Puppeteer

Author Topic: A lesson for us all  (Read 3917 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
A lesson for us all
« on: February 26, 2018, 09:47:19 PM »
This is a link to a newspaper article about one of our own who tragically died doing what he loved http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5437051/Lincolnshire-man-dies-accident-Heckington-windmill.html

Condolences to his family and friends
Bob Gorringe

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: A lesson for us all
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 04:49:44 AM »
The lesson being ??     something happened with clothing, so if we were nudists, we're safe ?

Knowing if it snagged on the keyway at the end of the crankshaft, or the gib key, or sucked into the belt drive ?

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 06:43:00 AM »
Well said glort, I nearly died 15 months ago in a car accident that had nothing to do with me. The driver behind me lost consciousness at the wheel. Some times sh1t just happens.
The tragedy of the accident in the news paper is that we have lost another fine engineer with a passion for old machinery. No one sadly is training any replacements these days so we are becoming an extinct species.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 10:39:05 AM »
You are right, when I left the UK to come to Australia, a plumber in London could expect an annual income of $250k, it`s probably more now. Same sort of money a GP would earn.
As for other peoples sex lives, I have too many problems of my own to worry about what others are getting up to. My brother in law is gay, hope he finds someone that makes him happy. Hope he doesn`t marry them and have to go through the pain of divorce.
It does seem to be the case that the income some people generate is inversely proportional to their ability to do anything useful, how did we ever let it come to this?
Not feeling like much of a winner at the moment, more like a dinosaur.
Bob

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 02:12:00 PM »
I have been trying to train new guys into the technical side of my business for the past 20 years... so far, mostly a bust. Best luck I've had so far has been middle-aged guys in their 50's, but more of them have health issues or have passed away from same. I wonder if there will be any takers for my business when I am forced to walk away from it.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 05:56:36 PM »
Huh?

Are you guyz kidding?

These open flywheel engines are injury and death traps waiting to snap. 

Let's not cross over the bridge of good sense and look back on it as stupid or intrusive.

We also know there are going to be tragedies no matter how little line crowding or grab-ass goes on.  I'm taking the story as "Be careful, shit happens even if you don't stand on the railroad tracks blindfolded.  Bravado or stupid behavior doesn't protect you from anything."

There's always a chance he had a heart attack or stroke and fell into the machine.  Incidentally, my brother-in-law did fall in the shower this last August, broke his neck and was dead ten days later.  He had survived two multiple by-passes, was obese and know to drown his sorrows of poor health.  He and I thought his death modus operandi almost too funny especially when he'd laugh and the garden hose of pain medications couldn't stop the jolts of eye popping agony.  He used to laugh at my exercising and closely watched diet saying that I would meet my maker when the vegetable cart fell on me.  Dave was 74 and pulled his own plug.  And no I didn't mention to him that if he wasn't obese and thought exercise was watching two football games at the same time he most likely would have had a broken wrist.

Most safety rules are valid and let's not judge them all by the 14 inch toilet seat height debate.  Whew, all this keyboarding.  I sure hope all my equipment is bonded to earth.

Be careful out there.

Cheers,
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 08:12:08 PM »
It's easy to get distracted and have a Sr. moment, and I make a special effort around my open flywheels and belts with heavy flywheels. 

About 35000 (thanks Casey- the other figure was accidents not deaths), US deaths per year by car accidents and 250,000 US deaths per year by medical malpractice should help us keep perspective.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:33:41 AM by BruceM »

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 10:15:43 PM »
Look out.  I'm sure there's more like 40,000 automobile related deaths.  About the same as firearms.  There are more sepsis deaths via hospitals than both automobiles and fire arms put together.  It's just one of the reasons US health care costs are so crazy when compared to the rest of the modern world.  And being about 25th in lifelong mortality in spite of being by far the most expensive place to be sick anywhere.

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 02:26:52 AM »
If there was ever any doubt about how stupid some people are just check out the Darwin awards. One guy decided he didn`t want to run his top loading washing machine twice. He overloaded it and then jump and down on top of it. Sadly his feet got tangled in the clothes. He apparently went through the entire wash cycle before beating his brains out against the wall when it went into spin cycle.
You can`t legislate against stupidity, only a stupid person would think they could. Tells me everything I need to know about our leaders.
Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 03:43:13 AM »
Thanks Casey, I goofed on the stats and I did edit my post to show the US average of 35000 deaths/year in cars. 

I think I copied the number of accidents by mistake. 

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 04:02:38 AM »
Hey glort, the only way your ever going to get a pay out from an insurance company is if you`re a shareholder. If like me you buy insurance to protect yourself and your property, the only way to get a pay out is to sue them. These bastards know that if you are making a claim you are probably broke and can`t afford a lawyer. I still haven't had a cent after 15 months.
Bob

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 06:31:45 AM »
Had to laugh when I read Glort's comment about Uganda.  I worked there, on an oil rig, for about a year and at one stage the cellphone company wanted to put up a tower in one of our accommodation bases.  They spent a week or so casting a huge plinth then started erecting the steel sections.  As soon as they got the first level up, about 5m, and started on the next layer, the rig safety officer went ape about lack of safety gear.  These guys worked in short pants and T shirts (rags), no shoes, gloves, nada.  Oil company was British and even though the actual rig was about 20Km's away, he made a huge fuss about the fact that he's the 'man".  Issued harnesses, hard hats, safety boots to the guys who just could not work in them.  After one morning's work of no progress, they all went on strike and refused to work.  End result, the cell company built a new plinth just outside the camp perimeter, and moved the tower there. Safety officer was earning $900 per day, Ugandans maybe about $3.  Safety officer was a fat turd, who wouldn't be able to climb a 6ft step ladder, Ugandans were fit young lads who could run up a 50m tower with one hand tied behind there backs.  They had, at this stage already erected at least 50 towers around the country with no safety gear.  They didn't even use a crane for lifting the steel sections.  What they did was lash a telephone pole to the highest layer, then hoist the next layer up with a block and tackle.  As they advanced up they just moved the telephone up with them.  Not a single accident.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 07:31:11 AM »
Every health and safety officer I have ever met has that same attitude, a misguided belief that rules, regulations and paperwork are going to keep people safe. What a crock of sh1t. The only way for people to stay safe is through appropriate training and experience. Perhaps if we let our kids climb trees and learn from their experiences they would be able to make sensible risk assessments.
Sadly the nanny state mentality has prevailed and kids now live in a virtual prison cell free from risk, experiences and exercise. We pacify them with internet access and an unlimited supply of junk food. No wonder then that when they finally reach maturity they are fat, useless and depressed. An adulthood controlled with anti depressants followed by a premature death from heart disease or diabetes.
I`d employ the Ugandan guys over a spoiled westerner any day and despite the dangers they face daily I doubt any of them are taking stress leave or anti depressants.
Bob

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 04:20:21 PM »
Hi Bruce,

I wouldn't have noticed but I just happen to find the stats for car deaths and gun deaths to be really close and just plain interesting. 

Casey 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 02:08:50 PM »
In the good old days of open flat belts , open line shafts and unguarded machinery . Such incidents , not I did not say accident . These injuries , maiming and deaths were a common and accepted events.