Author Topic: Lister L Questions  (Read 8477 times)

dmulally

• View Profile
Re: Lister L Questions
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 01:33:47 AM »
Another quick question. Does anybody have any idea of the hourly fuel consumption of a lister L?

dmulally

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 03:15:52 AM »
Hey thanks, Glort.

I don't even know what the g means so you're one up on me. I have about a 15l tank and I seem to run it for an eternity and I haven't run out of petrol yet so I'm just curious. It only runs a small alternator so I don't think the load is much for the big flywheel. I'm waiting for it to run out so I can make a measuring stick in which I can do some proper testing.

I live off grid and am considering an upgrade of my batteries. But as they don't last anywhere as long as the manufacturers specs claim they do I'd like to do the maths to see where a lister fits into the price equation for winter.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 12:03:43 PM »
Another quick question. Does anybody have any idea of the hourly fuel consumption of a lister L?

That is going to depend on your loading but they use a good bit even when doing nothing at all. They are quite inefficient as compared to a modern engine.  Although I have never actually checked fuel usage on my L or TL I would guess that under no load the L uses 1/2 gallon per hour and the TL is (of course) close to double that. Given a decent loading I would guess that the L will use 1 gallon per hour. 
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 12:08:45 PM »
Our mate Glort is right , as usual, (very irritating) :) The amount of fuel used is totally dependent on the load. Be it a diesel or petrol engine the governor will try to maintain a steady RPM by increasing/decreasing the fuel pumped into the ICE. A heavy load burns more fuel, a light load less. Diesel engines run better under a heavy load and suffer from bore glazing and carbon build up under light loads. Your Lister L will be a lot less economical than a diesel (and noisier) but shouldn`t suffer from any of the problems associated with diesels at low loads.

Diesel engines have the advantage that they will run on a multitude of fuels: regular diesel, waste oils and vegetable oils, depending on where you live and what is available for free. Petrol is only available from the local, government taxed outlet, depending on your occupation some of the cost may be tax deductible.

Batteries are a PITA, they never last as long as they claim in the sales blurb and when you really need them they let you down. They are also very susceptible to damage from cold weather. I have two starter batteries for my back up generator that have always let me down, I now have both coupled to permanent maintenance chargers which come on every evening as the temperature drops.

The beauty of Lister engines is that they come with a crank handle, when every thing else has failed you will still have power and be able to maintain a comfortable living environment while everyone else sits in the cold and dark. :laugh:

Bob

dmulally

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 09:14:12 PM »

It only runs a small alternator so I don't think the load is much for the big flywheel.

If the alternator you are running is from a car, the Charge control on them is pretty crap and they become inefficient. The alternators themselves are great, it's the CONTROLLERS that let them down. You would do well to bypass or remove the internal control and use an electronic external controller....depending on how many hours you run it and what your return on the investment of a controller would be time wise.
Better still, if you are going to put any real hours on the thing, get a Diesel and run it on waste oil being vegetable oil or engine oil.

Hi Glort,

I have a pretty interesting (to me) set up for back up charging. 95% of the work is done by solar panels and a wind turbine in winter. But for the rest the little tractor/drag racing alternator goes through to a three stage charger. It is called a Pro-Alt C by Stirling and it not only charges my batteries at the correct voltage, it acts as an external regulator. So it controls the amps in during bulk, absorption and float.

I have other generators which are pure sine wave rated and fine to run external chargers but they simply aren't as much fun as the Lister.

I have a diesel lister SR3 but it is seized. Any ideas on where to start to get it running? I am used to whipping off the head and using a lump of wood and hammer to free a stuck piston but to be honest I know nothing about diesels. Every time my David Brown tractor sh1ts the bed I could weep!  :D

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2018, 10:55:35 PM »
Glort, if you want a change over switch have a look at these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125A-Changeover-Switch-Mains-Standby-Generator/382510128826?hash=item590f615eba

I bought one and had it shipped to Australia for about a third of the price of buying one here.

Regarding your seized SR3, before you start dismantling everything remove the fuel injectors and fill the bores with penetrating oil, leave for a week and then see if it will turn over. If it`s just a little surface rust in the bores you might get lucky.

If you do have to strip it down the cylinders can be re-bored and Dieselgman should be able to provide over sized pistons.

Bob

dmulally

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2018, 11:04:56 PM »
Thanks. How much oil do you suggest I whack in there?

dmulally

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2018, 01:37:03 AM »
Thanks once again.

I tried the big bar trick already and it cracked the small flywheel. I might take some pictures and post some results. Could help somebody. I can't see myself wanting to run a diesel 1500rpm engine inside the shed but always good to have a backup.

I also have a 1920's regal but is missing a mag.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2018, 03:04:42 AM »
You could also try a mixture of automatic transmission fluid and acetone. some people report good results though I`ve never tried it myself.

Bob

dmulally

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2018, 09:32:50 PM »
Here are my other engines. The regal is the one that I need to adapt some sort of magneto for as it turns relatively smooth and this is the seized diesel.

dmulally

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2018, 08:54:30 PM »

Some day somebody in the future will be googling this so I might as well give them a hand.

With a small load of an alternator charging house batteries, my Lister L uses 850ml an hour.