Author Topic: Greetings All!!! New To me Twin Power Line.  (Read 13786 times)

Viking66

• View Profile
Re: Greetings All!!! New To me Twin Power Line.
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2018, 11:34:11 PM »
Success!!!!! ;D ;D :D :D :) :)

Bigger bolt, stronger tube.  I actually used a real thick wall underground cable plastic pipe.  I found it at a construction site close to my work in their junk pile.  Man said "Sure you can have that"   Yaay

Now on to the other side.  I may just grind that one down too and do it the same way.  Thanks for all of the Amazing Ideas!!

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2018, 02:58:57 AM »
Just be sure to mark the flywheels and get them on the side they came off of.   
(aren't they different - mirror image, not identical ?)

Viking66

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2018, 03:26:59 AM »
I thought that was the hard side.  The other side has broken two welds already  >:( :)

I am going to soak it with some Breakfree for a couple of days while I go do some work at my Swamp Camp.

Thom

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2018, 12:06:25 PM »

I have never been a big Drinker although the last few years with things I have been though I have certainly given it a lot more of a nudge.
Thing is though, I can hold my booze way beyond what the normal person can. I have actually been properly tested, twice, in a research study.  They did it twice because I was so unaffected the first time they thought there was a cock up and so asked me to do it again. I got even better results the 2nd time.

Was surprising because I would have thought a non drinker would be a lot more affected than a regular drinker but apparently not so. I can drink a LOT of Booze and my blood alcohol reading is still easily within me being allowed to drive which was the purpose of the study which was done by a branch of the cops.
I can drink anything and don't like to mix spirits. Just over ice is perfect.  Only thing is I cannot stand Beer! About every 10 years I get talked into trying it again and it STILL tastes like cat's piss to me. Even the smell of it is off putting.

If I go somewhere I usually have a Drink or 2 when I get there and then am happy to drink soft drink the rest of the night. If I ever pushed my luck, for sure I'd get done the way things go for me. I had a mate that was pretty fond of the turps. All the sudden I NEVER saw him drink a thing. I asked him once if something happened to change his habits or outlook. He said yes, I had Children. He also always had fairly expensive performance cars and he reasoned that if anything ever happened to the kids, he could get them to a hospital a lot faster than an Ambulance especially on the outskirts where he lived which would have been entirely true.  Now the kids are grown up, I guess he's used to not drinking and still never does.
Might be why he is so well off and cashed up.

Was funny a couple of weeks ago. Went and stayed at mates place who is fond of a drop.  We were going through half a dozen bottles of red a night and running out. His Mrs laughed how he would be off the planet and could barely speak and I was right as rain including the next morning.
I don't know how people drink like that regularly though, it gets bloody expensive! I thought I'd get something different one night and got some bourbon.  Mate was doing all the pouring in the kitchen and was just drinking red. Got a hell of a surprise when he said I had polished off the whole bottle and it wasn't even that late.

Turps seems to make people feel better about things. Wish it worked that way for me.
Just makes me feel worse when I figure out what it cost me and I really didn't get much for it. I can't even forget my troubles in my sleep! :0(

What is "red" ?

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2018, 01:58:45 PM »
Just be sure to mark the flywheels and get them on the side they came off of.   
(aren't they different - mirror image, not identical ?)

The flywheel keyway is tapered thus you always need to keep the same side out.  If the engine is externally balanced you also need to also keep them on the same side  or else the weight will be 180 degrees out.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Viking66

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2018, 02:02:19 PM »
I just couldn't let it sit...LOL

I went at it again and re-did the weld, a lot more weld this time and I got it to go!!!  I did whack the threaded rod once everything was all tight and it made that sudden POP!  And I knew it was free.

Both of the wheels are also loose on the shaft, so I just need to get those off using my engine hoist and I can move on.  As far as remembering which is which, the one driving the Genhead has all of the paint wore off but I have a marking kit so I will number them  ;D

Now I can go to my Camp and do other things and my brain will not be wondering how to make all of this happen.

Thom

Viking66

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2018, 03:58:31 PM »
As tight as they were the wedge was not going to make it happen!!

Welding and a big threaded rod was the ticket.  I did grind down the head on the 2nd key so I could weld the rod to it.

