flow stops instantly).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version