Puppeteer

Author Topic: Waste Motor Oil Refining  (Read 58952 times)

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
Re: Waste Motor Oil Refining
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 02:40:05 AM »
I have some Katadyn survival water filters that will filter out all the germs that will be in mud puddles your drinking from during the end of the world saga. The filter is ceramic and the pore size is .2 microns. Wonder if you could use this filter and a hydraulic pump to filter out some of the carbon? You would not be able to use standard oil pumps. It would take 1000-3000 psi to get it through the filter. the biggest drawback I see to these filters would be the price of replacements. Might be cost prohibitive.

John
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

rf

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 05:43:11 AM »
Finished my centrifuge last week, don't know if anyones interested but heres the details and pictures can be found here for download.  ( http://www.badongo.com/file/7258700 )
Regards
RF
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 05:22:18 AM by rf »

rf

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 06:48:05 AM »
I don't get it, Badongo is a free file hosting site. I just tested it and it downloaded the file with no problems. I can uplaod it to a new host of your choice if you like.
I tried sending it direct to your email but the file was returned as too big for your mail box :(

Regards
RF

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2008, 12:01:25 PM »
So far, nothing :( A nice blend looking like a (milky) chocolate shake.
Jens

What does it taste like?
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

rl71459

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2008, 12:52:19 PM »
Hi RF

I tried to view the centrifuge also.... That site (badongo) does not seem to work for me either.
If you post it somewhere else please let me know, as I would like to see it also.

Thank You
Rob

rl71459

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 01:03:23 PM »
btw.... I did register, and still did not get to see the centrifuge. ???

Rob

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
So far, nothing :( A nice blend looking like a (milky) chocolate shake.
Jens

What does it taste like?

Send me your snail mail address and I can send you a sample to try out. BTW, things don't look much better this morning :(

Jens

Great I can hardly wait.

I have some milky stuff that has been sitting for several months. I imagine the more it is mixed, the longer it will take water to come out of suspension. I am not a chemist, but it doesn't seem to me much of anything is going to make it settle any faster then nature. I imagine the easiest and fastest would be heating it and evaporation. I don't think 1200 degrees would be necessary. It would probably evaporate before it got that hot. Does anybody know what temperature oil boils at?

As for the different oils, they may not come out of suspension for a very long time if ever.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 03:13:53 PM by rbodell »
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2008, 03:40:27 PM »
Lube oil won't boil at atmospheric presures they coke and smoke....

Because of all the additives in motor oil it will try and keep water in suspension locked up as a way to protect the engine. Get the oil above the boiling point of water and most of this will come out.

As I recall at cracking plant we could get as much as 10% water in our condensate in winter because the oil often wouldn't get hot enough in the engines to flash off all that water. Not to say the oil was 10 % water some water was mixed in from anti freeze spills and water that could get mixed in from all kinds of other places after it was drained from engines. And the condensate was only a fraction of light ends that boiled out there would also be varsol, fule oil and gasoline all mixed up into a slimy yellow snot that smelled like stale gas 

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

rl71459

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2008, 04:14:16 PM »
Hi Cognos

Thank You very much for the detailed information. I (as well as others) appreciate the addition time it took to provide the in depth explanation of the process's required to do this correctly.

Thank You
Rob

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2008, 09:52:24 PM »
Had a quick look at the salt-cracking information on that site... without posting the actual chemical reactions that they state are occurring (and must be, in order for transesterification to take place), I can't really comment on whether it works, but I can tell you this much:

In a refinery setting,

1. A lot of effort is taken to remove salt from crude stocks before any sort of refining takes place. One reason is that salt stabilizes emulsions!

2. A lot of care is taken, through equipment design, NOT to add shear to an oil/water mix in order to avoid forming stable emulsions.

It may be that with this "salt-cracking" process, you will end up with a very pure, dry, vegetable oil, but I'd like to see the chemistry... Salt is a poor catalyst, and the accusorb beads are more likely simple anion/cation silica gel beads being used here as a drying agent, nothing new about that. So what's really happening? So, I'm a little sceptical.

Part 2 of this is, if the process is so efficient and widely known, why isn't it being used commercially? 

Providing it actually works. That has a pretty fancy price there.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2008, 06:26:16 AM »
Just a quick follow-up ....

My cocktail of oils,water, fuel and salt shows no sign of separating. 

Try adding a SMALL (5%) amount of water, and gently agitate.  That may kick it off.  And warm it up to at least 60F, that may help too.  Even heating to 100F may work

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2008, 11:03:38 PM »
Anyone centrifuge this stuff?

Getting some really nasty sticky S@%t stuck in the rotor, real pain to clean it out.  Any thoughts on what this residue is composed of?

Fred

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2008, 11:10:14 PM »
Technical term is crud, sometimes called goo.....

It's water and suspended solids and oxydised stuff that will clump and settle over time as well

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2008, 08:10:34 PM »
A fellow who would apear to know more about oil refining and cracking and myself have cast some doubt on the salt thing.

Let me add a thought....
We burned a hell of a lot of fuel oil ( of our own making ) to heat the pots so we could crack heay lube oil into lighter fuel. If salt did anything good then the smarter people than me who ordered the drums of realy scary chemicals would have ordered salt instead.

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2008, 06:19:56 PM »
I use a dieselcraft centrifuge. Works great. The dirtier the oil the more often you have to clean out the gunk, but no filters to buy and ti does get the wattery goo out. just catch it in a cup when you shut it down.