Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister L Questions  (Read 8474 times)

dmulally

• View Profile
Lister L Questions
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:49:48 PM »
Hi All,

Fantastic forum and I've searched but not been able to find the answer I was looking for.

I have a Lister L that I use to power my off grid cabin via an alternator. It does a fantastic job and listening to it running is like hearing the waves crash at the beach for me.

I have a small 12l cylinder fuel tank hanging off the back but am wondering what is the best way to attach a larger tank. As it currently has the vacuum line and rigid fuel line for the top would I just need to fabricate a bigger one for these to plug into? Or can I put a low pressure fuel pump in and use a rubber line to the main fuel line? Perhaps gravity fed? Anyway, I'm after ideas. Attached is a pic of the fuel line to the left of the flywheel.

The other question I have is to what looks like a pressure relief valve that is on the side of the head. I got myself an instruction manual but it doesn't mention it. What does this do?

Cheers

Damian

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Lister L Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 12:48:29 AM »
Hi Damian, I am no expert on the lister L but I am happy to share what little I do know. The fuel system on thee incorporates a lift pump mechanism that lifts fuel from the tank to the carburettor. They do not have what we would recognise as a float chamber so I suspect that gravity feeding from a raised tank could flood the cylinder. I would recommend fabricating a larger tank and fitting it in the original position using the original lines. Alternatively, it might be possible to fit a float chamber to the side of the original tank and then gravity feed that from a larger raised tank.

If I remember rightly, these had a brass valve on the side of the cylinder head, this was a decompression valve allowing one to crank the engine without busting a gut. Older engines that have lost some compression probably don`t require it`s use. If you are going to use it don`t smoke as it pumps a nasty mixture of air and gasoline into your engine shed.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 11:30:26 AM »
As Bob said the carburetor on those does not have a float. The way it works is the fuel pump always pumps more fuel than the engine can use and the excess flows over a weir and goes back to the tank.  Thus unless your going to do some fancy rigging the fuel tank must be below the carburetor and fuel must be pumped up to it wit a gravity return to same tank.   

I understand playing with engines, I do it a lot  ;) But I have an L and a  TL and for the the amount of fuel they use as compared to a CS diesel doing the same work you would quickly pay for a CS in fuel costs.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Dieselsmoker

• If your genset fails, remeber Ps 119:105 - Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
  • Self-Certified Professional Engine Lover
    • View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 03:52:32 PM »
Nice engine!
I like that top water hose. I've been on the lookout for that type of hose but no luck so far.   
1963 Lister 6/1 genset - Restored
1942 Fairbanks-Morse ZC-208 - Restored
1945 Ruston & Hornsby PB 3HP - To be restored
1954 John Deere 40-S - Current project

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 12:15:54 AM »
Nice engine!
I like that top water hose. I've been on the lookout for that type of hose but no luck so far.   

Hi Dieselsmoker, I also like that hose. I think I have seen hoses like that in some washing machines, check out your local repair shop.

Bob

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 05:41:32 AM »
That top hose is "universal fit" radiator hose.  Good for an emergency, but poor long term in a car, because it wants to straighten itself out, and that stress eventually breaks the fitting off the radiator.

dmulally

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 03:54:47 AM »
Hi All,

Another question if I may. I have heard that you can run the exhaust into a bucket of water which muffles the exhaust noise. Has anybody done this and are there any considerations I need to think about?

Cheers

Damian

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 10:08:17 AM »
Hi Damien, Listers built a lot of marine engines for canal boats and barges, some of these vent their exhaust underwater which has an excellent sound deadening effect.

Any modern muffler should be a huge improvement on the simple pepper pot exhaust shown in your original photo. A visit to your local scrap yard should provide you with everything you need.

If you`re in a built up area and planning to run your L at night, you could try venting your exhaust through an underground system. Requires a bit of hard work, some pipes and some concrete. Very effective and long lasting but won`t cut out the mechanical noise the engine produces.

Bob

dmulally

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 09:39:29 PM »
Thanks Bob.

I live rural so it's not too much of a problem and I actually quite like the clanking and rocking of the engine. It's just after a few hours the exhaust note is a little grating with the echo of the shed. My only neighbour's are great and they cannot even hear it.

If I were to plumb it into a water bucket would I even need a muffler and is there any chance of it sucking in water on shutdown when the flywheel bounces back the other way before stopping?

Here is a picture of it running the alternator that powers my place in the dead of winter. I won't need it in summer.

Cheers

Damian

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 11:01:42 PM »
Hi Damien, to be honest I don`t know if it would suck water back up the exhaust during shut down. You could unscrew the pepper pot exhaust and try covering the outlet with a piece of thick rubber mat during a shut down cycle. If it sucks the mat onto the outlet you have your answer.
I am a little concerned that you are running your engine indoors for prolonged periods, hope your shed is well ventilated, carbon monoxide kills.

Bob

guest23837

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 11:41:25 PM »
You can come to my house and listen to the 3000 rpm Yanmar screaming its head off!

dmulally

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 10:20:21 PM »
You can come to my house and listen to the 3000 rpm Yanmar screaming its head off!

I'll take your word for it, thanks :)

I measured the flywheel RPM and mine chugs along just over 300 rpms.

dmulally

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 10:22:05 PM »
Hi Damien, to be honest I don`t know if it would suck water back up the exhaust during shut down. You could unscrew the pepper pot exhaust and try covering the outlet with a piece of thick rubber mat during a shut down cycle. If it sucks the mat onto the outlet you have your answer.
I am a little concerned that you are running your engine indoors for prolonged periods, hope your shed is well ventilated, carbon monoxide kills.

Bob

Good test thanks Bob. I'll try that this weekend.

I don't run it with the garage doors closed. When I have the water muffler setup the water barrel will be outside just on the other side of the wall.

dmulally

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 11:07:08 PM »
So it turns out that I don't need the water muffler. I have a tractor exhaust and then a 5m run to out the back of the shed and no dramas. It just sounds like an old washing machine on spin cycle from the cabin now.

Excuse the mess.

Oiler

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 07:23:29 AM »
Your engine, or the carburetter at least, has been part of an automatic lichting set.

http://meijermuseum.nl/onze-motoren/engels-fabricaat/lister-bruston-generatorset/restoration-challenge/

1962 CS 6/1 for cutting firewood.
Armstrong Siddley AS1 for sale.

1937 Lister D

1918 Lister L