Puppeteer

Author Topic: A few interesting things I found.  (Read 1936 times)

guest22972

A few interesting things I found.
« on: March 08, 2018, 01:10:25 PM »

Browsing banggood today and found some items I thought were interesting.

Carburettor for a generator that is dual fuel and set up for LPG.
Was it you Bruce who did a gas conversion on your neighbours Genset?

https://www.banggood.com/Carburetor-Carb-For-Water-Pump-Generator-Engine-170F-GX200-Dual-Fuel-p-1120726.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Old fashioned Dynamo Lights for a push bike.  Got one of these for a present and as so excited... even though I never rode at night.  Excited till I realised how much harder the thing made the bike to push that was. there was some increased resistance with teh generator engaged but the light turned off but Boy when you turned it on.... was like having a hand brake for going down hills!

https://www.banggood.com/6V-3W-Halogen-Bulb-Motorized-Friction-Generator-Dynamo-Head-Taillight-w-Acessories-p-1174414.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

This one I have never seen before. It's a hand cranked, multi voltage 20W generator with power outputs and USB sockets.
they say you can plug your phone in and charge it while cranking but no matter how much power that thing puts out, phone will only charge so quick and that's going to be a LOT of cranking.
It does look very easy to attach something to the shaft however like a wind turbine or Microhydro to do the cranking for you. maybe fit it to the axle of a cart and have a horse drag it round to charge a battery ... or put the phone on the cart!

https://www.banggood.com/Outdoor-20W-Multifunction-Portable-Manual-Crank-Generator-Emergency-Survival-Power-Supply-p-1225105.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

Amazing the gadgets they make now.

I was looking for a simple electronic adjustable pressure switch. Been over to a mates place last couple of days trying to sort out his pool pumps ( what is it with my mates and their pools lately??)
Old pump had a leaking seal for a long time and I suspect greatly aided by galvanic action, 1/4 of the cast motor body that had been sitting in the puddle had dissolved away. Didn't see how bad it was till I took the pump apart and went to pick the motor up and stuck my fingers right through it.
Moved the other pump from the solar so he'd have a clean rather than green pool if not a heated one till I could look for another pump. Was really slow to prime and had to give it a hand but it came up.

I noticed a LOT of bubbles coming back in the return water and asked mate about it and he said it had been like that since they got the house 3 years ago.  I suspected a crack in the pipes bleeding air. Mentioned that to him but i think it was a case of the old deny what you don't want to deal with.

Rings me today saying pump i moved from the solar has stopped pumping and he can't get it to re prime.  He thinks it's leaking now.
I'm wondering if the thing lost prime and ran for hours sans water destroying the seal and leaking air to the point it won't pump?
Wondering if there is an airleak in the pipe under draw and this caused the pump to loose prime and melt the seal.

I found him a couple of new pumps he's going to get tomorrow but I was looking for the pressure switch so I could put it on the discharge pipe so if the thing did loose prime, it would run for so long to allow for start up then shut down if there was no water pressure.
I'd like to put something in place with the new pump so if there is an airleak, it won't take the new pumps out as well. Given the electronic things available today, I thought someone would be doing a board like that but apparently not.

I'm sure there is lots of weird, wacky and brilliant stuff out there though!

oldgoat

• View Profile
Re: A few interesting things I found.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 01:32:04 PM »
Glort look on Ebay for water flow switch From about $10

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A few interesting things I found.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 01:29:38 AM »
Unlike what I read or was lead to understand, they have NOT made a standard for these things.

The beauty of standards are.... there's so many to choose from!

https://xkcd.com/927/

I'd have thought most Aussie pipe fittings were either BSP, or NPT. Unless you went metric?
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.