Puppeteer

Author Topic: Anyone for a lister M  (Read 3750 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Anyone for a lister M
« on: February 15, 2018, 09:55:24 PM »
Found this on gumtree https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gnowangerup/collectables/lister-5-hp-stationary-engine-/1175303073

Think it`s  Lister M kero engine. Shame it`s become a garden ornament.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Anyone for a lister M
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 02:01:54 AM »
Hey Glort, I don`t know what size the crankshaft is on one of these. The main bearing housings look to have vertical nuts and bolt suggesting a split housing, how would that work?

Bob

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 07:28:24 PM »
Think it`s  Lister M kero engine.

Correct!, shame there is not a view from the other side showing the vaporiser. As it is well worth the asking price for the vaporiser alone, shame the exhaust is vertical thus quite possibly filling the cylinder with water. Which may explain why the cylinder head nuts are not present.

Judging by that greaser on the camshaft bearing and what looks like a drain cock on the cylinder block, its an early version.

The main bearing housings look to have vertical nuts and bolt suggesting a split housing, how would that work?

Correct again, this was how all the early Lister engines were. Until Listers realised they could make cost savings by having a bush bearing and a single main bearing housing.

One of the legacies of this decision is that Lister CS engines cannot be reground undersize on the main bearing diameters (centre main bearings can on a twin cylinder, thanks to the Indians making undersize centre bearing shells).

I'd sure there would be enough meat in the centres to either have the things bored to suit or sleeved to take them down if needed but probably unlikely.

Would need boring, as the Lister M type has smaller main bearing diameters. But it would be a shame to break up what is now a rare Lister engine which is near complete, just for the flywheels

I am always surprised at the prices people pay for them.

As the seller states it to be complete bar the magneto. So in this case for those in the know the money is in the vaporiser, if its the early vaporiser version then more so, complete with carburettors even more so. As with these items plus the brass engine plate (possibly the cylinder head as well for the lower compression ratio needed for running on kerosene) you could convert a an L type engine in a M type, and no one would know any different :o.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 09:05:36 PM »
Thanks Listard-JP2, I might contact the seller and ask for photos of the other side. I don`t need another engine at the moment. I`m struggling to rebuild my CS due to heath problems. It`s also the other side of the country so it would take nearly a week to drive there and back.
Do these run straight kero or are they started on petrol and then switched over? Had an old wartime Dexter tractor that had twin fuel tanks, petrol to start, tractor venting oil to run. (petrol was rationed during WW2)
I`m also wondering about the availability and price of kero, They sell small quantities in the hardware store as a cleaner. Jet engines run on kero but I don`t think I could rock up with a jerry can at the local airport, probably get myself shot for terrorism.
Thanks for all the good info, food for thought.
Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 04:45:05 AM »
Hey Glort, one of my jobs in the Royal Air Force was cleaning out aircraft fuel tanks. There is a fungus which grows in aviation turbine fuel. There were two ways to do it, one involved a head to toe rubber suit with a forced air respirator. Would take forever with all the protective gear. The other way to do it was in a pair of overalls with a buddy watching you through the door. Took about two hours and we got the rest of the day off, in the pub by lunchtime, happy days. Wonder what the Elf`n safety would make of that nowadays?

I sent the Gumtree guy a message asking for more info and pictures, haven`t heard anything back yet but will post pics if I get them.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 05:06:46 AM »
I wonder if pickling our deputy prime minister in hydrocarbons would stop him from breeding? Might be worth a go.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 10:13:12 AM »
Do these run straight kero or are they started on petrol and then switched over?

You start on petrol and when warmed up switch over to kerosene. If this is an early engine (and memory serves me correct) it should have two float chambers (one for petrol and one for kerosene). Later vaporisers were much simplified in this respect for cost saving purposes etc.

Had an old wartime Dexter tractor that had twin fuel tanks, petrol to start, tractor venting oil to run. (petrol was rationed during WW2)

I doubt it, as Ford Dexter tractors were in production from 1957 to 1964 (though a TVO option was available), your possibly thinking of Fordson E27N or earlier still Fordson Standard

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 10:01:01 PM »
Hi Listard-jp2, Very interested in that twin carburettor/vaporiser set up now. I emailed the seller asking for photos.

You are probably right about that tractor, it was 45 years ago and my memory isn`t what it was, definitely a twin fuel engine but make uncertain.