Puppeteer

Author Topic: Finding out Original Owner  (Read 3804 times)

guldner

• View Profile
Finding out Original Owner
« on: April 09, 2018, 10:56:15 PM »
Hello Folk,

I’m the “New” owner of 23341 5-1/32.

The previous owner gave me a brief history of where this engine has been. How can I confirm acquire written confirmation of the history.......Don’t get me wrong, I have no doubt about the verbal History a little concrete (excuse the pun) verification would help. The engine was supplied to a cement works with a “twin” originally, not a twin cylinder a twin engine.

I’ve loved these Engines for years......waited far too long...sorry neighbours, when the electric thingy is coupled up and I’m BBQing. With twinkle twinkle lights....yep the Buckuk Buckuk Buckuk (350rpm)is me.

Have fun
Thank you

broncodriver99

• View Profile
Re: Finding out Original Owner
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 01:28:38 AM »
If I am reading the serial # correctly that looks to be an engine produced in 1937. As mentioned with Lister now defunct locating any records are going to be pretty tough. I seem to recall hearing about a fire in Lister's history as well where a lot of documentation was lost. Unless you have the original supplier's information and they happen to still be in business and have documentation from 80 years ago it is unlikely you will be able to track down much information about the engine.

How about a couple of pictures though? It's nice to see pics of these things turning up and being brought back.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 05:40:44 PM »
There are in fact very good records of who and where Lister engines were sold up until the late 50s production. David Edgington in England was the caretaker but unfortunately he passed a while back. I do believe you can still get records by contacting his widow Doreen.  I didnt bother to do it for you but google here name and "Lister engine dating" and you should easily get her contact information.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

guldner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 07:53:02 AM »
Thank you for your prompt responses

Yes I’ve dated the engine to 1937

And I will look up Doreen

Once again thank you for the information

guldner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 09:24:53 PM »
Hello Again,

Having tracked down a contact for Doreen I emailed her......

I am pleased to say her response was rapid and very informative

"Lister CS 23341 was Supplied to Winget Ltd of Rochester on 20-3-1937."

Clarification Rochester Kent England :) (not NY) 20-3-1937  that's not the 20th month 3rd day 1937.. ;)

Have fun, I will

Once again thank you for your replies

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 01:46:22 AM »
Well that's cool. I had no idea those records still existed. I have a couple from the early 50's I may inquire about. Would you mind sharing the contact info you have? Either here or through a PM would be great.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:56:32 AM by broncodriver99 »

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 02:36:41 AM »
US government was planning a switch to metric standards in the late 60's.  The automotive and other industries blocked the move to as being too expensive and a serious detriment to their profits.  Miles, yards, feet, inches, and what is 1/3 of 19/64th of an inch?  And the imperial volume measurements, and... it's only occasionally caused some minor mishaps such as the conversion mistake that lost us an entire mars probe.  When will the world catch up with us?! We are the beacon of something or other. 

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 02:39:31 AM »
Would have to make things easier for them as well as everyone else to get with the program.  :0)

We understand things just fine. Who's program would you be referring to? You seem to be much more concerned about what goes on in America than any American is about what goes on in Australia.  :P

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 03:53:19 AM »
US government was planning a switch to metric standards in the late 60's.  The automotive and other industries blocked the move to as being too expensive and a serious detriment to their profits.  Miles, yards, feet, inches, and what is 1/3 of 19/64th of an inch?  And the imperial volume measurements, and... it's only occasionally caused some minor mishaps such as the conversion mistake that lost us an entire mars probe.  When will the world catch up with us?! We are the beacon of something or other.

When the last of the Old Farts of my cohort die, then the US of A will be the last place in the world where anyone knows what 1/3 of 19/64ths of an inch is (2.51mm more or less).  But a whole goddamn Mars probe?  Even our government would struggle to manage a screw-up on that scale.  Do tell . . .

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 08:06:09 AM »
But a whole goddamn Mars probe?  Even our government would struggle to manage a screw-up on that scale.  Do tell . . .

Well it was a simple conversion error between our scientists who used the imperial system and the European Space Agency who operate on the French system(Metric), apparently we had a rounding error which ended up with a Mars probe that went full speed into the surface of Mars as it thought it had a little ways to go, or something like that. I don't remember the exact details. We tend to overcome and move forward so we just made another one and sent it up there. I know we now have two rovers on Mars, or 1.75 if you discount the one that only has 3 wheels currently working.  Not too bad I think.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:10:16 AM by broncodriver99 »

guldner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 12:43:14 AM »
Metric....Imperial

Somewhere in Florida there is a house....built from the plans....BUT.... The builders used imperial rules...the plans were metric......wonder how tall you need to be to climb the stairs comfortably  ::)

guldner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 12:45:53 AM »
I will ask if I can post the contacts details on this forum  re obtaining Lister dispatch details...

Have fun

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 06:05:28 PM »
Check this pout for the bit about David Niven's swimming pool, it's also mentioned in The Moon's a Balloon...........

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.