How to / DIY > Everything else

I've only gone and done it!

<< < (3/5) > >>

dieselspanner:
Glort
I'm still thinking along the lines of a Pelton wheel or similar driving a 23v truck alternator into a couple of 150 AH deep cycle batteries, with a 6000w inverter to bring it up to 220v, that's a very similar system to the one on my old Dutch barge.

Charge control is all handled by the alternator. The batteries should carry the overload of the microwave, starting of the 'fridge compressor, hair dryer ect. and if they don't I'll add another pair.

Probably cost less than 500 euros, plus the 200m of pipe, and a separate shed to house it all.

Bob,
You're right about the weather here, any time after the end of September it can go from +25c to -5c overnight, I decided I wouldn't buy the place until all the permissions have been granted, the last step should be just a formality, the big one was the French equivalent of 'English Heritage' who won't let you do anything to change the look of the landscape, even tho' it's a bloody great barn that drastically altered the scene nearly 300 years back - go figure!

As for the local artisans, they are mostly overpriced idle twats who see the English as a cash cow with no idea of value and a desire to hang around for months 'til they deign to turn up. For the larger earth works there's a good local guy,the best roofer around here is from Texas, and the handiest jobbing chippie is a British female design technology (what kids in the UK get instead of metalwork and woodwork, these days) who lives 200m below the barn - she's on her fourth staircase now, not fast, but very reasonable rates and fantastic quality - she's forty something and pretty, too!

I mentioned on another thread that I'm off to Scotland for the final build and trials of a hoverbarge for the north Caspian oilfield, well that's the day after tomorrow, by the time I get back it'll ready to kick it all into gear, then it's out to Kazakhstan for winter trials, so rather than do it all myself over a couple of years, I'll get the people I trust to knock it out for me whilst I earn the bucks offshore, which will give me more quality time with the interesting bits.

Thanks to everyone else for the encouraging words, I'll post more once something starts happening......

Cheers
Stef

dieselspanner:
Update!

The planning permission came today, nearly 16 months after I 'Spat and shook'. The original shake was conditional on obtaining planning, so there's another couple or three months before the property changes hands, but we're getting there........

Cheers
Stef

sirpedrosa:
Hi Stef

I'm looking forward for that day. I'll carry a case of green wine, or white, or red, or even rosé, and let the others bring the meat. There will be nearby plenty of wood to make the BBQ.

keep going!

Cheers
VP

dieselspanner:
Hi All
Finally, a couple of weeks back, the sale went through. I've been away from home most of the autumn (on the hoverbarge project I mentioned before) so the only work that's been done so far is to  clean out the ancient sheep white and rip out all the timber, apart from the roof and the joists.

The weather has broken now, a week too early to get the road  in, so there will be no further progress until the spring.

That being said, I've mustered nearly all the parts for the little hydro plant, so there's a few hours in the shed....

Cheers
Stef

AdeV:
That's a pretty mellow pace of life! I bet it's a bit of a relief to actually finally be the official owner.... and what a gorgeous place! I've driven sort-of past there a couple of times, heading from the UK to southern Spain & back, many years ago. I don't recall much of what it looked like, it was dark both times!

Looking forward to several build logs now :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version