Puppeteer

Author Topic: WI  (Read 18056 times)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: WI
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2018, 05:56:02 PM »
Another idea occurred whilst plodding around the lanes on me old tractor this afternoon..........

Most of you guys are running 'Roids, presumably with taper roller bearings and no oil pump. how's about mounting a small piston pump to drive the WI in the same spot?

Given how little power it would take running one off the exhuast or inlet cam follower might be a goer too..........

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2018, 11:15:39 PM »
Here's my gravity fed, float valve/tank - intake manifold vacuum water injection setup.  My next step is a software update for 10 minute delay after running to allow for warm up, and turning it off whenever when no-load or shutdown condition is detected. I also have to add a  Mosfet to my interface board  for the solenoid valve control, and run wire to and properly mount the solenoid valve.

https://youtu.be/Y-91-CblrMk
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 11:24:12 PM by BruceM »

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2018, 11:36:19 PM »
A question for our more experienced WI users:

My Listeroid 6/1 engine is automatically shut down when running with no load for more than 10 minutes. Would it be a better or worse to do WI during no load time.  Either way is just as easy.  I note that at 20 ml/min WI there is no noticeable change in running at cold idle in 9OF temperatures. 

The next is- should I wait for a 10 minute warm up (winter AM starts at 15F) or just turn on the water after starting.  Again, either is just as easy, the question is what's best.  Normal run times are about 1-1.5 hrs, with occasional 3-4 hour runs (woodworking or pneumatic string trimmer). 

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2018, 02:17:48 AM »
Thanks, Glort.  I'll wait for 10 minutes before turning on WI, and will only turn it off just before shut down.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2018, 04:44:18 PM »
One more question:
My well water is moderately hard (magnesium, calcium) but very good quality drinking water. Is that going to be acceptable for WI? 

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2018, 01:11:33 AM »
Thanks, Glort.

There is a white deposit in the teakettle after some months- it's moderately hard water.  I will probably run it for a while then pull the head and check things out visually. If the water flashes to steam I'm hopeful the minerals will be blown out with the exhaust.

Collecting rain water isn't very satisfying here.  We used to get 15 inches a year but now it's less. The bulk is in August thunderstorms (deluge).  We can go 6 months without measurable rain. I do have gutters so it's possible...but bugs are drawn to water like crazy here since it's so damn dry.  Single digit humidity and around 95F with winds all the last month. 

I'm just debugging the software update now- it didn't turn on the WI solenoid as it should have in 10 minutes with a load.  No signal at the processor pin so clearly a software goof. Shoot the software guy.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2018, 04:25:18 AM »
No fog here.  I could do a solar still but that's more work than it's worth for WI.

I found the WI software update problem-  there was none, I had forgotten that I had pulled down that output pin to ground since it was previously an unused input.  The new hardware and software is working fine now.  I went with a 7 minute with load warm up, and water off when there is no load.