Author Topic: Further evidence of the stupidity of those in charge  (Read 11342 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Further evidence of the stupidity of those in charge
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 06:24:41 AM »
Hey Glort, if you have a spare hour or so watch this, it`ll scare the sh1t out of you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOykY2SMbZ0

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 04:42:09 PM »
I concur Bob, both on nuclear power operations safety, waste disposal, true cost of power produced and the obvious need to immediately begin reducing human population if we are to keep some quality of life on this planet for future generations.  Alas, humans don't like coping with collective type issues or beyond their own immediate, puny lifespan. 

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 05:50:27 PM »
I try and keep in mind that the single most powerful population control, besides the government of China, is personal wealth.  As the wealth of the people of a nation rises the birth rate falls. 

As for the big die off that's coming?  Who knows?

Oh yeah.  Folks that are pro atomic power just don't understand the human population or how long 20,000 years is.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 07:42:03 PM »
I just finished the YouTube article.  Really an eye opener.  Well worth the watch.

When we're all millionaires we will have cured the problem.  It's simple math.

Thanks for the link.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 09:33:00 PM »
Thanks Bob for that link. I just watched Prof. Bartlet's presentation myself.  He did a great job.  We are living in a Ponzi scheme promotion.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2018, 10:20:56 PM »
Thanks guys, its a pretty impressive lecture. Highlights a lot of the problems we are facing, sadly it doesn`t offer any solutions.

I hope that by alerting people to the reality of what is going on some of us will be prepared.

Perhaps Elon Musk isn`t crazy wanting to go and live on mars.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 10:57:47 AM »
Yes, I agree that Elon Musk is all mouth and trousers however I find it alarming that so many billionaires are researching ways to get off this planet, rather than spending their money on trying to protect it. Do they know something we don`t?
Bob

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 05:31:12 PM »
I'm thinking Elon or his his buds anyway just haven't seen the rule of 70.  The first step, in most programs, to work or cure a problem is to recognize it and say "Hello, my name is Casey.  I abuse the doubling of stuff and refuse to change my ways!" 

The common second step is to blame others and turn the thermostat up to 74.

Elon and Zuckerburg have enough math to understand this principle completely.  And Bill too.  Interesting the big swingers in pop culture all started with studies in mathematics.  Plastics of the 21st century.

I noticed that the rule of halving wasn't discussed. 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2018, 06:20:17 PM »
Ha, yes, all we need is a modest 3% reduction in population every year.  Quite politically palatable.  ;)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2018, 10:02:01 PM »
If you accept that people only live to a maximum of 100 years, then it stands to reason that for a stable population 1% must die every year, matched by reproduction also at 1%.
Anything that increases mortality or decreases fertility would have a positive effect. Medicine is bad, contraception is good. The jury is still out on same sex marriage.
Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 03:18:12 AM »
I guess we are both cruel bastards then. I completely agree that the money that has been pumped into these organisations has failed to alleviate the problem, indeed you could argue that it has made the problem worse.

I object very strongly to tax payer funded overseas aid when we still have so many problems of our own. Charity begins at home.

As for being subjected to harrowing pictures of starving children on the TV, while I`m trying to  eat my dinner, makes me furious. If these charities spent less on administration and more on service provision I might begin to take them seriously.

As for the corruption of the governments in famine hit regions it beggars belief. I remember the Live Aid concerts to feed the starving in Ethiopia. They shipped millions of tons of grain there to feed people, suddenly the cheapest place to buy grain on the world market was Ethiopia. No doubt a lot of corrupt port officials made a killing. I believe one of the biggest buyers was McDonalds.

F**king speechless,
Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 11:39:31 PM »
Hey Glort, quality rant. I`m with you about giving money rather than genuine aid. Giving money is easy: first you set up an appeal fund, second you deduct 70% of the donated funds for administration, third you transfer the remaining balance to some corrupt official in the effected area. All of this can be done at a computer console in an air conditioned office. No effort or skills required.

Sending genuine aid would require multilingual people skilled in purchasing, shipping and distribution. Far too difficult!
Please don`t misunderstand me there are some very good organisations doing this sort of work, Medicine sans frontier and the Fred Hollows foundation spring immediately to mind. I would have added Oxfam to that list but recent revelations about sexual exploitation by aid workers in effected areas make my blood boil.

Many years ago, while living in the UK, I had some dealings with the Prince of Wales Trust, a charitable organisation set up to provide training and opportunities for disadvantage young people. A very worthy cause you might think. I was invited to a meeting at their headquarters, on arriving I discovered a row of 20 or more shiny new Mercedes Benz motor cars in the car park. No doubt one for every executive on the board. I very quickly found better things to do with my time.

There are some very well meaning and committed people out there who devote their time and energy to helping others. The problem, as usual, is that the management/executive classes see these organisations as a career opportunity with deep pockets. They exploit this to benefit themselves rather than the poor sods they are supposed to be helping.

Still F**king speechless.
Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 02:18:24 AM »
What a shame that some a**hole always has to spoil things, No doubt he got a promotion and pay rise as a reward.
Reminds me of my time in the military where the only way to get rid of a useless individual was to promote them. You would then be over quota on that particular rank and they would be posted elsewhere.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2018, 05:05:32 PM »
Yes to you very hard and very very bad asses of the world.  Keep a large segment of the population poor and ignorant.  It's the only moral or smart thing to do with them all.  They will continue to over populate and live in shit holes (just quoting the head screwball).

We will be able to set around on our self-righteous pompous parts and feel superior.  Yes, your assessments are valid and words with which to manage the universe.

Rant on my privileged brothers and sisters.  Rant on!
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2018, 09:40:41 PM »
Not interested in going into politics glort? You'd have my vote. You're not alone in your thinking fellas.
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.