Puppeteer

Author Topic: AD1 engine oil  (Read 1516 times)

johnnyG

• View Profile
AD1 engine oil
« on: April 28, 2018, 12:57:51 PM »
Hello and good day folks, I have recently bought a New (Old stock) AD1 which is up and running fine, small problem is, whereas the oil level is fine and the oil which is light green in colour is clear. I don't know what the oil is so would like to drain it and fill with new oil.
What is the recommended oil for this machine please.
Any advice welcome.
thanks
john

broncodriver99

• View Profile
Re: AD1 engine oil
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 04:12:30 PM »
Lister recommended a range from 5w-20 to 20w-40 depending on temperature. 10w-30 and 15w-40 are right in the middle of their recommendation.

Here is a link to the operators manual. http://www.winget.co.uk/document/LISTER%20PETTER%20AC-AD%20OPERATORS%20MANUAL.pdf

It is noted in the manual that Lister supplied the engines with break-in oil that should be changed @100 hours. That is likely the oil you are seeing based on it being a NOS engine.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 04:14:31 PM by broncodriver99 »

johnnyG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 07:02:57 PM »
Hello again, many thanks for the replies so far.
The chap at my local motor factors has strongly advised i use 15w-40 mineral oil.
As opposed to synthetic or semi synthetic.
Would anyone concur with this.
thanks again
john

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 12:25:46 AM »
Until the engine is broke in, only use mineral oil. 

And I would change it BEFORE you run it.  30+ year old break-in oil, could be so bad, it could break the engine. Who knows what vintage oil exposed to atmosphere, is like.   I'd run it with $3 qt grocery store oil for an hour, and change it, think of it as a rinse to get the old oil out of there.