Author Topic: New Original Lister CS Crankshaft Main Bearing and Big End Bearing  (Read 5164 times)

broncodriver99

• View Profile
I am looking for 1 NOS Original Lister crankshaft main bearing for a CS. I have 1 but need a second for a pair. I would also be interested in an original STD. big end con rod bearing.

Please shoot me a PM if you have something you are willing to part with. Shipping from UK/EU/AU/NZ/CA or just about anywhere else is acceptable for the right parts. Thank You.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: New Original Lister CS Crankshaft Main Bearing and Big End Bearing
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 09:25:57 PM »
Original big end bearing available here but not cheap http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Lister-Petter-Parts?_dmd=2&_nkw=big+end+bearing

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 03:11:12 AM »
Note that Sleeman is sourcing a lot of current parts supplies from India. So, it is no longer a clear-cut parts differentiation coming from something packaged in the Lister/Petter colors. I am sure they wish to hold up a similar quality standard, but just a heads-up. New Original does not mean the same thing it used to... better to specify New Old Stock and you might be getting the legacy parts.

By the way, India has long been manufacturing and exporting excellent engine bearings for the multi-national suppliers - major name brands that you would be familiar with. Very few quality issues when it comes to bearings.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 03:30:37 AM »
Thanks ajaffa1. I contacted them a couple of months ago about that ad and was told they only had non-original bearings left.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 03:42:07 AM »
Thanks Gary. Understood. Been down that road.  >:(

I have been my rounds with Sleeman. Had the pleasure of paying L/P prices for what appeared and were pictured to be NOS parts only to have mediocre quality Indian parts show up in shiny new L/P bags. They did have a couple of NOS parts that I needed. Let's just say the sting I got from the Indian parts is enough that I won't be doing business with them again.

I do have a set of Indian main bearings that i picked up from you a while back on the shelf.

I happened across one NOS main bushing at another UK Lister dealer, the last he had, it's in a Hawker-Siddeley Lister box if that tells how long it has been sitting on a shelf. Looking for a matching part.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 04:09:00 AM by broncodriver99 »

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 03:44:29 AM »
double post...

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 03:46:00 AM »
Doh, triple post. What tha?

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 01:52:07 PM »
I am looking for 1 NOS Original Lister crankshaft main bearing for a CS. I would also be interested in an original STD. big end con rod bearing.

I have available a genuine NOS main bearing bush.

However be aware there are 3 versions of this item: pilot bored with a finishing allowance once pressed into the housing, finish bored (with an internal radius where the thrust face meets the bore), and finish bored (with an internal chamfer where the thrust face meets the bore).

I have available the third option, these were the later bearings and supposedly are of a higher grade white metal.

May also have a STD big end shell bearings as genuine NOS, but need to know if this is for a 6/1 or 8/1 engine as there are differences in the top shell bearing material.

Shipment will be from the UK.

Send me a PM if this sounds like an interesting proposal.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 02:04:24 PM »
I am looking for 1 NOS Original Lister crankshaft main bearing for a CS. I would also be interested in an original STD. big end con rod bearing.

I have available a genuine NOS main bearing bush.

However be aware there are 3 versions of this item: pilot bored with a finishing allowance once pressed into the housing, finish bored (with an internal radius where the thrust face meets the bore), and finish bored (with an internal chamfer where the thrust face meets the bore).

I have available the third option, these were the later bearings and supposedly are of a higher grade white metal.

May also have a STD big end shell bearings as genuine NOS, but need to know if this is for a 6/1 or 8/1 engine as there are differences in the top shell bearing material.

Shipment will be from the UK.

Send me a PM if this sounds like an interesting proposal.

I am interested. Interesting about the 3 options on the main bush. I believe the one I have has the chamfer where the thrust meets the bore. I will pull it out and inspect it and take a few pictures.

The big end bearing is for a 6/1 SOM which I believe runs the HD or bronze backed bearings the same as the 8/1.

I will shoot you a PM. Thank You.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 02:44:11 PM »
I believe that the 8/1 type bronze backed upper was a recommended upgrade for the heavy flywheel 6/1, but  not factory equipment? But either way you are correct in that the bronze backed upper is the one that should be used.  I would not  pull the other type out or service  just to change it over but would certainly use a bronze backed upper in a heavy flywheel engine IF I had one available.

Sorry to hear that you have had issues with Indian bearings. My experience has been that India bearings and rings are very dependable parts. As Gary said unless purchased old stock any bearing or ring you buy for any engine these days is likely produced in India,, at least if purchased in this country.

