Author Topic: Willem Andree custom lister engine and generator for sale  (Read 12346 times)

powerup

• View Profile
Willem Andree custom lister engine and generator for sale
« on: April 21, 2018, 08:10:11 PM »
Commissioned Willem Andree to make this for me for the end of the world in 2012 or thereabouts, ran it for maybe 6 hours.  World didn't end so I'm selling it.  My loss, your gain.
Custom AC and DC power generator system that runs on oil’s of all types.
The engine is single cylinder, 650 rpm, water cooled and weights 700Lbs.
Heavy duty 4 pole Marathon AC alternator with a permanent magnetic excitation generator built in that with keep the generator working regardless of how long the generator has been sitting. This alternator provides 120/220 volts AC for direct connection to home or business electrical panel.
A Heavy duty 24 volt DC alternator that is used for charging a 24 volt DC battery bank.
The engines cooling system is custom designed and built to work on convection circulation. Heat from the engine flows up into a small storage tank and then down through a radiator and back into the engine. Heat from the radiator flows through the Marathon alternator and discharged out the front. This keeps the alternator warm and dry plus keeps the alternator cool under heavy loads.
The electrical box with outlets is place directly in front of the radiator on a steel plate that also protects the radiator from damage.
The custom frame system has built in adjusters that allow the engine and alternator to be aligned for proper belt alignment. The lower base frame has a steel plate welded into the bottom that holds any oils or fuels that may leak out. The base frame is also a large skid plate that allows the system to be easily moved.
Put $21k into it.  All reasonable offers welcome.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:52:59 PM by powerup »

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
Re: Willem Andree custom lister engine and generator for sale
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 02:24:29 AM »

So you are the guy.

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

powerup

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 04:58:12 AM »
I ended up getting a propane generator that could be linked to my battery bank and turn on when the charge dropped to a certain point.  I don't know much about generators, clearly.  I'd like to find it a nice home.  If I take a large loss, so be it.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 06:13:48 AM »
I ended up getting a propane generator that could be linked to my battery bank and turn on when the charge dropped to a certain point.  I don't know much about generators, clearly.  I'd like to find it a nice home.  If I take a large loss, so be it.

Where are you located ?

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 06:19:49 AM »
Centraila, Washington per the ebay ad.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 09:38:48 PM »
Put $21k into it. 

Nooooo!  :o
Seriously?  $21K??
You really did think the world was going to end didn't you?

Sorry to say but your engine setup is not all that special. What you describe is pretty much what any serious DIY'er would do and they parts to do it are not THAT expensive. The cooling system you describe was " Custom" designed about 100 years ago and is used on the majority of engines of this type.
You may have been told it's custom or special but it's on probably 8-9 out of 10 engines like this and a lot of others. I suspect the most custom thing about it is how Wee Willy Weirdo has made it out to be some Miracle technology he came up with more than anything else.

The last thing you need is a warmed air source going through an alternator. The very fact they need to be cooled would demonstrate they generate plenty of heat of their won to keep them warm and dry and putting pre warmed air in is counter productive to keeping them cool in the first place!

I'd suggest you'd probably do better in selling it if you didn't mention it was a wee Willy Weirdo Special. His name amoungst the knowledgeable in the game is much more of a detriment than an asset put it that way. There are guys right here that would have built you a setup every bit as good and I really believe a lot better, and charged you a fraction of the price you unfortunately Paid.
 The guy is NOT the guru he makes out. He's a whack job that makes ridicilous claims that no one in their rights minds would ever make and from what I know, has never justified them. Most likely because they are largely impossible.... Unless you believe in the tooth fairy and the man on the moon.

I hate to think what you are going to loose on this thing. Even in the state's where engines of this type seem to go for more than anywhere else, I can't see you getting $5K for the thing. Maybe you could see if willy will buy it back for more seeing he makes such a killing on the things in the first place.

I'm sure you will be able to offload it but You are going to take a HUGE loss on it that's for sure.
Maybe you'd be better off hanging on to it and just waiting for the next time the world is going to end?   :(

Is this your engine and ad?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/lister-diesel-generator-/123061691699

Just an opinion

Mr Powerup probably made a couple of bad calls in buying that genset . . .

I have made worse.  I'd be surprised if there were many here who could put up a hand  and honestly say they had not done worse, either

I don't think there's any call to be mean to the guy?

Just my $0.02

Cheers, Mike

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 12:30:56 AM »
Ok educate me, who the hell is Willem Andree?
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 12:44:27 AM »

I'll leave answering that to our American colleagues

People could write a book . . .

Meantime, check out this older thread:

http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=6298.0

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 01:52:53 AM »
Best bet, let it lie. Buyer beware and all that. Nothing to be gained opening old non-productive topics and stirring up further resentment on anyone's part. I say, if the guy wants to sell ice to the Eskimos, let him do it in peace. Now when specific details are needed, this Forum is a great place to sort out any required specific facts. Lots of wisdom here and lets try to keep it a nice place to be! My .02 worth.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 02:03:06 AM »

Yeah, I'm sure you're right Gary

I don't have the background that you American guys do on this; so I'm just inclined to see the guy as amusing.  But I take your point.  Thanks

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 11:49:47 AM »
If I take a large loss, so be it.

Not trying to pound dirt in your wounds but prepare yourself if you are in a must sell situation.  :'( 

There have been several similar setups advertised and the price news isn't good.  Example, A fellow in Pa. built up a similar unit for similar reasons  with a 8HP Powerline branded engine, Marathon A/C head, CHP heat exchangers, Leese Neville D/C alternator. All  mounted on I beam frame test run only.  Complete set up, test run only started out at around 8K and two years later it was $3500. Somehow he found out about my little operation and he tried to sell it to me for $2500. Last I heard from him is was  "come and get the %^& thing" for $1800.00  and i said OK,,if delivered to my place. We didn't make a deal.  I dont know if it ever sold.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 12:50:40 PM »
So happened to be on Youtube this morning and low and behold under the suggested videos was this one from Willem's channel  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGObpTr3Uac  I watched it for giggles and thought hey wait a minute! that shed in the background looks familiar? Went back and looked at the Ebay ad pictures,,, Hmmmmm??? whats going on here? LOL   

Collector and horder of about anything diesel

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 03:06:19 PM »
Also went and had a look.... My Word!!

What a lovely interesting design - Just love the way the alternator pulls the air through the radiator!! Looks especially handy for when you get those niggly little water leaks in the core, you can mist cool the alternator and get a second use for the water rather than letting it go to waste!!

Also so handy to have the water filler right above the electrical control panel, it forces you to fill and top up the water really carefully....

Hmmmmm.....NOT!

Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 02:14:15 PM »
I too thought it looked quite nice.

My Listeroid single has a digital voltage readout and other somewhat "high end" alterations. It's pretty neat.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 12:01:05 AM »
Gents,

Mr Andree and this forum have had a number of increasingly acrimonious run-ins in the past... none of them ended particularly well, and frankly none of them need to be repeated. By all means, go visit the old threads, and come to your own conclusions - then, as Mr Confucius might say - a wise man his own counsel he keeps. Or was it Yoda who said that? Forget, I do.  Anyway, none of us need those old wounds re-opened.

Any further references to the gentleman in question will force me to delete posts, sorry. But feel free to link to past posts if you find something there you really wanted to say.... can't say fairer than that.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.