Puppeteer

Author Topic: Turned out that my Lister wasn't ST2 :-)  (Read 8754 times)

fikamu

• View Profile
Turned out that my Lister wasn't ST2 :-)
« on: May 15, 2018, 09:49:51 PM »
Hi guys,

Earlier in this site I explained, that I have bought  a Lister ST2 with 3 kw generator head. Closer look when fetching the machine, showed, that the engine is SR1.
Now I seem to miss a Workshop Manual or even thinner one for this SR1. Anyone here maybe having a copy of it or having that scanned some how.

If possible, I'd like to get one and willing to pay some for it. The plant was in quite bad condition, but hoping to clean it and after then, looking how to resque it
into better condition. If the mail server in this site is not working, you can contact me by mail karimuru@gmail.com.

Thanx in advance ...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:55:22 PM by fikamu »

quinnbrian

• View Profile
Re: Turned out that my Lister wasn't ST2 :-)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 02:15:43 AM »
I have a home for it! If you decide to part with it.
Cheers
Brian

Dieselsmoker

• If your genset fails, remeber Ps 119:105 - Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
  • Self-Certified Professional Engine Lover
    • View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 06:56:17 PM »
I thought I'll quickly scan this with my phone..  ::)
Turned out to be quite a time-consuming affair. I have other manuals I'll scan on a rainy day to share.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/dqhkkgizzei7xy4/LR1_LR2_SR1_2%263Cyl.pdf
1963 Lister 6/1 genset - Restored
1942 Fairbanks-Morse ZC-208 - Restored
1945 Ruston & Hornsby PB 3HP - To be restored
1954 John Deere 40-S - Current project

fikamu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 08:15:05 PM »
For Dieselsmoker ... thanks a million for that awesome document. It will help my project a lot.
Best regards and many thanks ...

Kari

fikamu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 07:13:50 PM »
Hi folks,

During summer, I studied my "new" Lister with available documentation and tried a bit clean and refurbish the machine a bit. After some cleaning and painting, my SR1 looks like this.

fikamu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 07:16:15 PM »
Also my new cabin for gen got almost ready .. some delay with hurting my leg a bit, but show goes on ...

fikamu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 07:18:36 PM »
Start-O-Matic and other stuff also on place ... just some painting maybe inside the genhouse :-)

fikamu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 07:21:19 PM »
According to good advices, I mounted my Lister on wood blocks and tightened them to concrete floor with heavy bolts. Hope that machine will stay there :-)

fikamu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 07:30:30 PM »
After some coupling of cables etc. I tried to fire the machine with manual way ... some smoke, but no success. Then I mounted accumulator and connected all electricity on place and switched the SOM to Auto -position. Connected some drill to load and "ta-daa" .. machine fired up. Some quite black smoke one minute or two and then black smoke disappeared ... letting the machine to run some 30 - 45 minutes and seemed like everything is ok.

Next day I fired it up again and wondered, how black smoke was going on and on ... after some 15 minutes the engine stopped and after that, it is very difficult to fire it up again.

Very heavy black smoke and the engine just tries and tries to fire up, but no success. Next thing I quess, may be reason to study, in what condition the fuel pump and injector is at the moment. Any better/good advice you guys? Should absolutely check somethinbg else, or???

Still so far, I am very happy with my machine .. some exchaust pipes etc. needed. but absolutely I am on the way to get electricity to my cabin.

Cheers

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 10:25:18 PM »
The way you describe it seems to me like a stuck injector tip.If you take it out the engine connect it to the fuel line again and turn the engine over you can see a spray and a sqeak noice. If it is pissing fuel thatīs your cause. Even if you turn it over with the injector inside you should here the injector.

But I like your set up look super neat, and especially clean. Really nice,

Bernhard

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 10:27:37 PM »
Ok made a mistake leave the engine but take out the injector... sorry

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 06:53:21 AM »
Yep does sound like a fuel issue. Good advise from saba by removing the injector and connecting it back up to the fuel supply and rotate the engine over and see what happens at the nozzle. Be very careful and dont put it near any part of your body as the spray is under very high pressure and can cause harm to you.
If you get a nice even spray then the issue is else where, timing maybe but I get the feel it is fuel and possibly a blockage in the lines. Always worth a go at using compressed air and blow out all the fuel lines when they are disconnected to the pump and injector so that any crap doesn't get inside them.
By the way, your description of your pristine restoration is an understatement. That was far more than a "bit of a clean and refurbish" a lot of hard work went into that. You must be very pleased with how it looks and soon how it runs. Well done and thanks for sharing your new toy with a purpose!
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

fikamu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 06:05:49 PM »
Hi guys,
It is almost one year, since last post in this case. So sorry for long delay in posting results. It has been quite many issues around and that is why I have not remembered to post anything conserning my Lister. Yes, I really changed the injector, which I ordered from UK (was it Stationary Engine Parts ?) and got it rather quickly. In my cabin, where Lister is located, I changed the injector with copper washer included to injector and also changed all possible tubes and filter in fuel line and then fired Lister up. And "voila" .. engine fired up nicely and only little some gray smoke for seconds and after that, very clear smoke, even non visible and the sound of engine was way much nicer. So, I think those were really critical parts to change and thanks to many of you helping me to solve out the problem. I run the engine many time during last summer and always it fires up very nicely and no bad smoke at all. So, you gave my engine really a new life. Thanks.

My only small issue is, that after measuring the output of generator, I found it was a little bit under specs and that is why, I have to locate and find the right way to speed up running a bit. I think, it may solve the last small issue for me. It is really nice to have such a reliable engine to produce electricity, always when sun is not shining and solar panels are more or less some weight on the roof :-)
Thanks buddies a lot for helping me and I do hope, that I can assist you guys some time, when my knowledge is better on stage :-)

guest23837

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 09:27:13 PM »
If you look at the gear case roughly level with the injector pump you will see a small threaded rod with a screwdriver slot on ythe end of it, it should have  lock nut on it. You can adjust the speed slightly with that turn it out to increase speed and in to reduce speed.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 05:19:36 AM »
Great news that the engine runs as it should again and you have done a great job on the restoration of it.
What is the power output of your generator and what should it be?
It may not be the RPM but the output of the generator. If this is the case you need the schematics and a multimeter to start checking all components. Sometimes it can be just the brushes on the communtator and it too may need cleanning.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.