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2018, 09:39:36 PM »
Hi guys, I recently found this comparison of Penetrating Oils on YouTube. I realize that it is late for this instance, but some of you might still find it interesting.

[urlhttps://youtu.be/xUEob2oAKVs][/url]

https://youtu.be/xUEob2oAKVs
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

Viking66

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2018, 12:14:41 AM »
I have a Harbor Freight Vulcan Welder.  It's an Inverter type and runs on 120 and 240.  I currently only have 120 in my Garage so it works well for me.

It's not the usual HF type tool, this was a well thought out welder.

Thom

Viking66

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2018, 12:56:24 AM »
What a Fun Project!!!

It's amazing how simple things are, especially once you get those big heavy Flywheels off.  I have taken off the cylinders and the pistons, and plan on removing the crankshaft and Cam tomorrow.  Any special things I need to look out for when removing those items?

Once I have it tore down I will begin working off all of that wonderful India filler...Ughhh!

Here are a couple of pics of my progress.  I know everyone knows what these engines looks like, but it's fun to share.  The Crank Journals look really good to, and do the Rod Bearings, no obvious wear marks.

Crazy question. Which side is considered the Front of the engine?  I want to know so I can understand TDC.

As Always...Thanks!!!

Thom

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2018, 07:52:44 AM »
Hi

Don't worry about which side is which....

Rotate the crank until the inlet and exhaust valves are 'rocking' i.e. one is opening as the the other is closing when you turn the crankshaft forwards and backwards 10 degrees or so.

As you are watching the valves (or, as you have the motor stripped down, the cam followers) when the inlet valve opens as the exhaust valve closes (inlet cam follower lifts as the exhaust descends) you are rotating the crank in the right direction and are on the induction stroke.

See this link for the complete four stroke cycle, its for a petrol engine, the only difference is that the ignition point is the injection point with a diesel.

http://www.mechanicalengineeringblog.com/5120-valve-timing-diagram-valve-timing-diagram-for-four-stroke-petrol-engine-valve-timing-diagram-for-four-stroke-diesel-engine/#.WtwrpOhua3A

The angles vary with the different type and model of engine, for the full story of how to put it all back together see 38 ac's fantastically detailed post on the Wall of Knowledge

After you've sorted it out get a white marker pen and mark the direction on BOTH sides of the motor, or the flywheels or you may well spend a few minuets wearing yourself out by cranking it backwards, ask me how I know..........

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Viking66

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2018, 04:12:53 PM »
I think this engine sat up a good while given the amount of corrosion I am now seeing on the inside.  That's just adds to the justification of wanting to pull it down to Parade Rest and start over.

I think the light green paint on the inside is from India, but not sure.  I want to look around real well and repaint the inside a different color anyways.

As far as the end lobe that drives the Fuel pump I just drive that out and then take out the bolt holding the main center Cam Bearing and it should all come out...correct?  Any thing special on the Crankshaft removal?

Thanks for all.

Thom

Viking66

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2018, 06:41:45 PM »
Been looking at tons of pics here on the forum and I see that red paint on the inside is really popular.

Is there a reason for this color, historical, or just better to see things in there?

Thom

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2018, 06:55:57 PM »
Glyptol or the much cheaper generic equivalent, red electrical varnish holds up very well to oil and fuel and so is the most common interior coating.  It's not a "color" choice, it's a pragmatic one.

Viking66

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2018, 11:36:55 PM »
Hey all  :D

I have the engine totally stripped down and I have also been working off all of the paint and filler off of the case.  There is lots of filler of course, and i can see some rough grinder, or sander work on the case in places, and not many big inclusions.  Overall not bad.

I am still deciding on how to go about making this engine look real good.  I could sand down the case enough to smooth it, or do the filler route.  Next up are the Flywheels for paint stripping.  My guess is there is a lot of filler on them too.

I am working up a parts list.  One of the fuel pump lobes is wrecked and so it the tapped for it, so those are added to the list.

What is the best way to determine if the TRBs are in good shape?  They appear good still, but I am no expert.

I also noted the name Standard on the bottom of the case.  I am sure this is on a lot of them, but it was cool to finally get a good look at the bottom of this beast.

Thanks for all  8)

Thom