Author Topic: Turned out that my Lister wasn't ST2 :-)  (Read 8758 times)

fikamu

• View Profile
Re: Turned out that my Lister wasn't ST2 :-)
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 07:50:17 PM »
Hi again,
With my multimeter, the output of generator is between 208 and 212 volts. To my knowledge, it is a bit lower than specs, which says in Finland, that generator output should be close to 220 volts (+/- 2 %).
I have to check the nut and the adjustment like advised me in earlier post. I'll do that earliest in January, when I visit my cottage and try to find out, wheather it is the reason or not. I try to remember report results here, because I have got very good advice from many guys here in forum. Really nice to belong to such a great group.
Thanks and we'll be hearing later, how things go :-)

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 05:26:55 AM »
That will be good to hear back as to the outcome. It is always good to start with the simple things first. Do you have a schematic diagram for the generator and then a troubleshooting section in a manual for it? If so study the troubleshooting section and see if it suggests an adjustment somewhere to lift the output.
I have to do my voltage regulator on my vintage tractor soon. The generator is putting out 13.4v but the regulator is 11.9v which is not enough. So an adjustment is required to fix my issue.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 06:36:22 PM »
No dont go just adjusting the revs to increase the voltage thats not the way to do it. It is quite easy to increase the voltage there is a big fat wirewound resistor in the top box with a adjustable strap around it.  Slide it one way the voltage goes up slide it the other way and the voltage goes down.  But before you do that you do need to set the engine revs so that the electric output is at 50Hz.  The best way to do that is use a Plug In Electricity Power Consumption Meter Energy Monitors Watt kwh Analyzer     (eBay item number:153614689748)  Adjust the engine revs so that the meter reads 50Hz then adjust the voltage on the big resistor.  Heres a picture of a 4.5Kw startomatic topbox with the big fat resistor that you use to adjust the voltage yours should be similar.

Mick

« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 06:46:10 PM by listeroil »

fikamu

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 09:39:45 PM »
Hi guys,

And thanks a lot for good advice once again. Have to buy that meter from eBay and check the Hz reading soonest possible. Just now we in Finland and in my cottage place, we have around 26-28 degrees .. meaning minus :-) So, a little bit cold there in my cottage, but I try to find out that soonest possible. Also nice to know for your guys, that we in Finland and in Lapland, are using so called winter diesel, which has some added materials to burn right and also to start in that low temperatures. But I have prepared for that. I bought last september that winter fuel and so I have that awailable already there.

OK, lets see, when I can report from next steps in my case .. take care

Kari

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2019, 02:13:27 AM »
nobody else said it, so I will.

There are lethal voltages inside that box. 
stop the engine
 Adjust  the slider
Start the engine and check the voltage
stop the engine and adjust again as needed.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2019, 10:20:43 AM »
Good thinking mike,
You would think that is common sense but in these days of littigation common sense has gone out the window.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

fikamu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2019, 09:22:31 PM »
Thanks buddies and Mike especially .. that was really a good advice and have to be kept in mind. So "lets be carefull out there" like mentioned in one favourite serie in TV  :)