Puppeteer

Author Topic: Largest displacement listeroid single ?  (Read 7573 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Largest displacement listeroid single ?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 12:08:29 PM »
It is best for the novice to forget theoretical and go with 50% or 2 engine HP per KW.  NO legit manufacturer or assembler would  use the same rating for stand by and prime power.  Neither will they list peek and continuous ratings as the same.  There is a heck of a lot more to it than saying this engine is prim and proper for this alternator.  I always suggest alternator overkill when somebody is setting up a system. it costs little up front and very little operationally. Reason being an attentive operator can tell when he has overloaded things by listening to his prime mover. 

Back to the guy with the 16/2 pulling 10KW. yes, entirely possible. I have often talked about rack limiters and why Lister used them and the lack thereof on the Indian engines. There is not a doubt in my mind that a standard bore and stroke CS type India engine will pull more than the original rated horsepower, 6HP at 650 RPM and 8HP at 800. At 6HP a CS doesn't smoke black, not even close to it due to the rack limiter. All India engines can be operated at what the original designers called "over fuel" for starting purposes. How much extra HP does this produce? I cant say in terms measured on a dyno. However I have had both original CS 6/1 and India 6/1 clones belted up to the same loads and the India engine definitely has a HP advantage.  His 16/2 could very well be producing 18HP or more and darn well able to pull 10K
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 12:11:16 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 06:02:43 PM »
Indian stated HP Limits vs Actual....

One thing occurred to me is that the key stress components on the Indian engines may be a limiting factor.
They seem to have soft crankshafts. I wonder if the con rods and wrist pins are of true Lister quality and strength?
Perhaps the max HP rating of Indian machines is more related to metallurgy? Even if they are not bowing black smoke, they may still be close to disintegration  :o
LOL
Just a thought.

Veggie

PS: Don't forget to factor in altitude. I live at 3300 ft elevation and engines must be de-rated by 10% here.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 04:03:09 PM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 06:27:52 PM »
Good point, Veggie. I'm at 5600ft elevation and 25% derating is needed here.  Automatic chokes on small engines don't work well here, either.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 02:07:22 PM »
If you extrapolate via displacement  . A naturally aspirated diesel makes 1/4HP per cubic inch at 1800rpm.