Sleeman  claims to spec superior stuff but I haven't seen any evidence of it. What I have layed my eyes on is same ole India  parts taken out of the brown paper wrap and placed in a purdy box,,,,with a huge price tag.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:52:33 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 03:38:17 PM »
/\ /\ Will be replying to your PM shortly.

Regarding the bronze backed big end shells, and from a genuine Lister CS spares perspective this is a bit of a red herring that keeps getting talked about.

In my time I have been inside a number of original CS engines, and only ever seen Bronze backed white metal big ends on CS 3/1 and early 5/1 and 10/2 engines, all with the 2.250 " diameter big end journal.

When considering the 6/1 and 8/1 engines, OEM bearings were always steel backed and lined with bearing material. The only difference between 6/1 and 8/1 the big end shells is the different bearing material used on the top portion of the shell bearing.

6/1 uses white metal.

8/1 uses a much softer lead Indium alloy, which is easily marked with a finger nail.

I am aware however that bronze backed big end shell bearings are available from India, though I fail to see any major advantage they offer.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 05:09:48 PM »
I believe that the 8/1 type bronze backed upper was a recommended upgrade for the heavy flywheel 6/1, but  not factory equipment? But either way you are correct in that the bronze backed upper is the one that should be used.  I would not  pull the other type out or service  just to change it over but would certainly use a bronze backed upper in a heavy flywheel engine IF I had one available.

Sorry to hear that you have had issues with Indian bearings. My experience has been that India bearings and rings are very dependable parts. As Gary said unless purchased old stock any bearing or ring you buy for any engine these days is likely produced in India,, at least if purchased in this country.

Sleeman  claims to spec superior stuff but I haven't seen any evidence of it. What I have layed my eyes on is same ole India  parts taken out of the brown paper wrap and placed in a purdy box,,,,with a huge price tag.

Thanks Butch. I am going to pull the part numbers from the shells I removed. I noticed the construction and numbers are different between upper and lower halves with the upper shell having the later Lister part number that seems to be referred to as HD or the SOM and 8-1/16-2 upper shell.

I haven't had any issues with the Indian bearings. I haven't run any though. I have a set of Indian main and big end bearings that I picked up from Gary and they look of sufficient quality that I wouldn't have any issue running them. The only thing I have noticed is that the radius where the thrust surface meets the bore differs from the radius on an original Lister crankshaft. The Indian mains have a smaller radius than that on the original crank which may require some fitting. I have mocked them up on my old crankshaft and other than the radius they appear to fit quite well.

I too find that the "superior spec" that is being touted by Sleeman is unfounded. Some of the parts I received from them were truly NOS and of high quality English production as one would expect. Some of them were indeed brown paper bag Indian parts that had been freshly placed in L/P bags and tags with the L/P book pricing.  :o
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:19:10 PM by broncodriver99 »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 06:18:16 PM »
My sample is not really that large maybe a dozen CS types. All of them were sold new here, or Canada. All had been rode hard and put away wet by the Amish.  All of them had been gone through at least once possibly numerous times. It is possible, more likely probable that the bearings were once after marketed and sourced from an American company. I know that Perfect Circle did sell rings sets and Hastings still does sell the ring sets. Anyhow point being I have never laid my fingers on an undinked with CS type. The H-D uppers I had seen had a gold tint to the backing I assume Bronze or bronze alloy.  The Amish knew of a  different upper bearing for the heavy flywheel engines which is how I found out about them but offered no other insight.  Suffering from curiosity I guess but I never tried to figure out who made them or where they came from.

Back to the India supplied bearings I get very, very  little feedback on what leaves the shop. I must assume its either running great, or so poorly that they would not let me touch it again,, hopefully the former ;D  The India bearings seem to be doing just fine.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 08:33:10 PM »
Roughly 12 years ago some active forum members were having spalling of the upper half shell of connecting rod bearing.  It would appear in just a couple hundred hours.  I went through about 4 sets of bearing shells at that time because of sand damage and they all had this spalling issue. They were all sourced through a Rajkot supplier and may have been all from the same lot.  When I replaced them with solid upper bearing shells ordered specially by a former Canadian Listeroid supplier and a lovely hollow dipper made by XYZer, and the problem went away completely.  But in retrospect, the problem may have been just a bad lot of bearings.

It's good to read that this is not the rule and that bearings sourced through Rajkot are generally reliable.