Puppeteer

Author Topic: Best Generator for a Lister SR2?  (Read 3438 times)

queenofjacks

• View Profile
Best Generator for a Lister SR2?
« on: January 19, 2018, 03:19:26 PM »
I will be acquiring a Lister SR2 project, soon and was looking for some advice as to the best generator head to bolt up to it.  Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!  Thanks,
                        Charlie
Lovson 10/1  7.5KW - Power Solutions 20/2  12KW - Lister SR2 7.5KW - 2-Lister 8/1's - Lister TR2 7.5KW

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Best Generator for a Lister SR2?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 04:58:52 PM »
Best financially and best technically will be two different things. Your expected use of the machine and also budget will determine best choice for you.

Chinese ST belt driven can be a good combination as long as you purchase a decent quality ST with copper windings.

If you have a large enough budget, Marathon and Stamford are good names. Expect to triple or quadruple the cost for these. There are decent in-between choices... Stamford brushless clones are available at 1/2 the name-brand pricing.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

queenofjacks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 05:51:08 PM »
  I really don't want to use a belt driven generator.  This Lister will take a "bolt on" type generator -- circular bolt pattern - 6 or 8 bolts.  If I went belt driven, then I would have to buy a stub shaft adapter and pulley's and belts and a mount.  Bolt on works much better on this engine.  I used to have an HR2 with a 15 KW Lima Brushless Alternator when I lived in the Bahamas.  That was a super generator!  The SR2 is the "Little Brother" to the HR2.   This engine will need a 6-8 KW generator.  -- Charlie
Lovson 10/1  7.5KW - Power Solutions 20/2  12KW - Lister SR2 7.5KW - 2-Lister 8/1's - Lister TR2 7.5KW

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 03:46:47 AM »
Then you already know the answers to your question... direct-coupled high-end SAE standard head. You will be paying for adapters for your SR to include housing, drive hub, and flex plates. Then it is a matter of selecting the SAE head you prefer. Lister often used Stamford, but also many of the Marathon heads are in use with these. Big bucks.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 07:52:05 AM »
What did you end up getting for your sr2 ?

Sprocket/belt or direct drive?

I have a SR2 with a 5.5Kw ( of unknow manufacture ) generator head

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 11:20:49 AM »
I guess you didn't notice this topic is 4 years old and the OP hasn't logged on since 2020. He probably isn't going to see your question.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel