Author Topic: Cheap Lister Generators UK based  (Read 12523 times)

guest23837

guest23837

Re: Cheap Lister Generators UK based
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 12:15:39 AM »
My budget only stretches to ones that need fettled glort not a real one. Theyre a good deal

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 12:28:29 AM »
Wow. They need to cover that open exhaust before the rain gets in, I know how wet it can be in Ireland.
Why would anyone have ten of these and never use any of them, ex military maybe?
Beginning to wish I hadn`t left the UK for Australia.
Bob

guest23837

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 08:52:34 AM »
Wow. They need to cover that open exhaust before the rain gets in, I know how wet it can be in Ireland.
Why would anyone have ten of these and never use any of them, ex military maybe?
Beginning to wish I hadn`t left the UK for Australia.
Bob
Ad says Ex PSNI thats the police service of northern Ireland. They probably upgradeed to self starting high revving more mowerful machines

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 03:16:46 PM »
Would so ever like to obtain a real Petter PH2 or PJ2 instead of a clone . Only way to obtain them in Ontario is to have one shipped in from the UK.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 05:35:29 PM »
Would so ever like to obtain a real Petter PH2 or PJ2 instead of a clone . Only way to obtain them in Ontario is to have one shipped in from the UK.

I just purchased this PJ2 the serial number 7399 says it was built in early 1968 its the real deal. The engine is coupled to a 15KW Stamford head.

Paid $1300.00 FOB Ontario the previous owner is shipping it over to Manitoba on a Cattle truck that makes routine trips. Expect delivery sometime on the upcoming week.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 05:42:55 PM by snowman18 »

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 04:24:52 AM »

Some people have all the luck!
Looks like a great unit. I am very envious.

We'll see about the luck, I did an Interact e-transfer this morning for half the purchase price which has yet to be acknowledged.

The balance to be paid on delivery.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 06:07:14 AM »
Here's a SR2 that I had purchased a year ago it has a start o matic generator head.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 02:46:19 PM »

Do you have the SOM still or was there something wrong with that which wasn't worth going on with?
Two nice Gennys like that isn't fair for one man to have all to himself!   :0)

If your asking about the LD2 marine, the bottom of the engine block had been previously damaged a network of brazing to repair the cracks then smeared with a layer of epoxy to seal the leaks.

I would never purchase a another seized engine, if your not able to rotate the crankshaft you'll never get the connecting rods into a position to access all the con rod nuts.

The engine was to far gone to restore.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 04:41:30 PM »

I would never purchase a another seized engine, if your not able to rotate the crankshaft you'll never get the connecting rods into a position to access all the con rod nuts.

Oh god, tell me about it.... I've got a seized Jaguar V12 here, it's an absolute bear. And yes, only about 60% of the conrod nuts are accessible, and some of those can't be fully removed even if they could be loosened! I've got an old bathtub down at the workshop, one of these days I need to fill it with diesel and soak the block in it for a few days, in the hope that a soak + a few wallops with a hammer will free it up. Fortunately, I don't need the engine - just the heads, which came off after a brief fight (I won). But if I can disassemble it without breaking/bending anything, it'll be a useful experimental engine (I want to replace the cast iron liners with Nikasil coated aluminium ones - should be a considerable weight saving, and will reduce differential expansion problems). But that's a story for a day far in the future...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 08:29:02 PM »

Oh god, tell me about it.... I've got a seized Jaguar V12 here, it's an absolute bear. And yes, only about 60% of the conrod nuts are accessible, and some of those can't be fully removed even if they could be loosened! I've got an old bathtub down at the workshop, one of these days I need to fill it with diesel and soak the block in it for a few days, in the hope that a soak + a few wallops with a hammer will free it up. Fortunately, I don't need the engine - just the heads, which came off after a brief fight (I won). But if I can disassemble it without breaking/bending anything, it'll be a useful experimental engine (I want to replace the cast iron liners with Nikasil coated aluminium ones - should be a considerable weight saving, and will reduce differential expansion problems). But that's a story for a day far in the future...

Once had a V4 with one seized piston that prevented full access to the con rod nuts, I cut a plate out of .500" steel then drilled in the holes to simulate the cylinder head.

Installed a grease zerk then using a grease gun was able to press the piston into a new position.

On another V4 had several pistons seized, I drilled these full of holes to weaken them to the point they could be smashed into pieces to fall into the crankcase.

Recently acquired another V4 Wisconsin three out of four exhaust valves stuck open, after removing the cylinder heads I heated the valves just enough to cause some expansion, then as they were cooling down added penetrating oil. that would be sucked down into the guides.

I would let the oil do its work for a few hours sometimes overnight then repeat the procedure, after a few days the valves were freed up.

The shop manual says to torque the head bolts to 25 ft pounds then repeat after running the engine, well this engine is instead going into storage and will not be run before hand.

I wanted to install all the shrouds (tin) that keep the engine cooled while running, again I used a hand held torch to heat the aluminum heads then after they cooled down re-torqued the head bolts.

I had never done this procedure before and was surprised that each head bolts being torqued actually moved another 1/8 of a turn.

Oh I reused the head gaskets, cleaned them up with sandpaper then gave then a coat of silver spray paint.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 06:17:10 PM »
Another trick I've used to free up stuck parts, a pneumatic hammer with a broken chisel ground flat on the end then placed against a block of brass. The vibrations help to get the penetrating oil into places it would otherwise have not reached.

Often of a tractor of vehicle with a standard transmission has sat for a very long time the clutch disk will rust and stick to the pressure plate and flywheel surfaced.

Easy fix have someone depress the clutch pedal then use that blunt chisel against that brass placed against the flywheel rim. Turn the flywheel a quarter turn and repeat.

Once the disk is free start the engine, engage the transmission and gently slip the clutch for a few seconds to burnish the rust off of the mating surfaced.

The Dodge K cars you can access the flywheel rim through the hole provided for timing the engine.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 11:26:47 PM »

Often of a tractor of vehicle with a standard transmission has sat for a very long time the clutch disk will rust and stick to the pressure plate and flywheel surfaced.

Easy fix have someone depress the clutch pedal then use that blunt chisel against that brass placed against the flywheel rim. Turn the flywheel a quarter turn and repeat.

I have an old Bedford coach (VAM chassis, Plaxton bodied) which gets laid up for long periods & usually suffers that problem. We have a far more agricultural solution..... Engage 1st gear. Open barn doors. Start engine and accelerate. Jump on clutch and brake simultaneously. Frees it right up  ;D
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 09:21:08 AM »
That is an invitation for disaster there's a good possibility those springs in the clutch disk will break if they have not already done so.

If getting a compressor or air to the vehicle needing a disk freed up you can always use a 20 pound cylinder of LPG plumbed with an air line to operate your pneumatic hammer.

I've even used LPG as a propellant to spray paint with, rattle cans you purchase from the hardware and auto parts store are all mostly using propane as a replacement to the banned CFC's.

Years ago when I was hauling scrap cars with a propane fueled truck I had installed a valve on the vapor port on the LPG tank that I used on my impact to remove tires from the junkers.

I have an old Bedford coach (VAM chassis, Plaxton bodied) which gets laid up for long periods & usually suffers that problem. We have a far more agricultural solution..... Engage 1st gear. Open barn doors. Start engine and accelerate. Jump on clutch and brake simultaneously. Frees it right up  ;D

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 02:25:40 AM by snowman18 »

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 12:35:52 AM »
Here's a SR2 that I had purchased a year ago it has a start o matic generator head.

Cattle truck was a no show, departing this evening for the fourteen hour road trip hopefully I have a generator to load when I arrive.