Alternative fuels > Waste Motor Oil

Oil filters

(1/3) > >>

Andre Blanchard:
This looks interesting for getting used oil ready for use as fuel.  If it works as well a TP rolls it would be a lot less mess to deal with.
http://www.albion.com.gr/glacier.htm
And a review.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3165/is_n7_v31/ai_17370618

Looking at this picture it would not be impossible to make one.  I have not seen a price so it may be less expensive to just buy one.
http://www.albion.com.gr/how%20works.jpg

Tom:
My dad has an old Belarus tractor that has a centrifuge oil filter. He says it works great! The tractor runs good except for blowing head gaskets from time to time. I guess the Russians hate to waste a good roll of TP. ;)

Also my Honda 90 trail bike uses this type of filter too. It must not need a lot of maintenance since you have to dig way in to the engine to clean it.

These units do make a bit of noise though. Particularly after shutting down the engine you can hear them spin down for a bit. Also they won't remove moisture and acids like a TP filter will. I used to be a sales rep for Motorguard and know it is a great product (no connection with them now though).

cujet:
I have a commercial Alfa Laval "EMMIE" centrifugal filter. I use it to filter fuel and oil to be burned in the lister. It does a great job removing water. But it does not do as well on dirty oil even if it is well diluted with clean jet A. It is unable to remove soot from the oil. The mix comes out looking as dirty as it went in.

Rocketboy and I tried a 5 gallon pail of 50-50 oil/jet a. Even after an all day filtering session, the oil was still black as night. I suspect particulates that are not heavier than the oil are not removed at all.

Chris

GuyFawkes:
alfa lavals were commonly used on the boats, where water contamination was potentially a problem, I spent a couple of evening talking to one of their factory techs cos the technology was interesting, we have some very interesting technical conversations and I can't remember all the details exactly, but three things stood out.

1/ they separate substances of different specific gravity

2/ they don't work well on different viscosity

3/ they don't work on solutes or micro particle suspensions.

in other words it is s completely different technology from filtering or even reverse osmosis filtering, what is it is a low G force lab centrifuge, the "clever" bit being no spin up and reload, it works on a constant feed.

--------------------------

any of you guys tried waxing out distillation by cooling instead of heating? breweries use it now cos its more efficient.

cujet:
FYI, I use the Alfa Laval centrifugal filter to put the contaminated fuel into the big storage tank. I then take the fuel out of the big storage tank with a small pump and a Motorguard TP style filter. I use the Motorguard elements with a published submicron filtering ability. Really the motorguard is an air filter. But it works well enough with diesel.

This process results in very clean fuel.

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version