Puppeteer

Author Topic: Diesel fuel and Nat. Gas  (Read 8061 times)

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
Diesel fuel and Nat. Gas
« on: April 26, 2009, 02:33:53 AM »
Hi Guys,

Has anyone had any experience with feeding small amounts of natural gas into the air inlet piping?
It's becoming quite popular with diesel truck customizers. Some truck tuners are buying kits specifically for this.
Reason I ask is that I have a natural gas line in my garage that has a plugged tee right beside my engine.
It would not be much work to add a 4oz. regulator and the appropriate solenoid, orifice, nozzle etc... to feed a regulated amount into the air inlet.

Apparently, once balanced, a significant reduction in liquid fuel can be achieved (like 30% reduction).
I suppose it could also be done with WVO as the liquid fuel.

Can anyone share their experiment outcome or offer any sound advise for setting up such a project?

Cost/BTU aside, it's all about having one more fuel supply on top of the WVO, WMO, Dino-Deisel, Biodiesel, SVO, ....etc.

cheers,
Veggie
GM90 engines, Changfa's, Voltmaster Generators, Pellet Mills - www.energymachines.ca

piperpilot3tk

• View Profile
Re: Diesel fuel and Nat. Gas
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 02:48:36 AM »
Search "listeroid" on youtube.  There is a video showing a natural gas injection set-up on a Metro 6/1

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 02:54:18 AM »
This fellow did it with a 1115 Changfa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow99eqjNH1A&feature=related

I would like to learn a bit more about all the necessary components for a safe application.
Eg: a normally closed gas solenoid valve that shuts if the engine stops. ;)

Veggie
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 03:03:06 AM by Veggiefuel »
GM90 engines, Changfa's, Voltmaster Generators, Pellet Mills - www.energymachines.ca

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 11:15:26 AM »
There types of car LPG conversion systems here in the UK that are configured for use on Diesels. The system mixes LPG with diesel before injection. The claims are that it reduces emissions , increases power and reduces oil contamination.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 05:37:45 PM »
here is a link to my metro running natural gas  and diesel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwPPui8Fyi0

Veggiefuel

• Energy Machines Ltd.
    • View Profile
    • Energy Machines Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 03:26:32 AM »

carlb23,

That's a great setup you have.
Since you posted that video, have you made any changes?
Anything that you would do differently?

Veggie

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 09:39:02 PM »
I haven't made any changes since i shot the video.  I use a small needle valve to adjust the natural gas flow so that the rack is almost completely closed with a 1500 watt load which is about a normal load with just the regular stuff running in the house.  Since this is a backup generator we don't have any large loads to contend with. If the load increases the rack just opens but the natural gas does not increase.  If I had the time I might have the natural gas increase with the load but that would be a lot of work for very little return in my case. 

If you are going to run on city supplied natural gas daily then I would get a small propane carburetor attach it to the intake and lock the rack to keep the engine just above idle and let the governor adjust the flow of the natural gas.

You should be able to find a small natural gas carb on ebay pretty cheap.

Carl